ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #9856
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
I've used it plenty for a number of applications. I don't know that it's any more rugged than the 76 but the display alone isn't even in the same game for sure.

What I miss are my x76/x96's. I wish they were still supported. It's still got a better display than those but there are plenty of other x76/x96 users that preferred them too...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #9857
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
I posted my thoughts as to Montana accuracy and the real world (p654, post 9804) and won't rehash it to death ........

Now that users of other models (78) are reporting similar GPS map behavior I believe this discussion warrants a thread of it's own.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 01:37 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #9858
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
....Now that users of other models (78) are reporting similar GPS map behavior I believe this discussion warrants a thread of it's own.

Bruce
Do you know where I can find those discussions? I haven't see them and wouldn't be surprised [anymore] though. If I can get some users of other units to gather data showing some similar behavior, I'd be more than happy to take the position error discussion to a "map heading & position accuracy problem" thread....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #9859
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Now that users of other models (78) are reporting similar GPS map behavior I believe this discussion warrants a thread of it's own. Bruce
Agree, do it!

My gut feel is that 62/78/Montana all behave the same and very differfent than last generation units. I commented on this issue in the 76 vs 78 thread. A new thread may inform users of the other models of the issue.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #9860
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
My gut feel is that 62/78/Montana all behave the same and very different than last generation units. I commented on this issue in the 76 vs 78 thread. A new thread may inform users of the other models of the issue.
That's where I saw it and as a result has me questioning if other recent models also exhibit this issue, namely the 62 and the new Oregon 6XX. Also curious to see a report on the Montarra when available.

Doesn't make sense to continue this discussion at length here as it has already been documented and may have caused a major contributor to this thread (post 9781) to keep clear for now.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 02:54 PM
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #9861
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,131
Quote:
That's where I saw it and as a result has me questioning if other recent models also exhibit this issue, namely the 62 and the new Oregon 6XX. Also curious to see a report on the Montarra when available.

Doesn't make sense to continue this discussion at length here as it has already been documented and may have caused a major contributor to this thread (post 9781) to keep clear for now.

Bruce
Not to worry about me...no snow yet so I'm out riding. As for the stationary "filtering" that this device does/doesn't do, my map doesn't swing around as it seems other units do. These are just some of my tracks for the past 10mos and the Montana has done a fine job every mile...28K+ and counting.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #9862
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not to worry about me...no snow yet so I'm out riding.
Good so glad to hear that you found better things to do, I'm so used to seeing several posts a day from you in this thread! Personally with all you have contributed I thought the term used was out of line and was surprised the poster chose not to edit it or apologize.

As a very long time GPS user I do find Steve's results somewhat interesting but enough already. If he or someone else chooses to start a new thread on the subject of position accuracy and how the units handle deviation I will likely partake, but I will not be adding to the discussion here.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #9863
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Has anybody replaced the digitizer on their Montana?

I'm out on vacation and the screen quit responding to inputs, then I noticed water under the outer screen. I pulled it apart and found a small crack in the plastic.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #9864
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
Has anybody replaced the digitizer on their Montana?

I'm out on vacation and the screen quit responding to inputs, then I noticed water under the outer screen. I pulled it apart and found a small crack in the plastic.
The only repair option I am aware of is to obtain a replacement unit from Garmin. Is yours still in warranty? Even if not, if you ask them nicely, and ask if yours is part of the early version touchscreen failure group, they may replace it for a very favorable price :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #9865
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Now that users of other models (78) are reporting similar GPS map behavior I believe this discussion warrants a thread of it's own.

Bruce
I agree, this has gone on long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Do you know where I can find those discussions? I haven't see them and wouldn't be surprised [anymore] though. If I can get some users of other units to gather data showing some similar behavior, I'd be more than happy to take the position error discussion to a "map heading & position accuracy problem" thread....
With all due respect....... Please start a new thread. If there are others are out there that share your interest they will join you in that thread.

Quote:

Bruce
Although this thread still has a lot of very helpful information and people willing to help new users, it has become corrupted to the point that if I was a new user who just came across this thread, I would probably look elsewhere after a few pages.

Thankfully I get email updates to look over to see if there is anything of interest. Without those emails I probably would have unsubscribed from this thread quite awhile ago.

Sorry for the rant. I usually keep my mouth shut but it finally got to me and I had to say something.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Jon...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #9866
jrsue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I agree, . I recently decided to buy the Montana. I have been using Garmin GPS since 97. And for the last 8 years 176 then 376 then 478. I knew at some point I needed to upgrade and coming here for my primary research I decided to give the Montana and BaseCamp a shot, and now 2 weeks in, I am very glad I did. Its a great GPS loaded with features and capabilities. Still not real fond of the touch screen but I am adapting.

The biggest and most worthwhile improvement over my stable of 376's is the Improved reciver, this thing locks in and holds fix forever, If nothing else the Montana is worth the uprade over 376 for this alone.

Regarding this thread. There is a TON of complaints here about the Montana, and many unwarranted. I focused on the positive, listened to the negative, and came to the conclusion the Montana was a worthy upgrade. However someone reading all the negative here could easily be swayed to disqualify the Montana, and purchase a lesser GPS, and never realize what all can actually be done with receiver as capable as the Montana. JMHO
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #9867
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
I agree.....There is a TON of complaints here about the Montana, and many unwarranted.
Just out of curiosity, how does one go about determining which complaints are warranted and which are not?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #9868
jrsue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does one go about determining which complaints are warranted and which are not?
Exactly my point, one could easily come away with thinking the Montana is more trouble than its worth.

For me, I decided many of the complaints were exaggerations and or user error. For me, it was the Correct Product analysis..I am very happy with the Montana, it does exactly what I was expecting no more no less.
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #9869
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
The ones that you agree with are warranted and the others are not

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #9870
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,266
There is a lot of good info in this thread just got to dig it out.

Someone with a lot of free time needs to make up an index.

There are some good links in the signatures of some inmates too.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote