ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Oddometer: 359
Remember my Tengai project?

I'm dang-near done with this restoration that I started 2 years ago. Trust me, finding parts for this bad boy ain't easy.
I have decals for it that I'm debating on the placement. I have other goodies about to go on it as of yet, just waiting for cases.
What I need is help getting it running! I am getting sick of taking the carburetor apart and I'm beginning to think it's something else. Is there a KLR guru in Fort Collins who can help out really soon so I can ride it!? I need my doohickey installed too, so tools would be great! I've got money to pay, things to gift you, and one night flings available if you can get me on the road!
I feel like a shmuck asking for help but I sometimes a guy needs to bite the bullet.

L-ucky-S-ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,219
cool

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Awww thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 742
I can help. If you still need it.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,189
Nice KLRT dude!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,141
Please give more details about it not running. Fuel, compression and timed fire. You have to have them all. There are other carbs available if that is the last option. But give us some details of your symptoms and what you have eliminated.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahtize View Post
Nice KLRT dude!
Thanks man! Took a while, and it's collecting dust. But I did buy another car so I'm working on it too.

I've just started chatting with Dusty about this, but I've got spark and fuel and air all available. That is to say that I'm pretty sure that it's all accounted for including vac leaks eliminated. The reason that I'm "pretty sure" is clear because it's not running.
The one thing I have yet to do is compression and I am leaning towards a stuck valve or very* poor valve clearance. I'm seeking valve help only because I would like to have a competent person aiding me in that performance. As I mentioned, I'm fairly new to bikes and carbs and checking their valve clearances.
Thinking of compression testing and then life was happening again so I put it on the back-burner to simmer.

edit, symptoms are cranking and cranking and cranking. Or, cranking and starting up for 10 second and then shutting down. Or, almost starting after cranking and cranking and just not catching. It ran last year and I rode it around a bit and then while sitting it developed the aforementioned symptoms. That led me to crack the carb, and then double check it, and then triple check it, and then it was getting old trying to find something that I missed that I was unsure even existed.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

I may be able to help Sunday afternoon. Would that work for you?
COHVCO #7369
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Beautiful bike!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,898
Wow, UPS brown. Looks great!

If it's firing up and then dying, it sounds more like a fuel issue.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,458
Have you replaced the pilot jet? Will it run with Choke?

If you open the drain on the bottom of the carb does fuel go through the carb?

This sounds like fuel or timing to me.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Remember my Tengai project?

I'm thinking your petcock diaphragm has a hole that is flooding your engine. When mine had that problem it would only run if completely revved up. And would only start with throttle held wide open after cranking at least 10 seconds.
This Sunday am should work for me. PM me your locale and I can ride over. We can trade parts until we figure it out if that's what it takes.
COHVCO #7369

Dusty_Bottoms screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 06:47 AM
Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

All symptoms occur with only choke all the way out. I've got the aftermarket, brass plunger enrichener. I took it out, inspected it for flaws, sealed with teflon, and then reinstalled so the issue still exists.

I rebuilt the petcock a while back, and it was actually fairly lately that I was considering it being a problem too. I was contemplating buying a new raptor petcock or whichever one eliminates the vacuum.
Dusty, I'm in Colorado Springs for the night and may not make it up to Fort until noon. How about I just purchase a new petcock just to eliminate it as a component in case I screwed it up.
Thinking back as hard as I can and the petcock rebuild *might correspond with the time where it stopped running. That idea is kind of concealed until now because it was parked for so long while I refreshed everything and I may not have started it up for a long while at times especially after the petcock.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

I continued to diagnose the bike and threw a couple more parts at it as well. Got the new petcock installed as well as some better fuel lines. Rehashed the clutch safety switch and the sidestand switch. Tried to warranty my battery because I thought it could still be the battery since I know they aren't exempt from failing straight from the factory but they said it was in good shape still. Sometimes I wonder about those guys!
I got a new battery anyways because I couldn't trust their comments on the condition of my original AGM and reassembled the bike and WHADDYA KNOW! The bike now runs.
I don't know if it was a combination of these or maybe entirely the petcock or battery, but I have to give credit where it's due!
Thanks Dusty! Because it's entirely likely that it could have been my poor job at rebuilding the original.
There are still a couple of bugs to work out as with any 23yr old bike but I'm ecstatic to finally ride it around.

I'm currently installing a different subframe because the rack I'm installing didn't fit either the Tengai or the 2008 frame with the plastics too. So. I've got some massive cases that are going on soon and then I'll be nearly finished. SW motech crash bars, raising links for the rear, and some other little doo-dads and I'm finished!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Well done! That's a nice color. Burgundy? That pic was taken about a mile from my house. I'm riding to Estes park today wanna go?
COHVCO #7369