Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #3061
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Engine swapping penalties were also in place last year. If I recollect both Dobrowski and Cyril copped minutes or hours for swapping their engines.

Yep, still the 15 mins for the first change - and that is what this is all about, it wasn't covered in the regs last year, but now they have made it "legal" and official.

I don't really believe there is anything suspicious, or because it was Cyril, only that he found a loophole that has now been sanctioned in the regs.

I supposed they couldn't condem it though, as it would say that last years French winner was outside the regs in taking his 5th title - not that he has ever courted controversy in any of his first 4 wins

too old screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 10:55 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #3062
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
Ah the French....

Who else is reminded of this advert: So differente, so French...

Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #3063
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
So now teams will have water carriers and engine carriers (who are also well trained in engine swapping)...
Yes Ted, not just in the Bivouac on the Marathon stage, they could theoretically be done during the Rally - liaison or special.

What is the record time for an engine swop

The swopor would get a 15 min penalty if it was his first change, as would the swopee - not that it would help him too much if there was a piston stickingn through the engine casing. Plus another 15 mins for doing it without notification.

Can't ever see it happening, but there again there are lots of things out there in Dakarland that are never foreseen

too old screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:45 PM
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #3064
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
I'm curious what the going rate for an engine swap is. You know.... XXXX$ per 15min penalty?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #3065
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I'm curious what the going rate for an engine swap is. You know.... XXXX$ per 15min penalty?
Ask Dubroski
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #3066
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
To my knowledge it has been done in a special before too, nothing new, no loophole etc. simply a penalty incurred. I know of a Dutch team that had motorbike engines and parts in a race truck and in a car , both competing in the rally simply to support the bikes.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #3067
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
To my knowledge it has been done in a special before too, nothing new, no loophole etc. simply a penalty incurred. I know of a Dutch team that had motorbike engines and parts in a race truck and in a car , both competing in the rally simply to support the bikes.
Would be interesting to know the details, but if it happened during the liaison or special (without checking) then I'm pretty sure the penalty is much greater than the 15 min first change, 45 min 2nd and 2 hrs each thereafter, as this would be assistance during the rally - several hrs (3 or 6 or DQ) for a first offence and DQ for a 2nd? All if it was service/ team assisted though.

The initial observation though was that there were several regulation changes and most specifically some concerning Cyril's Enginegate from last year, but there a few.

Another one is 15 p2 start order. In recent years it has been in reverse over a shortish 1st special (selective) but this year it is straight into a 2 min gap for the first 10 in number order then 1 min for the next 10 then 30 secs each - so Cyril will be off first. No indication of the length of the first selective, but this will be announced on the 20th Nov, maybe the rally numbers also

When you read through the regs it's not surprising that teams don't carry a lawyer - but they certainly need someone who knows his way through them!

Of course, you have to be caught, but non of our illustrious riders and teams would ever tyre, woops, I mean try, anything on now would they

too old screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:47 PM
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #3068
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
That's right - there is nothing in the rules that says you cannot receive help from a fellow competitor (indeed in the old days, that is what it was all about) - it's just the service crews that are not allowed to help during the liaison or stage - that is why traditionally the car teams in particular used to have a truck entered too (as a competitor), to carry a few spares...

Of course these days, with so many professional/factory teams having 2, 3 or even 5 riders, then the 'fellow competitor' also applies to someone on the same payroll (the traditional 'water-carrier') - which is what has increasingly confused the matter as the current crop of lightweight 450cc bikes mean more and more parts (up to and including whole engines it seems) are easily exchanged and considered sacrificial should the #1 rider require it...

I imagine that is why this new rule has been introduced/clarified - basically, if you change your engine with another, whether it is from your spares truck overnight, or with another competitor, you get an engine change penalty.

Seems pretty fair to me, as the whole point of an [endurance] rally is (or at least always was) to try and finish on the machine you started with?!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #3069
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Would be interesting to know the details, but if it happened during the liaison or special (without checking) then I'm pretty sure the penalty is much greater than the 15 min first change, 45 min 2nd and 2 hrs each thereafter, as this would be assistance during the rally - several hrs (3 or 6 or DQ) for a first offence and DQ for a 2nd?
Assistance between competitors is absolutely allowed in the Dakar, either on the Special or Liaison. That's kind of part of the original spirit of the race. When I was there, lots of riders paid truck race teams to carry an engine for them. The first group of trucks are actually racing and are mostly empty, but the slower race trucks are generally full of spares for their teams and customers. Going rate in 2006 or so, in Africa, was about $10K to get a truck to carry a motorcycle engine for you, but better deals were made. If you broke, you'd have to wait for them. If you were lucky enough to flag them down, they'd stop briefly and push your engine box out of their truck before continuing. Then you'd get to work. Of course, the factory teams had mechanics in their trucks too. (Like the ones that changed Kellon's motor on course in Mauritania in 2005.)

This still counts as an engine swap, though. This is enforced by FIM inspectors checking engine numbers in the Bivouac (the ones they paint on at Scrutineering.) They don't care how the new engine got in there, just that it was swapped.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #3070
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Does anyone already posted pictures of Honda's twin cam engine ? This thread is too long to read all of it, but if not, I'll be happy to do so. Got some fuzzy shots from Morocco rally :) I've been KTM my whole life, but to see this years Honda is absolutely amazing, it feels like F1 technology in dessert.

KTM was quite silent in Morocco, normally they run around smiling, but HRC gave them some serious wrinkles..
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3071
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,481
Quote:
To my knowledge it has been done in a special before too, nothing new, no loophole etc.
I thought Barreda and Matt Fish did one on this years Dakar, might have just been engine components though...

I really can't remember now.

Edit, looks like he changed his own for a new one outside the competitive stage http://www.motoonline.com.au/2013/01...bservations-2/ .

tHEtREV screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 03:26 PM
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #3072
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Off to the Milan bike show next week - expect to see the new KTM 450 Rally and possibly also the Honda ...................

Who wants loads of pictures ?

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #3073
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
Does anyone already posted pictures of Honda's twin cam engine ? This thread is too long to read all of it, but if not, I'll be happy to do so. Got some fuzzy shots from Morocco rally :) I've been KTM my whole life, but to see this years Honda is absolutely amazing, it feels like F1 technology in dessert.

KTM was quite silent in Morocco, normally they run around smiling, but HRC gave them some serious wrinkles..

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #3074
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Off to the Milan bike show next week - expect to see the new KTM 450 Rally and possibly also the Honda ...................

Who wants loads of pictures ?

Yeah right! You have to ask? Is there an amount higher than "loads"? Maybe mega-loads...
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #3075
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post

Photos would be great!
DruncleWill is online now   Reply With Quote