Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #18106
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Those MX51s are the stock tire on my WR450F. I really like them so why change. Right now I'm running weird Czechoslovakian Mitas brand tires that I got in Torreon and threw on in a pinch. They cost $120 in Mexico and are worth about $40. I will be happy to get those Dunlops back on.

I'll save over $300USD by buying those 3 tires in the US instead of Mexico, which will pay for all of my gas for traveling plus dinner at Joe's Crab Shack down at the Riverwalk. Mexico enjoy your ridiculously high import taxes while I go shopping in Texas? Viva USA!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/277/12...irst-Ride.aspx
and the problem with Mitas tires is...????
Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #18107
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
and the problem with Mitas tires is...????
The one I got (EF-07) has a very weird looking tread on it. Maybe some kind of advanced Czech technology, but it looks like a cheap ($40) tire. I just looked it up and was surprised to see it cost about $95 in the US. Who knows, maybe it will wear extremely well. But it definitely doesn't track through a dirt corner like the Geomax MX51's did.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #18108
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
We run both the C-20/C-21 and the C-17/C-18 Mitas about 1100 MXN each. Some guys run the C-18 also. Wear like iron. Never seen the EF-07 so don't know about that one.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #18109
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
We run both the C-20/C-21 and the C-17/C-18 Mitas about 1100 MXN each. Some guys run the C-18 also. Wear like iron. Never seen the EF-07 so don't know about that one.
It's good to know that Mitas makes some good tires, because I know a guy here who can get me one in a day!

As far as value goes, I have seen very few cases and you probably too, where motorcycles, motorcycle parts, and motorcycle accessories are a better value in Mexico than in the US. Labor on the other hand! $100 dollars to change the new tire vs. 100 pesos! They must use golden wrenches in the US! Viva Mexico!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #18110
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
SR - just got done roosting with your MX51s mounted on the KTM

Excellent tires!

Can't wait to try your other stuff too!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #18111
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
That tire is just about the opposite of the Shinko 705s I have setting in the garage. Riding the 51 on pavement would have to feel like ya had a tank track on back.
Hey George don't forget you're on deck for the 2014 Ruta Run. You've already calculated your mileage through the Copper Canyon so decide on your tires and get your jalapeño on.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #18112
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Can you please leave me a little tread at least on the edges!

How about the motorcycle jack? I should have gotten one years ago.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #18113
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I don't know if you mean you ordered a jack and it's coming here, but I have an extra cycle lift here you're welcome to take back to Durango if you wish.

I retired from doing free KLR doohickie-ectomies so I don't need two lifts anymore. I did about 30 free doohickie jobs for KLR owners across Texas. Worst example: a brand new KLR that didn't even have the factory doohickie installed
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #18114
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I don't know if you mean you ordered a jack and it's coming here, but I have an extra cycle lift here you're welcome to take back to Durango if you wish.

I retired from doing free KLR doohickie-ectomies so I don't need two lifts anymore. I did about 30 free doohickie jobs for KLR owners across Texas. Worst example: a brand new KLR that didn't even have the factory doohickie installed
I did order a cycle lift but I will take a look at yours and maybe we can make a deal.

Along those lines, I recently made the choice to retire from all self inflicted auto mechanics and I bequeathed my jackstands and roller dolly to my 17 year old Nephew. The logic being that I never plan to purposefully be underneath another automobile as long as I live

That could all change if I move back to the US and start looking at a $300 bill to change the break pads and tighten up the emergency break cable. But we will see about that.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #18115
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
The one I got (EF-07) has a very weird looking tread on it. Maybe some kind of advanced Czech technology, but it looks like a cheap ($40) tire. I just looked it up and was surprised to see it cost about $95 in the US. Who knows, maybe it will wear extremely well. But it definitely doesn't track through a dirt corner like the Geomax MX51's did.
I'm thinkin a lot of stuff looks weird to a guy who studies rocks

as of several months ago Mitas tires were not available in the USA. The only dealer was MX1 in Richmond, BC Canada. US customers were buying their tires from that store.

I just finished a 15000km trip with E07 mounted on my Yamaha Super Tenere. They hook up nicely on sand and loose gravel and should easily go 20000 km.

My only complaint is they are noisy and the front tire tread has cupped. They are cheaper and better than the equivalent Heidenau's IMO.

My rental bike in Africa had E09's which are more off road oriented than the E07. Most excellent tire but done in 5000km
Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #18116
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I'm thinkin a lot of stuff looks weird to a guy who studies rocks

as of several months ago Mitas tires were not available in the USA. The only dealer was MX1 in Richmond, BC Canada. US customers were buying their tires from that store.

Looking at rocks all day long does awful things to ones mind.

Looking at it closer, the Mitas I found online were in Canada not the US.

We are trying to get through Halloween night here in Durango. They do it a little differently here. A bunch of kids come up to the door shouting "Queremos Halloween". The teenagers are all armed with eggs and your house will get one if you don't deliver.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #18117
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Hey George don't forget you're on deck for the 2014 Ruta Run. You've already calculated your mileage through the Copper Canyon so decide on your tires and get your jalapeño on.
Do we have a date yet for 2014? I'm on hook for a Northern India trip in second half of June. I expect I'll need new tars in the spring so can choose the appropriate pair then.

Did my first real ride on the DRZ to Salton Sea and back last weekend. Might need to add a cooling fan before heading into the desert for real. First tank was 4-lane blast, 275 miles, 6+ gallons. Second tank was part sand, part rutted 2-lane gravel, and a lot of paved 2-lane. Kept the speed down, made 373 miles, 6.7 gallons. Never did go to reserve but had to be very close.

Here's a pic on the beach:

George 99 screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 07:14 PM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #18118
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 811
Quote:

On the subject of Real 14 and GSs in Mexico: Fred Fletcher lost his final drive on the road out of Real a few years ago.

Down off the mountain, he tried his cell phone, got a signal, and was able to connect with his Mexico insurance carrier - they arranged a truck to come get his bike and transport it to Monterrey. He worked the problem from there.

Lot's of folks don't understand the many side benefits of carrying Mexico insurance - they're still at the "first glance" stage and think it's only for accidents.

PS - Tom says you stayed at Los Arcos and are quite the interesting personality!
Indeed I stayed at Los Arcos. Lovely spot and great hosts. Did Tom get his guitar and fine selection of harmonicas out? Maybe after the Bacanora? I look forward to returning there on my next trip south. On another note, your bottle of wine will be leaving the Okanagan Valley on a flight to Phoenix tomorrow. A friend of ours is going to visit my wife who is at our place in Scottsdale. From there my wife will ship it to you as soon as she has the chance...unless of course she doesn't follow directions. PM me your mailing address when you have a sec.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #18119
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:

Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #18120
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Did my first real ride on the DRZ to Salton Sea and back last weekend. Might need to add a cooling fan before heading into the desert for real........................
Nice looking DRZ George. I had a DRZ 400E in Mexico for about 4 years and rode the hell out of it. I recently traded it for a WR450F but I still miss a few things about it. Mostly the nice soft ride.

I would be surprised if you need an auxiliary fan. Mine seemed to have a very efficient cooling system and only started to boil up maybe a couple of times that I can recall in extreme conditions. It has a lot of radiator fluid and a lot of oil. The fan and its intermittent power load could bring a load of new problems.

My dos centavos.

SR screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 08:47 PM