ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
CaptRick OP
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,737
Off Topic I ditched the satellite dish

Well after kicking around how much TV do i really watch and how dam much I was paying for Direct TV ($ 90.00 a month after taxes and fees) I looked for a way out. I bought a Mohu Leaf Ultimate antennae and with that I am getting the major network broadcasts, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox plus a few other channels for free! I had an Apple TV already so I can get Hulu Plus ($ 8.00 a month), I also have Amazon Prime so I am able to get movies on the IPad and push them to my TV and I just ordered a Roku 3 for some additional streaming content. The total cost for all the new hardware was about $ 330.00 with a universal remote to tie it all together. In less than 4 months it will all be paid in the money saved on the satellite. The new monthly fees are $ 8.00 plus what ever movies I rent. All in all Im happy to tell Direct TV to pound sand!

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
I just got off the phone with Comcast and am pulling the plug also

I plan on doing basically what you did, but not sure how internet will work. I am looking into DSL or maybe some kind of 4G hotspot through a cell provider.

I was so tired of paying $120 to not have anything worth watching on TV and just using 3-4 channels.
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Now I have to look all that up to see what it is . Like to dump my dish also "57 channels and nothing on", more like 200 or so. We also only watch a handful of programs.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I plan on doing basically what you did, but not sure how internet will work. I am looking into DSL or maybe some kind of 4G hotspot through a cell provider.
Unless you have really great cell signal inside your house, the cell route is not a good way to go. I had internet via 3G, with decent signal, and it was only good enough for basic internet and email stuff.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
CaptRick OP
On dry land 4 now.....

I still have my Century Link land line with internet. I have 12 megs, what ever that means? I have the house set up with WiFi and I have the Apple TV and my Ipad hooked up to the Wifi. The picture quality for the over the air free channels on the Moho antennae are better than the Direct TV used to be.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Yeah I download TV Shows burn to a disc for .30 per disc and call it a day...LOL People are even so nice to cut commercials out. We also have Amazon Prime and stream that through the PS3.

I much rather pay for my 20Mbps connection then pay some crazy amount for TV too that I can download for free. I don't feel bad either as its the same as the days of recording with your VCR shows. Although we pulled our plug from Comcast TV they mailed us a standard box and lowered the price from $60 to $45. The catch I guess was that was for a year or something as now they jacked the rate to $83 (with tax). I got to figure what to do, whether to keep the standard box on our HDTV (who even owns a non HD TV nowadays...lol) or go into Comcast with Kiddo in tow and turn it in that or haggle and at least get HD with DVR for $80...that is all we paid back in MI and even the first few years here then they went apeshit and said NO WAY and wanted like $130....no way not for the shit shows that are on. Most within a year are on Amazon for free anyways and any good ones I do the download thing.

We are not sports people, so we don't care about that stuff. We buy lots of movies.....

OTA HD works great, we get like 20 channels on the entertainment TV that I have a $30 HD antenna hooked up too.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
It surprises me how much people pay per month for TV. It's not the one time purchase that kills ya, it's the monthly charges. I wish I had cable, an expensive phone plan etc. to cut back on but I don't. No cable / sat. TV, just an internet line I use for work and a cheapo prepaid $15 / month phone plan. Free Hulu streaming if I'm so inclined to watch something on the big screen.
Good for you.
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 725
Just got my roku last week and am adding channels to it. Research the hidden channels. LOTS of them. Also load Plex on your roku. Lots of tv shows stream with Plex. Telling Comcast to pound sand very soon. Just one list of some private channels.
http://removeandreplace.com/2013/05/...nel-code-list/

Thre is a good thread over in shiny things too.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924974
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,050
Two questions: Netflix or HuluPlus? Why?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,071
Dude, I've been doing pretty much the same set-up for years and I am very happy. The only person pissed is my daughter, who wants it around to watch baseball games, but that's it. It's great!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
CaptRick OP
On dry land 4 now.....

I went with Hulu plus as I had Netflix before but I felt like the Netflix selections were pretty limited, Hulu plus seems to have a better selection to me ?

Thanks for the tip on the Roku hidden channels!

It felt really good to tell Direct TV to go away! They kept offering to lower my rate for 12 months and even offered the NFL package for free. When I told them Id rather ride on Sundays, they gave up....

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
ronofthejungle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have had both Hulu plus and netflix.. it all depends on what you watch.

Netflix has more movies, but expect a limited selection of what comes out, and there will be a delay.

Hulu plus will have more current television shows.

I've have had them both, they are both ok, although I prefer more current shows so Hulu plus would be the recommendation.
ronofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerobus View Post
It surprises me how much people pay per month for TV.
Me too. Wow. I've lived without TV since around 1984. Every time I find myself sitting in front of one of the things, it reminds me why I choose to live without TV. The fact that people pay to bring that into their homes is just unfathomable to me.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I just got off the phone with Comcast and am pulling the plug also

I was so tired of paying $120 to not have anything worth watching on TV and just using 3-4 channels.
I have Comcast 50Mbit service for $35 and it'll go up to 65 after a year. No cable tv, no satellite and I really am not missing anything.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 725
Captnrick

Google roku hidden channels. There are more then what is in my original link. Not all,are winners, but there are some good ones. Found one that has classic cartoons. Old bugs bunny and stuff like that.
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote