User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Getting a new WR250R ready for Death Valley

I've taken my Multistrada to Death Valley the last two years for the Noobs Rally and both times it's been...um...interesting. Super fun riding down (the road up to Kings Canyon National Park was just incredible), and gravel roads in Death Valley were ok. But anything else was not ok and I was envious of everyone with a dirt bike.

So this year I bought a KTM 350 EXC-F (thank you Craigslist and people who buy $11,000 dirt bikes *then* realize they need knee surgery!) which means I ended up buying my girlfriend a WR250R.

The WR is 100% stock and I'm wondering what I should do to get it ready for Death Valley. Actually, it's a combination: local dirt riding (i.e., Hollister), Death Valley, while not ruining it's on-road capabilities. (She's got a road bike, so that's not a big deal.)

I'd like to do as little as possible, partially to save money but also because I'm not a big fan of endless farkling. At some point, we'll probably do a riding/camping trip on the bikes but for now, the Death Valley trip is a truck-down-and-camp deal. For fuel, I think I'm ok just carrying a Rotopax on a tail rack on the WR250R and relying on some of the friends we'll be riding with.

So, any suggestions from WR250R owners about a good baseline set of mods for the bike?

Thanks!
Fergus
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
The general consensus is:

Handguards
Skid plate
Tail rack

Since you are running a base camp, I'd replace the tail rack with a yama-link unless she is a 6-footer.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
The general consensus is:

Handguards
Skid plate
Tail rack

Since you are running a base camp, I'd replace the tail rack with a yama-link unless she is a 6-footer.
Thanks, Superstar; that's kinda what I was thinking too.

What's the downside to the Yamalink? She's pretty tall and has a crazy long inseam but still might be more comfortable with the bike a little lower.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
If you only need a bit under an inch of lowering, the yamaha has built-in link adjustment that drops the bike rear about 0.9 inch.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
To the previously noted list (Handguards, Skid plate, and Tail rack), I would suggest you consider:

tires
gearing
mirrors
fuel tank
seat
tankbag

I am running MT-21 front, T-63 rear, and am very happy with this combo. Others like the D606 rear (many dislike the front though), and the MT-43 rear.

Other item to consider would be to gear it down with a +3 to 5 tooth rear sprocket, which means you also need a longer chain. Or a -1 front (12), which doesn't require a chain replacement. There is a frequently repeated concern that the smaller front may lead to accelerated chain-slider wear, which if unchecked, can lead to swingarm damage. This has not been an issue for me over ~4,000 miles with a 12T. I have a new chain slider (aka seal guard) on hand, and check the bike for wear regularly. When this chain set wears out, I will replace it with a 13/47.

I would also consider folding mirrors; I like Double-take mirrors with their Ram-ball mounts.

A larger fuel tank is on many people's list of must-do mods. I haven't yet, but I think an IMS 3.1 is in my future.

A Seat Concepts seat kit is a common comfort mod.

Finally, a Wolfman Enduro tank bag, for odd-and-ends, p+s camera, sunglasses, flashlight, gum, etc.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! Jon, what tail rack do you like?

I am thinking about a fuel tank but then I'd probably end up getting one for the KTM too. What's the WRs standard range like?

Turns out my girlfriend's inseam is 33" so probably no lowering needed.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,309
Handguards
Big gas tank (IMS 3gal will get you ~180 miles. The really fun loops in DV require 200 mile range)
Skid plate
Pirelli XCMH front tire
Dunlop D606 rear tire
13/47 gearing (will require a new chain)
Heated grips or outlet for heated jacket/gloves

Don't forget a big stick for her to beat you with for getting a KTM 350EXC and making her ride a WR250R

cjbiker screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 09:36 AM
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
WR250R stuff.. some remarks.

Handguards - (Yup)

Big gas tank - However, on longer routes you will need at least 4 gallons of fuel. So plan your routes I guess.

If you get a 3.1 gal -- you may also need a rotopax.
The stock tank plus a 1 gal rotopax is pretty minimal.

Skid plate - If you can, get a poly one. Aluminum will drive you crazy with reflected noise. (IMHO: in spite of any rubber mounting).

Pirelli XCMH front tire - T63 works fine, lower profile.

Dunlop D606 rear tire - IMHO: Too big in diameter. If you're lowering the
bike, probably the wrong move. T63 works fine here too.

13/47 gearing (will require a new chain) - Remark: seems like I got the 13x47 on the stock chain... dunno though. 13x48 is better.
Primary Drive components from Rocky Mtn are pretty reasonable.

Heated grips or outlet for heated jacket/gloves - Remark: Get good cold weather gear.

Seat Concepts - Low or Standard Seat. IMHO: Must have !

>"the yamaha has built-in link adjustment that drops the bike rear about 0.9 inch." Yup. The raise the forks 1/2 inch (lowers the front a bit).

Camelback.

Make sure someone else carries spare tubes, pump, tools etc. Otherwise you need a tailbag and tankbag.

Hmmm... that should do it.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammond View Post
Thanks! Jon, what tail rack do you like?

I am thinking about a fuel tank but then I'd probably end up getting one for the KTM too. What's the WRs standard range like?

Turns out my girlfriend's inseam is 33" so probably no lowering needed.
I'm not really the right one to help. I bought a GYTR used, great price, didn't like the rack much though; too small, and sharp edges, so I removed the steel cover and used the GYTR frame to mount an alum. plate. Now I like my rack a lot. The CNC cut, anodized alum. racks look sweet, so if I were buying new, that's what I'd get.

GYTR cover over new, 1/4" aluminum homemade rack

Range is ~100 miles. I carry three 1 liter camping stove fuel bottles for emergency fuel when gas supply is in question:

1 liter fuel bottle in Molle pouch

The bottles are a bit of a pain to fill, and if filled 3/4 full provide only .6 gallons, so ~30 miles worth of fuel. They saved me from being dead by the roadside once, and cost only ~$11 each with the Molle pouches (careful shopping). The pouches protect the thin alum. which dents and abrades easily, and allow the bottles to go outside the luggage..

IMS 3.1 (might go bigger if I were riding out West) is likely in my future, unless I cheap-out a go Rotopax.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
radiator guard should be on the list also! These bikes only have one and they are pretty reasonably priced.

bobfab screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 07:27 PM
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
msbianca is 6' and she loved her WR. I kinda stole it and did a bunch with and to it.

Pay attention to what everyone else has said as it is all very sage advice. I did a couple tours on hers (and remember I'm a serious goon) and it did very well. Just before we got rid of it, I think it was darn near perfect. The list that I see as critical in order:
1) Hand guards (duh, everyone has mentioned- I got Cycra)
2) Bash plate (lots of options from mild to wild- I think I did the Flatlands one)
3) GEARING! The bike DESPERATELY needs to be shortened up as the power that is there is only up top.
4) Tank- We did the IMS 3.1 as the Safari is stupid expensive and when I've ridden in DV only hit reserve a couple times.

I guess a rack, depending on what you plan on bringing. I did the Turbo City one and would probably do it again. It's pretty substantial, but I liked it as a grab handle for when I crashed.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
When you say "kinda stole it" what price did you pay? I've got a line on an '08 with under 500mi for $1800. But, I have no price perspective. Good deal?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortbus View Post
When you say "kinda stole it" what price did you pay? I've got a line on an '08 with under 500mi for $1800. But, I have no price perspective. Good deal?
That's a steal
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
HAHA! "Kinda stole it" means I "borrowed it" from my wife. She wasn't riding as much, and I wanted to start riding more hardcore dirt, so I just did stuff that I would have done for her anyway.

Now that we have the baby, she is going to wait to ride again until he starts. So we traded it for a 450exc. I suspect the 450 will go to her and I'll get something else. Either that or we'll just get her another WR.

Little man already likes blue bikes...

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
That's a steal
x2. That anything less than 3000$ is an insane deal for these bikes.