User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
A Day's Ride

A full bladder is a campers alarm. The first moments can be fought. The warmth and coziness of a sleeping bag always wins the first battle, but eventually, the bladder wins the war.

The sound of the tent zipper magnified by the stillness of the crisp fall morning. Anticipation builds as the first cup of coffee is brewed. The smell of banana and cinnamon fills the morning as the oatmeal starts to simmer. The sun begins to warm the air.

The bikes are loaded, the riders are eager. Utah's fall has delivered worlds of new beauty and excitement.

Climbing high altitudes no longer brings fear of impassible trails and freezing limbs, but a number of expansive vistas and winding trails of dense Evergreens, Cottonwoods and Aspens. High alpine meadows and 9000 feet ridge roads overlooking landscapes full of vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows.

A visible moon in the sunlights shadow, a sign to pull over for the night. In the last hour of sunlight the tents are pitched, and the fire is crackling. Stew is on, and riding boots come off. Stargazing to the sound of surrounding coyotes.

Crossing the Divide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
tennesseejoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
amazing pics, im jealous
tennesseejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

The Newest Downfall

With new terrain, climate and altitudes, brings new obstacles to overcome. Mud is the new nemesis.

Alas, the sun comes out, snow melts and dirt is awakened to mud. And the mud worth mentioning, is the thick, greasy mud that tends to hide deep, set-in-it's-way ruts.

Ascending and descending already technical routes in addition to tire knobs filling with grease and machines bogging down to the frame, makes for a challenging day, or two.

While rider can stand and toss the GS as necessary, feeling the power and control the front tire has, the backseat rider can only feel what is under her ass: the back tire sliding sideways in the muck.

A nearly 500lb R1200 loaded with additional weight in camping equipment, camera gear and tools, gets ambushed easily by this morass, and two days of repetitive riding can become tiresome. One slip, and an ankle becomes twisted, trapped and hurt under said weight.

As the trail continues on, we descent into dust. Mud starts to disappear. Fiery oranges, reds and yellow leaves surround us as the tents are set up and home for the night materializes. Jumbalaya on the cookstove, tea in our cups, and tensions start to subside. Tomorrow is always a new day, and a new challenge always lays ahead.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

A Lesson In Preparation

2012 may have come and gone, but let's not drop our guards yet. 2012 was simply a prediction the world would end, not the rise of say the Living Dead, The Zombie Apocalypse as is widely known.

We cannot 100% say World War Z cannot happen. Laughter, judgement and ridicule tends to be the first reaction, and as silly as it may sound, with as much warning as we have had, we'd all feel pretty dumb should we be caught off guard.

Rule number 1- use your head, prepare, and do some research.

A big thank you to the fine folks at the North Springs Shooting Range in Price, Utah for teaching us a few things about hunting zombies. A good head knocker or sword is always a solid choice for keeping things quiet, but an M16 is a better choice when going up against an army of Zaks.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Cool RR

I want more of this;-)

Let me know when you (if it's in the master plan) come to Belgium.
I heard we have some good beers over here

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
I want more of this;-)

Let me know when you (if it's in the master plan) come to Belgium.
I heard we have some good beers over here
Thanks WimDH!! We would love to stop by for a beer, or several! We will definitely let you know when the trip comes to Europe!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Conquering the White Rim

100 miles of monumental views and arguably the best off-roading thus far. Arguably, as in, depends which Harvey you ask.

Three days spent overcoming rugged terrain, desert heat, rationing water, primitive camping, switchbacks described fittingly as "precipitous", and many steep, exposed sections challenging the mind and body of vertigo.

Defeating the rugged terrain with bikes fully packed with food and water for three people, for three days, in addition to the day to day load, demanded heavy concentration both mentally and physically.

The mental insecurities developed due to these steep, exposed sections and the anticipation of the famous Schafer Switchbacks, climbing 1500ft out of the canyon, were difficult to overcome.

Needless to say, Bruce may not have really seen all the expanding vistas, but is very aware the Colorado River wound it's way through the kingdoms of red rock formations, some 2000ft below us.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Cowboy College

The sun rises over the field, and the morning starts with a classic ranchers breakfast: eggs, bacon, pancakes and coffee.

The crisp morning air hints at the changing seasons, but the sun still warms the face. The crunch of the leaves as you tread across them, the distant sound of horses whinnying, and the unmistakable scent of a horse and leather as you strap on the saddle.

A lesson on partnership between man and beast, building trust between man and horse. A day spent learning the ropes, taking the reins and becoming a rancher.

Rockin'R Ranch in Antimony, Utah, demonstrated the old west is still alive. Sticking to its roots, the ranch is a family run business. And the folks are welcoming and full of class. Setting us at ease, as we learn a few things about living on a ranch, and strengthening our character as men in the process.

www.rockinrranch.com
Make sure to check out the site!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Bumblebee

Throughout our journey, one of the most enjoyable activities has been comparing bikes with fellow travelers. Whether it’s another GS rider, a big Harley, a KTM 690 or Yamaha 450, an Italian Superbike, a Honda Goldwing, a KTM workhorse or a Moab Trials bike, each has its strengths and idiosyncrasies. I’d like to say I chose my R 1200 GS after months of research and test drives, but I have to be honest and say I spent no time at all researching “Bumblebee” before I bought her. Asking me why I chose her is like asking me why I chose my wife and the answer would be the same – “Love at first sight”. Fortunately for me, much like my late wife, the R1200’s beauty was not just skin deep.

The first time my wife (then girlfriend) lay down beside me, we marveled at how perfectly her head rested on my shoulder. Having tried to ride numerous bikes over the last 10 years, I can say that Bumblebee is almost as perfect a fit. I could probably make a claim to the Guinness World record for least flexible hips. Put me on one of my brothers’ cruisers and I’d be lucky to get my feet on the pegs. My old friend Jim’s Laverda Motorcycle would require a month of chiropractic care after 5 minutes in the saddle, but Bumblebee has been my trusted steed for many a thousand kilometer day. The upright riding position and narrow stance allow me to get past the end of the street without reaching for the anti-inflammatories. However, a pretty face and compatible physique do not a life-partner make. Fortunately for me, Bumblebee and I share the same passions in life – long distance adventure travel.

If it’s dashing to the store to pick up groceries, darting in and out of traffic to make a business meeting downtown or taking a weekend ride to clear the mind, Bumblebee is up to the task. But her real inner strength comes when the panniers get loaded up, the camping gear gets dragged out of storage and the tank bag gets loaded up with backcountry maps. Sure there are times when I fantasize about the sleeker physique of a nimble Enduro, like riding the White Rim trail in Utah, but Bumblebee and I both know that those bikes will not stand up to the extra hundreds of pounds of weight and thousands of kilometers of gravel roads we’ll journey on together.

Bumblebee and I have had more than our fair share of spills along the way, mostly when I got her confused with my old dirt bike and went where no fully loaded old Geezer had any right to be. But other than a few cosmetic blemishes to each of us, we’re both still soldiering on. A younger man might ride her harder, but he could never love her more. Would I recommend a similar bike to someone like me who is not dead yet and has a few more miles to add to the odometer? You bet! And besides, the old girl still gets more desirous looks than any other bike on the street, and she makes me look cooler than I deserve!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 596
Subscribed........

Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Snow Fury

Temperatures drop and it slithers in during the night.

When all is quiet, a stillness creeps in. Everything stops. Freezes. The roads tense, a shield of ice forms a protective barrier. She's trapped us again.

No choice but to wait this one out.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
Crossing the Divide OP
Adventurer

Off To The Desert for a couple days!! We will post again when we get back!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Subscribed

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #29
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Are you planning on adding anymore to this thread? Was thoroughly enjoying it.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoldfish View Post
are you planning on adding anymore to this thread? Was thoroughly enjoying it.
+1