ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #7651
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Sounds good....so how about Friday? Something just came up for Thursday.
I think I can do that. you can always text me as well. pm'ing you my phone number.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #7652
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
Was kinda fun digging those out of the archive.... they were taken about 4 yrs ago.... however have been up one other time since. If so desired... one can connect almost entirely via singletrack from Granite ..... Rabbit (Whoopty Hell), Hungarian, Barber Flat, Horse Haven.
I just looked over my map to follow the routes you're referring to. Are these the trails used in the annual 2-day qualifier enduro? How dual-sport bike friendly are they? We rode trail 593 a few weeks ago which goes from Bald Mnt. into ID City and it was nice. But I've also been on trail 122, the William Pouge trail at it was a side-hill traverse that I did not like. It'll be interesting to explore more of those routes. Thanks again.
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #7653
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlibre View Post
I just looked over my map to follow the routes you're referring to. Are these the trails used in the annual 2-day qualifier enduro? How dual-sport bike friendly are they? We rode trail 593 a few weeks ago which goes from Bald Mnt. into ID City and it was nice. But I've also been on trail 122, the William Pouge trail at it was a side-hill traverse that I did not like. It'll be interesting to explore more of those routes. Thanks again.
Trails past Garman Crk I don't believe are ran in the qualifier any more.... the ones closer to Granite (Hoodoo , Lower Rabbit (whoopty hell ) might be included depending on which side of HWY 21 they are set up on. Unfortunately I have have seen IC trails in pretty good shape get torn to hell after the qualifier, so it can be hit or miss.

A good staging spot for this loop would be Moores Summit... take Rabbit (167) to the first intersection to then drop into German Crk, take the road into Barber Flat and connect Barber Flat (049) to Grand Mtn (061) to Horse Haven (050) .... Horse haven climbs up to West Warrior (051) which pops you out right below the lookout. The trails along the west side of the look out are typical Idaho intermediate ..... taking West Warrior past the lookout will turn into more advanced switchback hell once you drop off the ridge.

From the LO, you can backtrack West Warrior/Horse Haven or drop down the road, which is pretty much an ATV track. Once back on Swanholm Road, the adventure isn't over, there are multiple routes to get back depending on which direction you want to go.... routing back to Barber Flat will allow you to run back up Hungarian (166) to Moores.

.....Grand Mountain Trail (061), Browns Creek Trail (048)
, ...... Road 348 out of Deer Park, the Bear Summit ATV Trails (288) that Jason and I rode in his last report.

I have found that including too much singletrack can really extend your day.... so for the sake of covering some ground I will usually route most of my DS loops through the more scenic roads and connect short trail sections....

Road 312 into Graham is a fun and scenic out and back, you can connect Horse Haven out of Graham, but you have to cross Johnson Creek which can be problematic .... and as with all the above mentioned trails, deadfall can be an issue.

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #7654
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
I think I can do that. you can always text me as well. pm'ing you my phone number.
I.m out Have to get some stuff done around the house before it gets cold. Contractor is making a shed foundation tomorrow and I want/need to assemble the sauna I just got off CL. This rain is making me want to get it all done now before it really gets cold. I'll call and make sure you get the message. Have a great, safe ride.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #7655
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
So, any of your hooligans seen any grouse while out riding? Looking to get some bird hunting in. Any up on the Boise Ridge? Inquiring minds would like to know. I am still trying to figure out how to mount a Koplin gun carrier on my bike Guess I could just sling it over my back but OH the stares I'd get.

Really anyone seen a good grouse area? I like this guys setup.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #7656
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,921
Hi Sam,

We have used contender pistols with the 10" .45/.410 barrel and #9 shot for years. Ride all day and never notice the shotgun on your hip.
Very effective at 20 yards or less on hundreds of grouse. Shoulder, bandolier, or hip holster depending on what you like. Change out the barrel for another caliber or unscrew the choke for a .45 . I did that once and went stalking a bear on a hillside then got some common sense and quit trying to find the bear.

We usually have a running bet and if each of us gets grouse the one who has the most pellets in the breast has to cook dinner ( usually 1 or 2 pellets will get you dinner duty).

If you are shooting wild flushing birds this is not a good set up though I have gotten several in flight. It is not something I would want most people to try and I do not unless it is a good setup. You would probably do fine with that. The trigger is good from the factory and can be made really good.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #7657
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
.22 pistol can serve for grouse duty, too, and easier to carry along then a shotgun....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #7658
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
So, any of your hooligans seen any grouse while out riding? Looking to get some bird hunting in. Any up on the Boise Ridge? Inquiring minds would like to know. I am still trying to figure out how to mount a Koplin gun carrier on my bike Guess I could just sling it over my back but OH the stares I'd get.

Really anyone seen a good grouse area? I like this guys setup.

Have seen a few on the backside of Pilot PK in the area down towards Lowman ....

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #7659
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sam,I had hounds for many years and drove a lot of roads.The most grouse and turkeys I saw on a regular basis was in the Council area.Go up No Business Lookout road and bear right towards Cotton Wood Creek.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #7660
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Hi'ya Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
Hi Sam,

We have used contender pistols with the 10" .45/.410 barrel and #9 shot for years. Ride all day and never notice the shotgun on your hip.
Very effective at 20 yards or less on hundreds of grouse. Shoulder, bandolier, or hip holster depending on what you like. Change out the barrel for another caliber or unscrew the choke for a .45 . I did that once and went stalking a bear on a hillside then got some common sense and quit trying to find the bear.
Now that is funny and well stupid at the same time. On that note, I have a Ruger Blackhawk single .44 mag in 10.5" I use to use for deer hunting while riding my TW back in the 90's. I thought about that cause CCI's shotshell for it is around 210 pellets #9 for 10 rounds. But been a long time since I bought that stuff and the box in my safe has a $5.50 price tag.... it's well over that now about $14.00 dollars if you can find it. ....... What the hell is going on with ammo?

We usually have a running bet and if each of us gets grouse the one who has the most pellets in the breast has to cook dinner ( usually 1 or 2 pellets will get you dinner duty). I don't mind cooking, rather enjoy it. On the bright side He who cooks doesn't wash dishes

If you are shooting wild flushing birds this is not a good set up though I have gotten several in flight. It is not something I would want most people to try and I do not unless it is a good setup. You would probably do fine with that. The trigger is good from the factory and can be made really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
.22 pistol can serve for grouse duty, too, and easier to carry along then a shotgun....
Thanks Tom, I have one of those too, but that is a tough shot....... well for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRBILL View Post
Sam,I had hounds for many years and drove a lot of roads.The most grouse and turkeys I saw on a regular basis was in the Council area.Go up No Business Lookout road and bear right towards Cotton Wood Creek.
FXRBILL, thanks man! I use to hunt turkey with my daughter out of Council, good times for sure! The original owner of the Gateway knew prettty good as I kept an RV there year round. Just thinking of someplace closer to the Boise to kill a few hours.

Aldous Huxley
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #7661
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Have seen a few on the backside of Pilot PK in the area down towards Lowman ....

That might be a good idea, a light dusting of snow would be good too.

Aldous Huxley
Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #7662
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Quote:
Trails past Garman Crk I don't believe are ran in the qualifier any more.... the ones closer to Granite (Hoodoo , Lower Rabbit (whoopty hell ) might be included depending on which side of HWY 21 they are set up on. Unfortunately I have have seen IC trails in pretty good shape get torn to hell after the qualifier, so it can be hit or miss.

A good staging spot for this loop would be Moores Summit... take Rabbit (167) to the first intersection to then drop into German Crk, take the road into Barber Flat and connect Barber Flat (049) to Grand Mtn (061) to Horse Haven (050) .... Horse haven climbs up to West Warrior (051) which pops you out right below the lookout. The trails along the west side of the look out are typical Idaho intermediate ..... taking West Warrior past the lookout will turn into more advanced switchback hell once you drop off the ridge.

From the LO, you can backtrack West Warrior/Horse Haven or drop down the road, which is pretty much an ATV track. Once back on Swanholm Road, the adventure isn't over, there are multiple routes to get back depending on which direction you want to go.... routing back to Barber Flat will allow you to run back up Hungarian (166) to Moores.

.....Grand Mountain Trail (061), Browns Creek Trail (048)
, ...... Road 348 out of Deer Park, the Bear Summit ATV Trails (288) that Jason and I rode in his last report.

I have found that including too much singletrack can really extend your day.... so for the sake of covering some ground I will usually route most of my DS loops through the more scenic roads and connect short trail sections....

Road 312 into Graham is a fun and scenic out and back, you can connect Horse Haven out of Graham, but you have to cross Johnson Creek which can be problematic .... and as with all the above mentioned trails, deadfall can be an issue.

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/

You're definitely an awesome resource to tap into and I appreciate it as it sounds like you know the area really well. I've been reviewing the routes you mentioned on my map, the trails.idaho website and Google Earth. I've also seen the trail heads of a few during rides along the north and middle forks of the Boise but I was either riding alone or had my wife along. I'm looking forward to riding some of them and like you say, it's best to plan only a few since they can take up some time. You guy were certainly were well prepared when you ran into some deadfall on singletrack and were able to cut and move it. That looked like a pretty big tree too. I imagine it's not until mid-summer until crews have gone through the area to clear most of it.

I also like that road 312 route but too bad there isn't a bridge on Johnson's creek since that would indeed make for a really nice loop ride.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #7663
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
I.m out Have to get some stuff done around the house before it gets cold. Contractor is making a shed foundation tomorrow and I want/need to assemble the sauna I just got off CL. This rain is making me want to get it all done now before it really gets cold. I'll call and make sure you get the message. Have a great, safe ride.
Hey I got your message. was out riding when you called. Decided to take the Aprilia to the Old Fort Boise check point. May just do Swan Falls later today, as some stuff came up in my schedule as well. We'll have to re-schedule a ride a later time!

MingRidesBikes screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 10:18 AM
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #7664
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlibre View Post
You're definitely an awesome resource to tap into and I appreciate it as it sounds like you know the area really well. I've been reviewing the routes you mentioned on my map, the trails.idaho website and Google Earth. I've also seen the trail heads of a few during rides along the north and middle forks of the Boise but I was either riding alone or had my wife along. I'm looking forward to riding some of them and like you say, it's best to plan only a few since they can take up some time. You guy were certainly were well prepared when you ran into some deadfall on singletrack and were able to cut and move it. That looked like a pretty big tree too. I imagine it's not until mid-summer until crews have gone through the area to clear most of it.

I also like that road 312 route but too bad there isn't a bridge on Johnson's creek since that would indeed make for a really nice loop ride.
I find great enjoyment in the exploration of hard to reach places by motorcycle.... plus it's a nice escape from the chaotic concrete jungle!

So many places to ride.... Gotta love Idaho!

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #7665
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Quote:
I find great enjoyment in the exploration of hard to reach places by motorcycle.... plus it's a nice escape from the chaotic concrete jungle!

So many places to ride.... Gotta love Idaho!
Yeah for sure!... Ride-on!