Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Kannonball8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Tell me about pop-up campers

I had a wild idea that a slide-in pop-up camper might work well on my Nissan Frontier (V-6, six speed manual). I have never owned any type of camper before but thought a slide in would let me trailer our dirt bikes to some of the places we'd like to ride that are too far to ride to. I thought the pop-up type might be light enough to allow me to pull a trailer with the bikes in the mountains and not kill my truck. What are good brands to look at and what are they like to live in for a week or so. I have only tent camped on bike trips so I know nothing about campers.
Thanks,
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Lot of options out there, but your biggest concern is weight. On folders check out the cable lifting mechanisms to make sure they're solid. Check out http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/ and see what's out there, then pick one you like the options/layout of.

I had a couple of StarCrafts that were basic, but lightweight. As you look around, you'll recognize that many different brands come from the same assembly line.

Check out http://www.allterraincampers.com/faqs.htm and http://forums.woodalls.com/

MiniBike screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 04:28 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
tpark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
If you spend the money to get a really nice one, it's heavy and you will wish that you went ahead and bought a travel trailer. If you try to go on the cheap, you would just wish you brought the tent.

tpark screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 12:25 PM
tpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,410
I prefer a small travel trailer. You can leave it on sight and still have your truck. Plus, with a slide in, you lose all your packing space.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
You can leave a slide-in on site. That's why they have those stilts attached. Pretty rudimentary. And a huge hassle, imo. But that's what they're there for.

It's not a small slide-in, option, but there definitely *are* slide-in options that won't eliminate your "packing space," as you say. They're friggin' huge, and usually require a pretty big tv.

My fave in particular:

uses most of the bed as a "basement," and you actually walk aroundn above your truck bed. It's a little crazy. But wow, it's amazing what the interior feels like.

Notice, though...that *ain't* a Nissan Frontier in the top pic.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 01:10 PM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
I think I'd rather put the bikes in the bed of the truck and pull a travel trailer.

Better yet, topper for the gear, and a small toy hauler ( they do exist ) for a couple of bikes.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Which Fronty 2005+ or pre. Makes a huge difference in capacity. Opps didn't read the 6 sp, so you have a 2005+. You can tow/haul anything with that truck.

The most popular ones are 4wheel campers. Even if you have the mid size truck you still only put in the small camper. The Eagle is the one that is recommended. If you get the full camper, fridge, heater.. it will run you
$10k. In this size there is no bathroom.

If you get a regular small cab over camper you are going to be maxing out a -2005. A post 2005 will be fine with it and pulling a small trailer for just bikes.

I personally do not like pop up campers. They are cold. Must be configured to sleep, and are not incognito for sleeping in random stops. Then main reason against them is that they are expensive.

I think a travel trailer would be best with the bikes in the bed.

Or a tall camper shell and pull a trailer for the bikes.

MrPulldown screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 01:31 PM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

They manage to squeeze in AC, toilet and a shower.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,188
We went a different way.

Max GVWR for the camper and Jeep are 3500. It's kinda nice to get back from trail riding and get a shower and meal. Based on the towing profile, the economy is acceptable as well.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
camper

might want to check out a trailmanor. hard sided, folding owable with your vehicel
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gopokes1 View Post
might want to check out a trailmanor. hard sided, folding owable with your vehicel
The wife and I have been serious RVers for about 15 years now. I have often thought that a "flip and fold" product (A-liner, Trail-Manor, Hi-Lo, etc) would be a sweet way to go, but.....
1) There are few exceptions to the rule that most of these units are shockingly expensive for the relatively small size, and lack of amenities.
2) They have a ton of moving, flipping, hinging, sealing, and latching hardware that is not only proprietary, but in some cases capable of stopping a sweet vacation pretty quickly, when the part is 2000 miles away, and not available for a week.
3) To be charitable, some of these things really fail the test of time. Any time you have an urge to buy something odd and low volume, it can be quite educating to find a few examples of older units for sale. Between leaks, questionable seals and other issues, it isn't hard to reach the conclusion that simpler is better.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,020
throw the bikes in the truck and pull a tow behind pop up. cheaper and easier to deal with. Or get one that has a extended trailer to load the bikes on it as well.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
The wife and I have been serious RVers for about 15 years now. I have often thought that a "flip and fold" product (A-liner, Trail-Manor, Hi-Lo, etc) would be a sweet way to go, but.....
1) There are few exceptions to the rule that most of these units are shockingly expensive for the relatively small size, and lack of amenities.
2) They have a ton of moving, flipping, hinging, sealing, and latching hardware that is not only proprietary, but in some cases capable of stopping a sweet vacation pretty quickly, when the part is 2000 miles away, and not available for a week.
3) To be charitable, some of these things really fail the test of time. Any time you have an urge to buy something odd and low volume, it can be quite educating to find a few examples of older units for sale. Between leaks, questionable seals and other issues, it isn't hard to reach the conclusion that simpler is better.
I have to agree w/ the "shockingly expensive" bit. These options tend to be thousands of dollars more expensive vs their softsided peers, and also vs their non-folding peers. And while I do consider their hardside characteristics "worth a premium". But jesus christ the premium on a new trailmanor vs it's equivalent slide-out forest river pop-up is damn near ten grand. There's definitely durability value to be gained from having less fabric to age. But ten grand's worth? Hmmm... The a-liners are a bit more within reason, but the size-constraints are hard for most people to swallow. Fortunately, my whole family probably weighs less than a pair of average american RV'ers. We look at the king-sized beds that all the manufacturers throw in their RV's and think "jeez, why do y'all *insist* on matching what you have in your bedroom? You're *camping*! You don't fit on a queen size bed?" And then we went to an RV show and saw the folks climbing into these RVs, and understood...yes...the general buying public *demands* king sized beds.

Failing tests of time is an improving parameter, and frankly I'm just as suspect with the seals and caulking on a hardside as I am with the seals 'round the trailmanor's roof. I've seen enough local old trailmanor's (just a handful) vs decrepit hardside trailers that I am certain that the most deciding factor in long term cost is whether it's maintained. I am far more likely to maintain something that's stored in my garage/carport Away from the weather than one that's under a tarp and probably 15 miles away from me in a storage facility when I'm not using it. Parts-wise, there's not much I can't source on a trailmanor that's not conventional rv standard. It's small volume production, but it's basic rv parts.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 12:02 PM
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post

Someday I fully intend to have something like this. For tax purposes, if it's not a pop-up camper on a truck it'll be a 4x4 RV van.

There are just so many great places out there that people don't go to if they can't drive their road car to it. It doesn't take extreme wheeling to get away from people, ya know?
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
throw the bikes in the truck and pull a tow behind pop up. cheaper and easier to deal with. Or get one that has a extended trailer to load the bikes on it as well.
I definitely don't consider throwing the bikes in the truck easier to deal with. It's a broken femur waiting to happen, is what it is. The lower bed height of a trailered bike is pretty appealing to me. I need *three* ramps if I attempt to put my bike in the truck bed alone (or one reeeally wide ramp), and the angle of approach is hard to manage...and damn near impossible if there's any mud involved.

So for me, either gear in the truck bed & a toy hauler w/ living space (longtallsally's idea), or it's slide-in in the bed, and gear/bike on a trailer (Kannonball8's idea). In either case, I prefer to keep living space fairly minimal, but I have to balance that with the SO's interest in being comfortable, & a couple rug rats. So it's pretty hard for me to stay small.

I *don't* have an F-450, so that pretty much nixes the slide-in idea for me. Longtallsally, your arrangement is pretty much what I'm aiming to end up with, but I'm aiming to go hardsided pop-up instead of the slidel-outs. I was walking through those fleetwoods, though, in september, and I was damn impressed with the space you get w/ those. *really* good combination. Mine'll be more cramped, fewer moving parts to deploy, no cloth. How long have you had yours?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: