Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #9676
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
How did you clean the filter? I need to do mine.
You can take it outside and dip it in a bowl of solvent. If you're very careful, for obvious reasons, you can use gas. A spray can of brake cleaner can also be used.

Dry it off, blow it dry with an air hose, etc., re-install. Be sure to re-install it the way it came out.

You can also replace the o-rings if they're old, Pro-cycle makes a kit with all four o-rings for an oil change. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html

Be careful removing-replacing the oil filter cover, don't torque it too much. It's soft metal and will shred when you try and remove it next time if it's too tight.

Good idea to also remove, clean, and re-oil your air filter. Same for chain. Don't forget to shoot some grease into the several swing arm fittings.

And when was the last time you changed your fork oil or brake fluid?

Speedo66 screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 08:47 AM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #9677
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 547
Question A Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Oil filter.
This has been brought up here before but it appear the pix are gone. So ...
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...=115711&page=1
At some point the wrong filters were put into the boxes for the XT225 filters.

Yes, the filter on the left, the right filter, is what the dealership handed me. This filter however does not work. I know it is supposed to be correct but for this particular bike it doesn't work for the reasons listed in my OP. I will pull it apart sometime next spring and take pics of the filter and the filter compartment cover and send those along. Very different beast from the two pictured though it clearly works. The bike other than being a little cold blooded works like a charm.

Thanks for chiming in...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #9678
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Thumb Correctamundo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
How did you clean the filter? I need to do mine.
Everything Speedo66 said. I used gas wearing rubber gloves of course as somebody special was watching, then blew it out.

Speedo66...said....

You can take it outside and dip it in a bowl of solvent. If you're very careful, for obvious reasons, you can use gas. A spray can of brake cleaner can also be used.

Dry it off, blow it dry with an air hose, etc., re-install. Be sure to re-install it the way it came out.

You can also replace the o-rings if they're old, Pro-cycle makes a kit with all four o-rings for an oil change. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html

Be careful removing-replacing the oil filter cover, don't torque it too much. It's soft metal and will shred when you try and remove it next time if it's too tight.

Good idea to also remove, clean, and re-oil your air filter. Same for chain. Don't forget to shoot some grease into the several swing arm fittings.

And when was the last time you changed your fork oil or brake fluid?

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #9679
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteverinoB View Post
... I know it is supposed to be correct but for this particular bike it doesn't work for the reasons listed in my OP. ...
I donít really see any actual reasons why it doesnít fit listed in your OP.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9672
Maybe where you said ďThe existing filter differs front and back.Ē Do you mean by this that the existing filter ends are different than the replacement?
I canít recall if it was on the XT or on another bike that I had to use a bit of pressure to seat the oil filter.
Got pix of the filter? Thought I had a spare stock screen type filter here, canít find it for a pic.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #9680
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Quote:
I donít really see any actual reasons why it doesnít fit listed in your OP.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9672
Maybe where you said ďThe existing filter differs front and back.Ē Do you mean by this that the existing filter ends are different than the replacement?
I canít recall if it was on the XT or on another bike that I had to use a bit of pressure to seat the oil filter.
Got pix of the filter? Thought I had a spare stock screen type filter here, canít find it for a pic.
From OP...

"Each end has two holes that fit nicely into a two pronged rubber receiver which sit at both the back end of the filter compartment and under the filter compartment cover, thus locating the filter correctly in the compartment."

I'll take a few pics next spring. Suffice to say, the front and back of the filter that was/is in the bike now has two holes in each end. Theses holes fit onto rubber prongs that are anchored to the rear and the cap of the filter compartment. Very different setup from what is considered stock. I will take pictures in the spring, after all, it is only a litre of oil!

Thanks...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #9681
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
... the front and back of the filter that was/is in the bike now has two holes in each end. Theses holes fit onto rubber prongs that are anchored to the rear and the cap of the filter compartment. Very different setup from what is considered stock.
This is what I donít get. Near as I can tell the holes that fit onto prongs are only on the inside end of the filter & just a round hole in the center of filter on the outside. Thatís how I recall mine was.

The filter on the left that you say is the same as the one you got from the dealer also has the holes that fit onto prongs on the inside.

I guess we will have to wait & see what the inside of of your filter cover looks like.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #9682
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
I heard the problem with the other filters is they do not have holes to feed the oil to the top end, not how they fit in the housing...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #9683
Tom S
Can I ride it?

^ Correct. The other problem is that they did fit.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #9684
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Quote:
This is what I donít get. Near as I can tell the holes that fit onto prongs are only on the inside end of the filter & just a round hole in the center of filter on the outside. Thatís how I recall mine was.

The filter on the left that you say is the same as the one you got from the dealer also has the holes that fit onto prongs on the inside.

I guess we will have to wait & see what the inside of of your filter cover looks like.
Yes! It might be best to wait for the pics?

The inside surface of the filter cover, aside from the larger protruding flat bit,and both ends of the filter currently in the bike DO NOT look like either of the attached pics or the bit of the fiche pic attached.

My sense is that I could pull the rubber prong bits off the inside surface of the filter cover and the back end of the filter compartment and proceed with the filter pictured on the left of the attached filter pic?

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #9685
Tom S
Can I ride it?

I don't get this thing about rubber prongs either. AFAIK there are no rubber prongs on the inside of the filter cover or in the back filter compartment.
I'm starting to think that you have pieces of rubber that detached from the original filter & stuck in there. Therefore the original filter, (screen mesh?) that you took out still fits.
Zat make sense?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #9686
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Yes! It might be best to wait for the pics?

The inside surface of the filter cover, aside from the larger protruding flat bit,and both ends of the filter currently in the bike DO NOT look like either of the attached pics or the bit of the fiche pic attached.

My sense is that I could pull the rubber prong bits off the inside surface of the filter cover and the back end of the filter compartment and proceed with the filter pictured on the left of the attached filter pic?
OK, I'm willing to put in $1 towards an oil change...solve this frickin' mystery!!!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #9687
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
OK, I'm willing to put in $1 towards an oil change...solve this frickin' mystery!!!

Ok, change your oil. Take some good pix & post 'em up.
Yeah, I know. A little more than a buck$ worth just for the oil.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #9688
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Patience

Quote:
Ok, change your oil. Take some good pix & post 'em up.
Yeah, I know. A little more than a buck$ worth just for the oil.
Patience Grasshoppers...All in good time.

You know, if I laid the bike on it's side, I'd hardly lose a drop. I might just tear into it tomorrow?

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #9689
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Patience Grasshoppers...All in good time.

You know, if I laid the bike on it's side, I'd hardly lose a drop. I might just tear into it tomorrow?
...or you could drain and reuse the oil.
New filters are a mm or so taller than the space allotted them in the filter housing. tightening the filter housing covering plate to the correct torque crushes the filter a bit and creates a good seal. There is the possibility that if the rubber on either end of the filter wasn't lubed it stuck to the inside of the filter housing, and with the latest filter removal, the rubber ends of the filter stayed inside the housing, sorta like what TomS said.
I don't recall any rubber either, apart from the o-ring
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #9690
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
A Super Trick XT 225 for Sale in Buffalo N.Y.

Hi, All XT 225 Fans!! Check out the XT 225 for sale. Its on CL Buffalo. Its under Oct 30 section.
Good Luck!!!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!!!

BIG ED XT FAN screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 09:51 AM
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote