User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
KLRmageddon: 8 days across California

Ill be the first to admit Im inexperienced as far as motorcycle touring goes. While I have years of riding experience on all types of bikes, its rare that I do more than 200 miles a day. Most of my riding is commuting and weekend rips out in the local San Diego mountains and desert. I quickly learned on this trip that was really unprepared and inexperienced for this kind of trip. I should also mention my irrational hatred of KLRs, based on a 5 minute ride on a bone stock 2009 KLR in 2010. I thought it was slow, ugly, and handled like crap. I assumed they were all like that, and there was not much that could be done to improve them. How wrong I was

I met Alex (Parepin on ADVrider) over a year ago. We hit it off quickly, and have had some awesome adventures in the past. His Franken-KLR, Janis, has been to hell and back, and will quickly convince a non-believer that the KLR650 is a capable bike. After a few rides on it, I was ready to get my own.

Parepin's KLR:

And his ongoing gigantic ride report:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659820

We decided to greenlight the trip for sure about 5 days before leaving. The trip plan originally was Carlsbad, CA (North County San Diego area) up the coast, eventually meeting up with my business partners' brother just over the Washington border at a campground he knew of. We had 8 days to complete this. The brother would be coming down from Seattle, and ride as far south with us as Monterey or so, before heading back.

At this point, I didn't have a bike, having just sold my old 85 BMW K100 Purple Dragon. A frantic Craigslist search led me to a nice 2-owner 03 KLR650 about 30 min from my house. I picked it up about 10PM on a Friday night:

(unfortunately this is my only before picture).

It was very clean, with about 12k miles on it. Had a Jardine pipe, skid plate, Corbin seat, otherwise all stock. After a quick trip to meet up with Eagle Mike of Eagle Mfgr fame to grab necessary parts, it was off to my shop to begin the teardown. We went through everything you can think of in the next 48 hours: tires, heated grips, LED headlight, Doohickey (spring broken at 12k miles), oil/filter, air filter, carb & subframe bolt kits, upgraded wiring, brake pads, chain, Progressive springs up front, you name it. It was alot of work to try and do in 2 days just before leaving on a week long trip. I would not recommend this prep schedule if you can avoid it!

I wish I took some pictures of this stage, but was too busy trying to get everything done for the trip. My business partner was also going along on the trip with a similarly prepped 07 KLR (although the work was completed weeks ago on his).

Monday morning rolls around, and after catching up with work and another couple hours of prep, we hit the road about 2PM, going North up the 5 freeway. Our goal the first night was to make it to my girlfriends parents cabin in a small town called Pine Mountain, near Frazier Park in the mountains North of LA. About 150 miles, a nice warm up ride for the afternoon. Original plan put us there about 6PM. That would have been possible had all gone well...but we were in for a bumpy ride:

...to be continued soon...
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
I'm in, and looking forward to the report.
Is Alex riding with you ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 299
"KLRmageddon"... I love it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
In!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
DJ.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
In
DJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
dksd39
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I check back several times a day waiting to hear about the boot!!! lol
dksd39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 658
Cool!

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksd39 View Post
I check back several times a day waiting to hear about the boot!!! lol
I know, right? I've been on his ass about this for a while now. Can you believe that sorry sack of shit wasted all last night carving pumpkins with his family? That man's priorities are all sorts of jacked, I tell you hwhat.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Air Force Vet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
What now?

Throw us a bone man....need the info!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
acidman1968
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
...waiting impatiently for the rest of the story!

Come on now, get it going!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Sorry guys, I've been crazy busy. I feel like an idiot starting a RR and not updating it, especially after people show interest. I will try and have the next few installments up this weekend!!!
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Won't be any problem. I just did a coast to coast on a KLR I bought for the trip. Did a ride report, bike did very well both on road and off. Onroad did some >900 mile days on it.

You may have a better time if you use an airhawk on the seat, highway pegs, and risers. Made all the difference for me
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote