ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #151
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Looks like those OR dudes ride on the "Low" speed setting

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #152
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Yes, you have gotten under my skin.

If you don't like it here, STFU and finish out your sentence without your mindless bashing of our culture. Keep it to yourself That's how we roll around here.
That's how you roll. Sorry if the truth about this state bothers you so much. I will let you go bury your head back in the sand now, as I have made my point. Have a great evening.

As for anyone else who may wish to respond to this thread by attacking me...save it. I will take the same stance that many of you have taken....I DONT CARE.

With that...I'm out.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #153
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Looks like those OR dudes ride on the "Low" speed setting
That's my bike! I think that was somewhere in the Jemez.

When are we moving....I mean riding again??
I hear it's great this time of year a little further "south".
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #154
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I'll swap you. I am tired of the high desert. To much sun and too many fires. I am looking to retire north of Bellingham in a few years. I am headed there this summer to go on a San Juan Kayak trip with my sons. Before we go Kayaking I will be spending a few days bumming around the area. Maybe heading in to Victora.

Good luck in your New Mexico search. I hope that you find what it is that you are looking for.
This thread strikes me as funny. We just bought a house in Enumclaw WA to be near our sons (although one is in Redmond and the other in Poulsbo). I love the Mt. Rainier area and just bought a cheap jeep to go four wheeling along with the DR650. I certainly would rather live in Colorado or NM and although we have our house for sale in Colorado, it is only so we have money to give the kids. Colorado is still the best place in the US, but I have to admit that all the moisture in the Washington Cascades is great for my sinuses.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #155
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Congrat's on the second retirement. I suggest moving to New Hampshire.

Did this guy soil the image of NM?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #156
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
That's my bike! I think that was somewhere in the Jemez.

When are we moving....I mean riding again??
I hear it's great this time of year a little further "south".

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #157
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
This thread strikes me as funny. We just bought a house in Enumclaw WA to be near our sons (although one is in Redmond and the other in Poulsbo). I love the Mt. Rainier area and just bought a cheap jeep to go four wheeling along with the DR650. I certainly would rather live in Colorado or NM and although we have our house for sale in Colorado, it is only so we have money to give the kids. Colorado is still the best place in the US, but I have to admit that all the moisture in the Washington Cascades is great for my sinuses.

I can't wait to join you. I've always wanted to test the waters of the PNW. Now I have to wait until I retire. Which might be perfect. That way if the winters are getting me down, I can pack up and head to the desert for some sunshine.

I stand by my Forest fire statement. Fire is a game changer. Not just during the event but for years after. If I were to bitch about anything down here. It would be how the Santa Fe Forest service handled fire abatement for years before the 2000 fires. Back when the forest was open for travel. The FS wanted the forest floor cleaned up. But instead of allowing for the logging company to use all the existing roads and trails. The FS wanted them to use a cable logging operation. That drove the price of doing that work way up. I will never understand how someone would be willing to trade a few tracks in the forest for this devastation that we are currently dealing with. The old growth forest was taken by robber barrens. But this second growth forest is being mismanaged to death. It's a waist of our nations natural resources.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #158
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Well I have a few comments.
I have ridden with Coastie and consider him a good friend, he is a nice guy dedicated to his work but is just "burnt out" with NM......... He doesn't like the heat or the wind and some of the people here in Alamogordo and NM can be abrasive and impolite with stupid politicians. Plus he borrowed my Stapler and didn't bring it back so he owes me lunch at Rudy's Sunday.

I moved here from Ft. Collins CO in 2004 to get away from people and all the pollution and traffic and short tempers that come from too many people and the snow and cold and wind. I am semi-retired or semi-retarded as Coastie calls it. I had a successful business for 30+ years but just got "burnt out" with CO and everything that comes with it. The place is worthless to me from Nov. 1st thru mid March if you don't like cold and snow etc. When I left the place I didn't look back and dislike going back. I was burnt out with CO but still take a ride up there in the warmer months whenever possible but stay away from the Front Range, yes the wind blows there.

My opinion of NM is a bit or a lot different. The weather in Southern NM can't be beat for year round conditions. Yes it can be cool to cold in the winter and dry hot to hot and humid in July and August but nowhere as severe as other areas of the country. I feel the people here are nice, will wave you thru a stop sign rather than them floor it to beat you but at the same time some don't know how to drive. Housing is inexpensive, utilities can be cheap as my furnace has not run yet and use AC for a few months and not constantly. License plates are cheap and taxes average. Yes NM is a poor state and has political BS going on constantly, just like any state, is it worse, I do not know, maybe just in a different way. Money for the Govt to spend comes from population paying taxes.

Will we stay here forever?? I don't know but have traveled a lot and haven't found a place that seems better for us at this point in our lives. But my wife want's to retire some place green. I will not shovel snow or chop wood.

Gordy, I appreciated you comments about the Elks. I went "thru the chairs" at the lodge in FT. C and the last year we were there put up with "people", then moved and never looked back. I am a member here but don't want the politics of that type of organization and stay away. That doesn't mean the people or the Elks are bad, it just can be some people and attitudes that are found in any organization or club. They do a lot of good and a lot of fun can be had there at the same time. That said I can't see Coastie in that type of place.

Before we moved here I did a lot of research and then some. My favorite site to find info is city-data dot com. Lots of statistics, crime rates, weather averages, median wages and housing prices etc etc. But they do not have info on where you have to press "1" for English.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #159
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Well I have a few comments.
I have ridden with Coastie and consider him a good friend, he is a nice guy dedicated to his work but is just "burnt out" with NM......... He doesn't like the heat or the wind and some of the people here in Alamogordo and NM can be abrasive and impolite with stupid politicians. Plus he borrowed my Stapler and didn't bring it back so he owes me lunch at Rudy's Sunday.

I moved here from Ft. Collins CO in 2004 to get away from people and all the pollution and traffic and short tempers that come from too many people and the snow and cold and wind. I am semi-retired or semi-retarded as Coastie calls it. I had a successful business for 30+ years but just got "burnt out" with CO and everything that comes with it. The place is worthless to me from Nov. 1st thru mid March if you don't like cold and snow etc. When I left the place I didn't look back and dislike going back. I was burnt out with CO but still take a ride up there in the warmer months whenever possible but stay away from the Front Range, yes the wind blows there.

My opinion of NM is a bit or a lot different. The weather in Southern NM can't be beat for year round conditions. Yes it can be cool to cold in the winter and dry hot to hot and humid in July and August but nowhere as severe as other areas of the country. I feel the people here are nice, will wave you thru a stop sign rather than them floor it to beat you but at the same time some don't know how to drive. Housing is inexpensive, utilities can be cheap as my furnace has not run yet and use AC for a few months and not constantly. License plates are cheap and taxes average. Yes NM is a poor state and has political BS going on constantly, just like any state, is it worse, I do not know, maybe just in a different way. Money for the Govt to spend comes from population paying taxes.

Will we stay here forever?? I don't know but have traveled a lot and haven't found a place that seems better for us at this point in our lives. But my wife want's to retire some place green. I will not shovel snow or chop wood.

Gordy, I appreciated you comments about the Elks. I went "thru the chairs" at the lodge in FT. C and the last year we were there put up with "people", then moved and never looked back. I am a member here but don't want the politics of that type of organization and stay away. That doesn't mean the people or the Elks are bad, it just can be some people and attitudes that are found in any organization or club. They do a lot of good and a lot of fun can be had there at the same time. That said I can't see Coastie in that type of place.

Before we moved here I did a lot of research and then some. My favorite site to find info is city-data dot com. Lots of statistics, crime rates, weather averages, median wages and housing prices etc etc. But they do not have info on where you have to press "1" for English.
Sorry, I can't do the Elks, VFW, Rotary, Lions, etc. As my buddy knows, and many of you now know, I don't play well with others.

Thanks for the kind words (I think) Gillus. I didn't steal your damn staple gun, just haven't brought it back yet. Maybe when we ride this weekend.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #160
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
I moved here from Ft. Collins CO in 2004 to get away from people and all the pollution and traffic and short tempers that come from too many people and the snow and cold and wind.
That's a first. Fort Collins has been ranked in the top 10 happiest cities many times. I moved to the FC area from Chicago 13 years ago. Perspective is everything.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #161
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202 View Post
Sorry, I can't do the Elks, VFW, Rotary, Lions, etc. As my buddy knows, and many of you now know, I don't play well with others.

Thanks for the kind words (I think) Gillus. I didn't steal your damn staple gun, just haven't brought it back yet. Maybe when we ride this weekend.
You definitely think highly of yourself. I'll give you that!
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #162
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
You definitely think highly of yourself. I'll give you that!
Somebody has too, may as well be me. After all, the only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself, and I'm fine with myself.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #163
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
That's a first. Fort Collins has been ranked in the top 10 happiest cities many times. I moved to the FC area from Chicago 13 years ago. Perspective is everything.
You should have grown up in Ft. C when the streets were wide enough to handle the traffic and Taft Hill road was a two lane and a dirt road south of Prospect. Now there is a traffic light at every other intersection so all the people can aid in the congestion. When we visited Alamogordo before we moved here it reminded my wife and I how Ft. C was when we were growing up. Coming from a place like Chicago, Ft. C may feel like a small town.

It is a wonderful beautiful place, happy as you want it to be. As you say perspective is everything.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #164
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I can't wait to join you. I've always wanted to test the waters of the PNW. Now I have to wait until I retire. Which might be perfect. That way if the winters are getting me down, I can pack up and head to the desert for some sunshine.
Some parts of the NW are really nice. Take this lookout tower hill off HWY 410 where I took these two pictures today:

Note that the wife is standing at exactly one mile high (Sun Top Lookout). Had to try the new cheapjeep out after I put in new plugs and wires.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #165
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,523
Great photos.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote