Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Vetrix VT-1; what say you?

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/0...mph-top-speed/

62 mph top speed/55 mile range. Does this peak anyone's interest? No idea what countries they're thinking of releasing it to.

Outside of checking tires periodically I'm not sure what you would actually have to do to one of these. Oh, and no drive belt....

Discuss.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/0...mph-top-speed/

62 mph top speed/55 mile range. Does this peak anyone's interest? No idea what countries they're thinking of releasing it to.

Outside of checking tires periodically I'm not sure what you would actually have to do to one of these. Oh, and no drive belt....

Discuss.
Oh, and no drive belt.... or retail pricing.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Considering that Vetrix has gotten into serious financial trouble more than once in tha past decade, I'm surprised the company is an a position to build anything.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Considering that Vetrix has gotten into serious financial trouble more than once in tha past decade, I'm surprised the company is an a position to build anything.
Agree. There are still new 1st generation Vectrix's languishing unloved and unsold in some (unfortunate) dealerships here and there.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Redcloudisalive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Owned one for 2 years. Not a bad scooter except, poor factory/dealer support. I let my charge get too low which interfered with the recharging program. I had to wait 8 months and spend> $500 to get it running.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Electric scooters make sense for someone who only uses their scooter for short trips around town. They do save money on gas and maintenance but that will probably be outweighed by the high initial price.

Personally, I think electric vehicles are improving but still have a ways to go before they are really a practical alternative to internal combustion for most people.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
If you really want an electric scooter on the scale of the Vectrix, wait till next year and buy the BMW.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Actually, I think electric vehicles of all types will be much common in the coming years. I'm seeing it today; I park 15 feet from a Tesla model S at work.

As the technology continues to improve, it will require that we shift our thinking a bit. In my case a 16 mile round trip commute could be handled fine by most of the electric scooters out there, I'm simply not ready to give up the flexibility should I want to go further, beyond what the typical battery life provides. In truth, I ride less than 100 miles per week, and that includes my BMW.

Since scooters already typically get great mileage I don't really get the value proposition of replacing a cheap 70mpg vehicle with one that costs more and has a shorter range. Maybe one day, but not yet.

I'm much more intrigued with the Lit Motors prototype:
http://litmotors.com/

Sooner or later they actually have to start making them, and we'll then see if such an idea works in the real world.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Actually, I think electric vehicles of all types will be much common in the coming years. I'm seeing it today; I park 15 feet from a Tesla model S at work.

Since scooters already typically get great mileage I don't really get the value proposition of replacing a cheap 70mpg vehicle with one that costs more and has a shorter range. Maybe one day, but not yet.
The Tesla models are the ONLY electric vehicles Ive ever looked twice at. Sexy and attractive to rival the sleekest from Italy IMO.

Agree with you on electric scooters dabears....a solution to whats barely a problem since if significantly more people rode scooters and other vehicles with MPGe in that neighborhood gas would be plentiful and priced accordingly to reflect that.

Where they REALLY need to focus on this technology is trucks, and large SUV's where the American market tastes still seem to gravitate to.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
I was 35 miles into a 100+ mile trip when the belt broke. A 55 mile range wouldn't have done it. I passed a Nissan Leaf yesterday while riding my Stella.

But unless someone makes a major breakthrough, electric vehicles will remain expensive toys for the foreseeable future. While I have no interest in electric cars, motorcycles, or scooters I actually want an electric bicycle. Right by my house we have a canal, with a bike path alongside it. But it is 10 miles long, and would require a real world 20 mile range to ride from one end to the other and back. There is no such bicycle. Many of the super expensive ones claim such a range, but when you read the fine print, it requires some pedaling (which I can no longer do because of knee problems) and depends on rider weight and terrain.

Gas powered vehicles do not have these limitations, but cannot be ridden on bike paths.

The entire U.S. interstate highway system, the best in the world, would be useless for electric vehicles. Tesla is installing charging stations in some areas, but it takes a minimum of one hour to charge it. What do you do while waiting? It would take decades and cost billions to install enough of these charging stations to make electric vehicles usable on highways.

And do you think big oil is going to stand by and let that happen?

Look at the price of electric vehicles compared to far more practical gas powered vehicles. I put a 4 gallon gas tank on my XT225 to give me more range, and it is still not enough, so I rigged up a way to carry another gallon in two 1/2 gallon jugs in tank bags.

As for the looks of the Tesla, the Fisker Karma looks way better. Unfortunately they just went bankrupt, and the Chinese are interested in buying what's left. I predict the same thing for Tesla. They had a better long range plan, so it will take longer.

Anybody see the video of the Tesla that caught on fire after striking an object in the road?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Anybody see the video of the Tesla that caught on fire after striking an object in the road?
Yep. An ICE car may have caught fire too. I also saw the article where the responding FD praised the design of the car for 1. preventing the driver from being injured, and 2. making it a realtively easy fire to put out, and clean up after.

Didn't Ford have some trouble with the Pinto catching fire a good while back?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I could have sworn seeing an advertisment for a Vetrix scooter advertising the price as $7,500 and at the time it qualified for a $7,500 tax credit. So it was affectively free. However I don't know all the details and it was a few years ago.

I am warming up to electric vehicles. I think its the future as technology improves and we get more greenies in power. It will only be a given once they find out just how bad the automobile has been on human health and the enviroment all these years. Not that I buy all that nonsense and its not like electric vehicles are better for your health or the enviroment. They may in fact be worse.
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
I could have sworn seeing an advertisment for a Vetrix scooter advertising the price as $7,500 and at the time it qualified for a $7,500 tax credit. So it was affectively free. However I don't know all the details and it was a few years ago.

I am warming up to electric vehicles. I think its the future as technology improves and we get more greenies in power. It will only be a given once they find out just how bad the automobile has been on human health and the enviroment all these years. Not that I buy all that nonsense and its not like electric vehicles are better for your health or the enviroment. They may in fact be worse.
Good point. Electric vehicles sound like they're doing the environment a big favor, but that tends to ignore the source of the electricity that is charging them in the first place.

The one interesting factor about electric motors is that they can pull from a stop with significant power, and with scooters being used heavily in urban areas, that creates usable power for jumping from stoplight to stoplight.

I'm open to new technology, but it has to be a positive step forward vs the cost & complexity. I would have no issue having to plug a vehicle in nightly provided it has sufficient range for my needs. The fact that folks might want to go further than the range of a particular model doesn't mean the model is bad, it just isn't right for the needs of the individual (right tool for the job).

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 11-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I was 35 miles into a 100+ mile trip when the belt broke. A 55 mile range wouldn't have done it. I passed a Nissan Leaf yesterday while riding my Stella.

Tesla is installing charging stations in some areas, but it takes a minimum of one hour to charge it.
What does your belt braking have anything to do with the electric vehicles??? So what if you pass a Leaf, I can pass a Ferrari on my bicycle when it isn't moving much faster then walking speed. Last I saw a leaf does freeway speeds just fine, something a Stella can't.

Fast or Free!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post

Didn't Ford have some trouble with the Pinto catching fire a good while back?
Good one!
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote