Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #83266
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I am trying to correlate the water in carb and wet engine advice given by others with information given... bullshit diagnosis IMO.
Agreed.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #83267
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I still say its not necessary,Ive ridden in the woods for many years and helped with more then a few flooded airboxes/carbs/engines/exhaust pipes,all filled at once and if one of these isnt dried out properly the thing will take for ever to start. Nobody ever thought starting fluid was the thing and the bike started with out it each time.

Air filter gets removed and wrung out.
Float bowl drained.
Bike upside down plug out, pump the water out with kickstarter.
Bike gets rolled on end and sideways to get water out of exhaust pipe.

Trying to start it with water in any of these can take for ever or not start at all.

A 4 stroke that got enough water in it's crankcases will turn it's oil to chocolate milk and destroy it's bearings and various other things,2 stroke doesnt have this problem as easily as it gets fresh gas/oil everytime it starts.

A sympathetic mechanic wouldnt spray starting fluid in a good engine.
Most of the times I've done this was on four stroke machines no draining the carbs. Just the process I described. Done in at least 5 times to my 89 Honda fourtracks ex. I don't own the quad anymore, but it is still running witty out a rebuild. Who knows how many hours/miles. I'm not saying a mechanic would recommend it and that it might not "void your warranty" I'm just saying that that is the protocol that every one I know that rides sand bars down here does it and I've never seen it cause any problems. Might it shorten your engine life by 10%? Maybe. Does it get you out if the woods that night and save you miles worth of walking and recovering a stranded machine? Everytime. And yes you always change all fluids before you ride again. I usually do that even after water crossings that didn't go wrong, and we would just stand our quads up on the back rack for a couple minutes to drain the exhaust, a luxury that you dont have with a bike. My Yamaha warrior held up through this abuse Many times as well.

Rocktown screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 10:27 AM
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #83268
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
There's a drain screw in the bottom float bowl. It's roughly horizontal, with the head facing to the left. Do not use a Phillips screwdriver to open it. People often over-tighten them, so, even though a JIS screwdriver will be better, in my opinion a properly fitting flat screwdriver has the best chance of working without stripping the head.

Regards,

Derek
Thanks for that. I assumed it was a Philips. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a JIS screwdriver? I'm going to try to google it now as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #83269
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
Thanks for that. I assumed it was a Philips. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a JIS screwdriver? I'm going to try to google it now as well.
It's a Japanese standard that's similar to Phillips but has a slightly different shape, along with a blunter point.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #83270
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173
^^^^ 205'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Just for your information, I drove it 200 miles in the rain and then the last 100 miles I drove it hard at like 95mph continuously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I am trying to correlate the water in carb and wet engine advice given by others with information given............................................. ......
Cranking difficulty might be a clue. Start with the basics.
TLM drove rode 100 miles after the rain.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
It seems to me that the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is somewhat shorter and maybe wider. Using a Phillips screwdriver (pointier) won't seat firmly and since the screws are so tight, the head will strip instead of loosening the screw. In a pinch, someone ground the tip off of the Phillips bit letting it seat better.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 10:56 AM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #83271
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
It's a Japanese standard that's similar to Phillips but has a slightly different shape, along with a blunter point.

Regards,

Derek
I've never owned one before but im about to look for one on amazon now. Thank you. Nothing worse then stripped screws.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #83272
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
^^^^ 205'd

TLM drove 100 miles after the rain.................

It seems to me that the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is somewhat shorter and maybe wider. Using a Phillips screwdriver (pointier) won't seat firmly and since the screws are so tight, the head will strip instead of loosening the screw. In a pinch, someone ground the tip off of the Phillips bit letting it seat better.
Huh. I missed that he drove after the rain. You're right not a water issue. I missed the whole original post.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #83273
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #83274
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
wet

Only start on the carb and plugs after you have done the other jobs I mentioned. It's a progressive inspection. It's quite universal and basic.

You perhaps don't know much, if anything about engines. If this all works out never again ride for 100 miles at 95 miles per hour on this machine. That is killing it. They are not manufactured for this type of use. So you ran the engine to the fullest extent of it's capabilities for one hour? That's pretty darn drastic. Machines in general have their limits, it's prudent to stay below their limits in order to preserve some modicum of reliability. It's like leaving a food mixer running when you leave the house, when you come home it's probably burned out.
I suspect low or no oil and you've toasted the engine. Did you change/check or add oil? When did you last adjust the valves?
You'll want to read the operators manual for any device you intend to use, it's paramount that you follow the manufacturers instructions to get full and reliable use out of such device. You can't just jump on this motorcycle, twist the throttle and go as fast as it will go until it breaks.

Edited post. This is not the original post in it's entirety.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:17 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #83275
mehigh
bum

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
That's cool. How many Km's do you have on bike now. They seem like a mighty machine.
my 2008 has just 66k-ish km, my 98 is just 10k-ish km away from going back to zero.
mehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #83276
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Mr. Tucker - I can appreciate the meaning behind your post but this isn't Jo Mamma. Most posts here are a little more diplomatic but still informative.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #83277
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Only start on the carb and plugs after you have done the other jobs I mentioned. It's a progressive inspection. It's quite universal and basic.

You obviously don't know much, if anything about engines. If this all works out never again ride for 100 miles at 95 miles per hour on this machine. That is killing it. They are not manufactured for this type of use. So you basically ran the engine balls out to the fullest extent of it's capabilities for one hour? That's pretty darn drastic. Machines in general have their limits, it's prudent to stay below their limits in order to preserve some modicum of reliability. It's like leaving a food mixer running when you leave the house, when you come home it's probably burned out.
I suspect low or no oil and you've toasted the engine. When did you last change/check or add oil?.....never right? When did you last adjust the valves, drive chain, tire pressures?...never right?
You'll want to read the operators manual for any device you intend to use, it's paramount that you follow the manufacturers instructions to get full and reliable use out of such device. You can't just jump on this motorcycle, twist the throttle and go as fast as it will go until it breaks.
I have oil, changed it at 4000 miles (at 5000 now).

Have not checked the valves but adjusted the drive chain and filled tire pressure two weeks ago. Thanks for the help
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #83278
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Mr. Tucker - I can appreciate the meaning behind your post but this isn't Jo Mamma. Most posts here are a little more diplomatic but still informative.

This is why I'm a big fan of you and the following posters, to name a few:
ER70s-2, embeddee, Thump!

Like I said, to name a few. Hostility deters learning, I think.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #83279
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
whatever......there was no lack of diplomacy, I was to the point and kind as could be. I'm not about to get in an internet discussion about PC and diplomacy and how I talk to people. Unsubscribed, you guys will help him and figure it out.

I'll edit my post.

Post in question is edited.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:21 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #83280
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
This is why I'm a big fan of you and the following posters, to name a few:
ER70s-2, embeddee, Thump!

Like I said, to name a few. Hostility deters learning, I think.
How could you not include Kommando? And ProCycle, and...
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote