User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
SierraCB OP
wadahp

Oddometer: 73
End of the line with my DRZ400

So i'm basically on my last leg at this point, I have put so much time and money in this things already that I can't keep up with other things. Friends have DRZ's that have 0 problems, this has them all it seems like.

I'll start with specs.

2000 DRZ400 Kicker:

Powerbomb header with Ti 4 Muffler
3x3 Mod
Newly Installed MCCT
FCR Slant Style Carb (non MX)

Jetting:

Main 148
Pilot 45 (Brand New)
Slow 65
Stock Needle Position
Fuel screw 2 turns out, (is it supposed to be completely bottomed when turned out? Seems like a lot of pressure)
Stock Air Jets
Removed Coast Enricher and plugged the block hole, connected the two carb holes with hose
Removed Hot Start and plugged everything accordingly

Firstly this bike would NOT idle without the choke, cleaned and bought a new pilot jet, still wouldn't. Took it to a shop, they cleaned it more thoroughly I asssume. Got it back and seemed to run OK. Would hesitate over 1/4 if ripping on it. Took it to the dirt and the idle issue came back. Would idle for around 15 seconds then stumble and die.

Took the carb off to check everything, put a 148 main in to maybe solve bogging. No luck. Now the IDLE seems to hang while off the throttle insanely high without the choke on, and the choke will raise it even more.

I really have no clue what to do. Currently when you start it the idle shoots way up and stays there... Just want this thing to run correctly... Sorry for the long post
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I've got a slant FCR (s model bike) and it did something similar with the high idle. The trick is to adjust the fuel screw and idle screw together. Once you get it right it'll idle fine. As I don't have an e or pipe I can't comment on your jetting. Make sure you don't have so much tension in your throttle cables. Finally, for the bog issue, research the 'Eddie' mod. It involves wiring the accel pump lever so you get an instant squirt.

Hope this helps get you sorted. The fcr is definitely more finicky than the CV carb.
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Sierra, you got this man, try the above advice and rock it out.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
make certain it is get sufficient fuel from the tank as well. in my experience, one reason an engine that will only idle well on choke or stumbles during excelleration is that it is not get good fuel, be it from a lean situation setting of the carb or fuel delivery. do the earlier mentioned as well
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
SierraCB OP
wadahp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32x20 View Post
I've got a slant FCR (s model bike) and it did something similar with the high idle. The trick is to adjust the fuel screw and idle screw together. Once you get it right it'll idle fine. As I don't have an e or pipe I can't comment on your jetting. Make sure you don't have so much tension in your throttle cables. Finally, for the bog issue, research the 'Eddie' mod. It involves wiring the accel pump lever so you get an instant squirt.

Hope this helps get you sorted. The fcr is definitely more finicky than the CV carb.
I think the mixture screw has something to so with it for sure. I need to get one I can adjust with my finger... I did change that last time I had it apart so it could be the issue. Also my idle knob is super hard to turn so it makes it a pita
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
SierraCB OP
wadahp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
make certain it is get sufficient fuel from the tank as well. in my experience, one reason an engine that will only idle well on choke or stumbles during excelleration is that it is not get good fuel, be it from a lean situation setting of the carb or fuel delivery. do the earlier mentioned as well
Fuel is definitely good. New petcock and line, nice steady stream.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
You have a 13 year old carb that wasnt the best design to begin with. The slide and body wears over time, which causes the symptoms you mentioned. It also has a anti popping or deceleration diaphragm that goes bad. The FCR also has a non replaceable seal/gasket in the body so it is not advisable to soak these carbs in a tank. Once the slide and body are worn out, you can chase a tune forever, it will never work properly. An upgrade to the FCR-MX carb will be a good idea here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:10 PM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
SierraCB OP
wadahp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
You have a 13 year old carb that wasnt the best design to begin with. The slide and body wears over time, which causes the symptoms you mentioned. It also has a anti popping or deceleration diaphragm that goes bad. The FCR also has a non replaceable seal/gasket in the body so it is not advisable to soak these carbs in a tank. Once the slide and body are worn out, you can chase a tune forever, it will never work properly. An upgrade to the FCR-MX carb will be a good idea here.
There are people with much older and abused stuff, I think this is unlikely.

Here's a video. At first it idles okay then a second or two in it kicks up all of a sudden. I've played with the idle and fuel screw, neither do anything to help.

http://youtu.be/ts84ZjwiAGI
Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
Check the engine to carb boot for damage/leaks.

Check the airbox to carb bell boot. This will cause you fits if its leaking.

Up the pilot jet to a 50 or 52 If I were you I would go ahead and try this. This will mask a worn slide and carb body

I think I am running a 50 or 52 and a 158 main, but mine is a 434cc/Cams/MRD at sea level with a FCR MX carb. I think my Pilot is still a tad lean.

Thats all I have for you buddy.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 09:26 AM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
SierraCB OP
wadahp

Installed the FCRMX to replace my stock FCR as it was worked. Had high hopes that this was the end of working on the bike and I could finally ride it.

After install I primed the carb, kicked it, and it started right up with the choke. Rode it around a bit and seemed like it was working great. Idled fine, ran great etc.

Let it sit for a few minutes as I was going to adjust the MCCT and went to kicker it over again and it was a no go. Kicked it a ridiculous amount of times and nothing. Also started to leak when I kicked it out of the float bowl vent tube...
Both choke on and off. Tried to bump start it and it worked. Seemed to run fine again. Turned it off, went to kick it, nothing. Bumped it again and let it idle for about 5 mins. Temps were around 190 so I figured that it was definitely at operating temperature.

Turned it off and yep, won't start with the kicker.

What's going on? I've dumped a crazy amount of money just to get this bike going and I have no luck at all with it. Seems like there is no end in sight whatsoever.

Also, seems like the counter shaft sprocket is leaking also... sweet
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCB View Post
Installed the FCRMX to replace my stock FCR as it was worked. Had high hopes that this was the end of working on the bike and I could finally ride it.

After install I primed the carb, kicked it, and it started right up with the choke. Rode it around a bit and seemed like it was working great. Idled fine, ran great etc.

Let it sit for a few minutes as I was going to adjust the MCCT and went to kicker it over again and it was a no go. Kicked it a ridiculous amount of times and nothing. Also started to leak when I kicked it out of the float bowl vent tube...
Both choke on and off. Tried to bump start it and it worked. Seemed to run fine again. Turned it off, went to kick it, nothing. Bumped it again and let it idle for about 5 mins. Temps were around 190 so I figured that it was definitely at operating temperature.

Turned it off and yep, won't start with the kicker.

What's going on? I've dumped a crazy amount of money just to get this bike going and I have no luck at all with it. Seems like there is no end in sight whatsoever.

Also, seems like the counter shaft sprocket is leaking also... sweet
Sounds like you have tight valves to me ... Check them first before you do any more carb ajustments
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote