Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #4276
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Did the screen on the Sertao in white rather than black to give it a differant look ??

Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #4277
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a blue Dakar logo to go on it as well which might look better !!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #4278
ibgary
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
After doing one oil change I realized the BMW Engineer that signed off of removing the oil tank to drain it should have his butt kicked out of the Engineer Society. I mean REALLY, was the engineering department smoking crack when they designed this? So I bought this:http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N=40638. A 12 volt oil change pump. It works like a champ.
R u serious? Do u really need have to pull the tank to drain the oil?
ibgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #4279
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

You only need to remove the tank top cover (Battery Cover) and the left hand tank side panel to drain the oil tank

The petrol tank itself doesnt need to be touched the only time Ive needed to drop the actual Petrol tank was to change the rear shock
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #4280
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 596
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
Boy i like the looks of that rick Mayers seat. Could you give us some info on it. Cost, I guess it was built to fit you so what was the info taken to build it. Im wondering if we knew the info especially how tall you are if the same seat could be built and would fit most of us. Also did you have to send a pan in or do they provide their own.
Here is his website:
http://www.rickmayercycle.com/
There are cost estimators, etc. Send him an E-mail with what you are looking for. He also asks that you send pics of you on the bike so he can gauge heights and lengths.
It's only 3 hours from where I live, so I may make the pilgrimage.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #4281
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
R u serious? Do u really need have to pull the tank to drain the oil?
Someone earlier suggested just buying a cheap hand pump and emptying it that way.The kind you use to pump gear oil or ATF. Sounds like the easiest answer to me.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #4282
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
Did the screen on the Sertao in white rather than black to give it a differant look ??

I do like the "BMW" on the snout. Think I'll go by some vinyl letters.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #4283
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:

Not sure why you'd paint it opaque like that. While the amount of area that is visually masked isn't large, it still reduces visibility.
Vampir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4284
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir View Post
Not sure why you'd paint it opaque like that. While the amount of area that is visually masked isn't large, it still reduces visibility.

While I try not to openly mock folks on their mod choices, I do use them as a guide at times.

I have a "try" and a "lol, no way" list.

This thread has filled up the latter list more than the former.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #4285
arit
con·scious

Oddometer: 10
Headlight shroud

Hello Sertao Owners
Greetings from a Dakar owner.

Question:
I find that the headlight shroud is very weak. The whole assembly is malengineered.
We need to remove the indicators to remove the side panels.
The front part of the shroud above headlight is connected to the part that goes around the intrument panel with two weak screws on plastic.
The whole assembly is attached to the frame only in one awkward location (below the handlebars, on the fork).
Everything is weak brittle plastic.

How are you finding that area in the Sertao? Any improvement?

Cheers
Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #4286
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwollenCranium View Post
While I try not to openly mock folks on their mod choices, I do use them as a guide at times.

I have a "try" and a "lol, no way" list.

This thread has filled up the latter list more than the former.
Have either of you ever tried to look through that windscreen? It is so distorted that unless you're trying to avoid a rapidly approaching barn it's not going to do you any good. What's the problem with painting something you can't see through anyhow? I've considered painting mine as it wouldn't change the visibility from the seat at all (I also have a Montana mounted above the dash which takes up 70% of the viewing area anyways). I'd probably paint it black, but to each their own.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #4287
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit View Post
Hello Sertao Owners
Greetings from a Dakar owner.

Question:
I find that the headlight shroud is very weak. The whole assembly is malengineered.
We need to remove the indicators to remove the side panels.
The front part of the shroud above headlight is connected to the part that goes around the intrument panel with two weak screws on plastic.
The whole assembly is attached to the frame only in one awkward location (below the handlebars, on the fork).
Everything is weak brittle plastic.

How are you finding that area in the Sertao? Any improvement?

Cheers

Some differences:

Indicators mount to the section of headlight assembly so side panels can be removed without touching them.

The headlight support, as the manual refers to it, still bolts to the steering head but with 2 pretty substantial bolts. It is still some sort of plastic, but I haven't heard anyone on this thread complaining of failures. Looks pretty substantial for most use, but I expect it could it snap off in a crash. Didn't seem like a brittle material when I was in there a few days ago.

Hope that is of some help.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #4288
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek Tail brace

Installed the TT brace and replaced the steel license plate POS mount with an aluminum plate. New plate weighs 4 oz. versus 12 oz. stock. It did shave 1/2 lb off.

Took about 10 minutes to make the plate. 20 minutes to install along with the brace. Feels very solid.

Hope this will keep it from falling off somewhere. I'll still investigate installing the 2 additional bolts through the tail light at a later date.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4289
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 354
$319 for the seat, I think I got some sort of discount for riding out there. He re-foamed most of the seat, and added about two inches into where the scoop used to be. I'm 6'4 and I hated the sh!t out of that scoop. The seat was pretty close to flattened out and recovered. Love it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #4290
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Got a blue Dakar logo to go on it as well which might look better !!
AWESOME! Is that spray paint? I've wanted to do that for a while now.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote