Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #18436
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
im looking to add some LED lights to my XR. The baja design halogen that is on it now is fine. But I need to add some seriouse lighting for next year. The 100W baja halogen doesn't put out enough light for bush riding up north and a moose or deer coming out of the bush in front of me is a legitamite issue.
I'm leaning towards the Baja Design Squadron Light that puts out 4300 lumens.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=497001BK

Or the ADVMosnter fairing with dual LED.
One being flood beam/ 3600 lumens, one spot beam 2700 lumens . For a total of lumen 6300.
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...ing/Detail.bok
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...off/Detail.bok
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...oad/Detail.bok

The Baja Design is a nice clean set up but the ADV MOnster offers some wind protection.
Both items cost about the same. What would people suggest.
AA

Baja Designs. Made in the US, Lifetime warranty. If you don't intend to keep the bike, then maybe go cheaper.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #18437
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Yo guys,

My neighbor bought a low hour '01 off of CL 3 nights ago, rode it around the block and 1 mile in the clutch bushing seized. I found him at the stop sign and offered to help him out. I popped the side cover and clutch out, but the outer basket and bushing will not come off the shaft.

At this point I decided to just take it down to north valley honda to have them use a puller/press to get it off. But alas, they have been trying to 2 days with zero luck. I really feel bad for this guy, he just dropped $2300 for a bike that might need to be completely torn down.

Advice? Ideas? Who has gotten a seized bushing off sucessfully without f-ing the shaft?
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #18438
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 97
If it was mine I would try some heat. Then a die grinder and chisel. Scary stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #18439
brayjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24 View Post
Yo guys,

My neighbor bought a low hour '01 off of CL 3 nights ago, rode it around the block and 1 mile in the clutch bushing seized. I found him at the stop sign and offered to help him out. I popped the side cover and clutch out, but the outer basket and bushing will not come off the shaft.

At this point I decided to just take it down to north valley honda to have them use a puller/press to get it off. But alas, they have been trying to 2 days with zero luck. I really feel bad for this guy, he just dropped $2300 for a bike that might need to be completely torn down.

Advice? Ideas? Who has gotten a seized bushing off sucessfully without f-ing the shaft?
I feel for him, I just paid $4000 for a immaculate LOOKING 2002 that needs an entire rebuild top to bottom. Only thing I can think of is someone swapped the original motor to use on something else and replaced it with this junker. Bought it site unseen so it's my own fault. Live and learn.
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #18440
MCVL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I bought mine for 5000, it was the cheapest price for them around here, needed a complete top and bottom end rebuild almost as soon as I got it, after it was done and I happily rode for about 700 miles I noticed a sound at the head and after another 700miles of constantly adjusting valves I finally opened it, the rockers and camshaft were worn out the same as how it was at the first rebuild, mechanic that did all that work installed a bearing on the camshaft the wrong side becouse it was like that when he first disassambled the engine
Smth like that http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/cm...XR650R-cam.jpg
it seems it was enough to wear them out, another mechanic suggested to repair the old ones at the workshop, it was 5 times cheaper than new rockers and camshaft, but they did it incorrectly, so there always have been a noise, when I finally got a new camshaft, the noise didn't go away, becouse of the stress, the valve guides wore out too, so now after a year I have to replace them with valves that are now twisted
So, I think that 2300$ is a very good price, don't let it go down on him

MCVL screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 11:43 AM
MCVL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #18441
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 739
Bolt type for steel SunTour? Thx!

I have a SunTour 45 tooth rear sprocket planning to use.....but
it does no take the tapered bolts used on alloy sprockets.

I am sure the non-tapered bolts are common, but I could not find them online and dont know what OEM part to ask for.

XR650L or DR650 sprocket bolts and nuts?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #18442
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Time for a daily life pic of my pig ...

Free riding through the woods trying to find a singeltrack or gravel road ... Got stuck in a ditch totaly exhausted with a soon boiling piggy & my buddys just want to fiddle around with the cameras instead of helping me out

ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #18443
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 739
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVSearcher View Post
Time for a daily life pic of my pig ...

Free riding through the woods trying to find a singeltrack or gravel road ... Got stuck in a ditch totaly exhausted with a soon boiling piggy & my buddys just want to fiddle around with the cameras instead of helping me out

Nice picture, far superior to my very lame picture of a hole in a sprocket.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #18444
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Sprocket Bolts

[QUOTE=DocAxeYarYar;22692218]I have a SunTour 45 tooth rear sprocket planning to use.....but
it does no take the tapered bolts used on alloy sprockets.

I am sure the non-tapered bolts are common, but I could not find them online and dont know what OEM part to ask for.

XR650L or DR650 sprocket bolts and nuts?

Thanks!

[/QUOTE

Check OEM Honda bolts for a 1988 XR600R
JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #18445
flonoen
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi fellas, new user here.

Got my first thumper a month or so back, '04 XR650R. Good condition, easy to start and hilariously fun to ride (my only experience with bikes so far have been R4's, and short testrides on a 690 duke). Not been much offroad yet, mostly because my rear tire looks more like a racingslick than an offroad-tire.

Changed the sprockets and chain couple of days ago, from rather long geared 15-40 when I got it, to a bit more fun 14-46.

Anyways, was thinking of getting this rear tire:
Michelin T 63
Available in 120/80-18, I now have 120/90-18, I assume this will cause no problems? Use will mostly be street, with occational trips offroad, gravel etc. Think I'll pick up 17" sm-wheels next year, for street-use.

Have to find some trials to ride like in the picture posted above by ADVSearcher, but gotta get some gear first, I only have onroad-gear. Nature in Norway is a lot like in Sweden, except a bit better of course
flonoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #18446
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by flonoen View Post
Anyways, was thinking of getting this rear tire:
Michelin T 63
Available in 120/80-18, I now have 120/90-18, I assume this will cause no problems? Use will mostly be street, with occational trips offroad, gravel etc. Think I'll pick up 17" sm-wheels next year, for street-use.
I like the look of the tread on those tires. If you can get them, Dunlop 606 tires are great for that bike.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #18447
Angelsndevils
Pig handler

Oddometer: 21
Guess I'll join in on the fun. Have a 2000 piggy, Plated, that I love so much that it made me sell my RC51 cause I didn't ride it anymore. Should be getting more goodies for it this week. Ordered a dual output stator, exhaust, and trail tech vapor for it. Also If anybodys interested, I have an edelbrock carb for sale in the parts thread.

There is a little squid in all of us!
Angelsndevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #18448
ride4fun562
Banned

Oddometer: 149
I know pigs are noisy to begin with and i have an aluminum skid plate but does anyone hear anything to be concerned about? I rebuilt the top end with stock compression about 600 miles ago and it's been running fine. But im hearing this knocking sound from the bottom end that seems to have gotten worse over time. The audio quality of my phone makes it sound even worse but Hopefully someone can tell me if its normal or not. Or is my piggy
In good health and stfu ride it till it breaks

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 10:09 AM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #18449
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I know pigs are noisy to begin with and i have an aluminum skid plate but does anyone hear anything to be concerned about? I rebuilt the top end with stock compression about 600 miles ago and it's been running fine. But im hearing this knocking sound from the bottom end that seems to have gotten worse over time. The audio quality of my phone makes it sound even worse but Hopefully someone can tell me if its normal or not. Or is my piggy
In good health and stfu ride it till it breaks

Tough to say. The sound didn't help on my work computer.

I know my bike with ~50,000KM is sometimes quieter than my buddies with ~20,000km's.

That being said it always seems to be super quiet after a valve adjustment and fresh oil... It might all be in my head.. =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #18450
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24 View Post
Yo guys,

Talked to my neighbor today, honda got the bushing off and the bike should be back in action by the weekend
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote