User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #83266
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,453
wet

Only start on the carb and plugs after you have done the other jobs I mentioned. It's a progressive inspection. It's quite universal and basic.

You perhaps don't know much, if anything about engines. If this all works out never again ride for 100 miles at 95 miles per hour on this machine. That is killing it. They are not manufactured for this type of use. So you ran the engine to the fullest extent of it's capabilities for one hour? That's pretty darn drastic. Machines in general have their limits, it's prudent to stay below their limits in order to preserve some modicum of reliability. It's like leaving a food mixer running when you leave the house, when you come home it's probably burned out.
I suspect low or no oil and you've toasted the engine. Did you change/check or add oil? When did you last adjust the valves?
You'll want to read the operators manual for any device you intend to use, it's paramount that you follow the manufacturers instructions to get full and reliable use out of such device. You can't just jump on this motorcycle, twist the throttle and go as fast as it will go until it breaks.

Edited post. This is not the original post in it's entirety.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:17 PM
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #83267
mehigh
bum

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
That's cool. How many Km's do you have on bike now. They seem like a mighty machine.
my 2008 has just 66k-ish km, my 98 is just 10k-ish km away from going back to zero.
mehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #83268
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Mr. Tucker - I can appreciate the meaning behind your post but this isn't Jo Mamma. Most posts here are a little more diplomatic but still informative.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #83269
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Only start on the carb and plugs after you have done the other jobs I mentioned. It's a progressive inspection. It's quite universal and basic.

You obviously don't know much, if anything about engines. If this all works out never again ride for 100 miles at 95 miles per hour on this machine. That is killing it. They are not manufactured for this type of use. So you basically ran the engine balls out to the fullest extent of it's capabilities for one hour? That's pretty darn drastic. Machines in general have their limits, it's prudent to stay below their limits in order to preserve some modicum of reliability. It's like leaving a food mixer running when you leave the house, when you come home it's probably burned out.
I suspect low or no oil and you've toasted the engine. When did you last change/check or add oil?.....never right? When did you last adjust the valves, drive chain, tire pressures?...never right?
You'll want to read the operators manual for any device you intend to use, it's paramount that you follow the manufacturers instructions to get full and reliable use out of such device. You can't just jump on this motorcycle, twist the throttle and go as fast as it will go until it breaks.
I have oil, changed it at 4000 miles (at 5000 now).

Have not checked the valves but adjusted the drive chain and filled tire pressure two weeks ago. Thanks for the help
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #83270
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Mr. Tucker - I can appreciate the meaning behind your post but this isn't Jo Mamma. Most posts here are a little more diplomatic but still informative.

This is why I'm a big fan of you and the following posters, to name a few:
ER70s-2, embeddee, Thump!

Like I said, to name a few. Hostility deters learning, I think.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #83271
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,453
whatever......there was no lack of diplomacy, I was to the point and kind as could be. I'm not about to get in an internet discussion about PC and diplomacy and how I talk to people. Unsubscribed, you guys will help him and figure it out.

I'll edit my post.

Post in question is edited.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:21 PM
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #83272
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post

How could you not include Kommando? And ProCycle, and...
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #83273
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Thread dead.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #83274
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
Dumb question, perhaps!! Do you ever see Gators when your out riding?? I would be worried about falling off into one of those waterway's and having one of those things eat me before help came. In Australia all we have to worry about is Kangaroos, they can come at you like an Exocet missile. But they don't eat you!!!!!
PS THe Dingo's only cause trouble for little riders....... and if your already dead................and then it don't matter anyhow!!!

Cheers Richo
Once you get as far south as Dave is, there are also crocs to consider. The gators tend to try to get away from grown men or running motors, as most are not very big or assertive. The big gators grab people from time to time, but even they seem to prefer smaller critters like dogs.

Gators are all over the place during the warmer 9 months of the year around here, but crocs don't typically come this far north. I don't know if the American crocs in FL are as assertive as the salties in N Australia, but they can get pretty big too, usually in places where they're well-fed, like below the bridges in Costa Rica. Gators tend to be smaller and more scavenger-natured, but we've had several 12-footer+ gators caught in the southern states in just the past year.

I worry more about falling on a cottonmouth when riding in wet areas. They can be nasty. We also have feral pigs, deer, black bears, rattlesnakes, coral snakes, and cougars in FL. Fire ants and mosquitos are usually more of a nuisance when out riding, but I do see pigs and gators quite frequently around here.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #83275
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words but I too missed the last part of your original post. I inferred the bike quit immediately after riding in the rain. Hence my comments were related to getting a possible wet engine going.

After re-reading your original post I would offer this. If the starter won't spin over the engine, you probably need a battery (and maybe repairs to your charging system). However, a weak battery won't prevent it from running. In fact, the DR will run quite happily without any battery at all because the igniter has is on power source on the stator.

If it will start but not continue running, you probably have a fuel delivery problem of some type. Since it was working fine and then quit when you stopped, I'd look for a clogged or failed petcock and after that blocked carb passages or jets. If you don't have an inline fuel filter you need one.

FWIW, I do agree with one thing Tuckers said. The DR650 was not designed with sustained high speed travel in mind. They are better suited to 60 mph secondary roads than to interstate highways.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #83276
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Bump, ferchirssakes!

I found this thread lying in the middle of the 2nd page of Thumpers.

You guys really need to take better care of this thread.
Sorry. I was replacing gaskets on a friend's Civic, and planning some prep work to stage a DR in CO after Thanksgiving. I know it's no excuse, and I'll try harder to keep this thread where it belongs.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #83277
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanrunnaked View Post
Hi, all. I am hoping to get some opinions.

I am looking to get into some dirt riding. Not interested in motocross or hare scrambles; my short-term goal is to get an enduro and get my feet wet (er... dirty... um... muddy?). I have not been on a dirt bike since my teenage years, but I want to explore some dirt roads, particularly when touring by motorcycle. Long-term, my goal is to feel comfortable traveling on a big adventure bike (I am thinking BMW GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, or KTM Adventure), both on-road and off. I don't want to start riding off-road on something that big, though.

I am thinking an enduro rather than a dedicated dirt bike, because: (a) I don't have a trailer; (b) most of the good dirt riding is a few hours away from where I live, (c) I want to get experience riding a dirt-style bike on-road; and (d) my understanding is that riding in the state and federal parks here requires permits that are only available for plated vehicles.

Once you start riding dirt, you may find that there is a lot more dirt close to home than you realized. The DR seems like a great all-around bike for dualsporting the FL peninsula. I wouldn't want to ride something much taller or heavier offroad around here in the sand, but I wouldn't want a bike with less slab-cruising ability unless I used a truck or trailer.

So, I am looking at a particular 2002 Suzuki DR650SE that a friend of a friend is selling. The bike has around 10,000 miles, and I am told by my friend that it is in good but not perfect condition. (The seller says it is ready to ride cross-country today. I am set to look at it this Sunday.) It has some leather saddlebags on it and comes with a second set of knobbies (road-legal knobbies on it still have tread) and heavy-duty tubes. The seller geared it down one tooth in the front, but he still has the stock front sprocket.

Given my short and long-term goals, is this bike a good choice or bad choice? If there are better choices, how much better are they?

As for the price, the seller wants $2,200 for it. Is that a good price or a bad price?

I am having trouble valuing the bike. NADA says "average retail value" is $1,400; KBB says "suggested retail value in excellent condition" is $2,485. That's quite a spread.

The people at NADA are snorting fairy dust. You can find DRs for $1400, but they typically aren't going to be in very good shape, and they typically aren't going to be a 2002 with just 10K miles. KBB is closer to what you can expect, but I would say that's a bit high for what you can find.

What would be a fair offer for this bike? The seller has indicated that he is a bit flexible on price, but has said he will not take (and has already turned down) a $1,500 offer. I am thinking maybe starting at $1,700 and ending at $1,900, and if it helps getting the bike at a lower price, I could let the seller keep the saddlebags, which I really don't need. But, I really do not have a clear idea what these bikes are worth. If someone here can tell me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
I'd expect around $2K if the bike is in decent shape but not pristine. Does it have a skid and real aluminum handguards included?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #83278
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
I have a large problem. I just drove 300 miles on my 2011 DR650, from charlotte to Charleston.

When I got there, it just died. If I try to start it it makes the noise but it doesn't turn over. When it does turn over and I start to drive it it will die again.

I'm understanding this to mean that the starter turns the engine over, but the engine doesn't fire up. Does the starter turn it over well, or is it struggling?

Have you pulled the drain cap at the bottom front nipple of the airbox? You might have fuel/water/oil flooding the airbox if you were running it in heavy rain and then running it hard.

What could be the issue? I have to drive this thing another 300 miles on sunday so I have GOT to fix it.

Just for your information, I drove it 200 miles in the rain and then the last 100 miles I drove it hard at like 95mph continuously.
Make sure your intake boot isn't leaking. Make sure you have fuel getting to the carb and that the carb inlet filter is clear. Make sure your idle-mix screw didn't vibrate out. Make sure you have strong spark.

Check your valve clearances too. Your compression could be low if your valves aren't seating properly now.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #83279
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I've never owned one before but im about to look for one on amazon now. Thank you. Nothing worse then stripped screws.
I think the Phillips that comes in the tool kit with the DR is the correct one. I have been meaning to put a real handle I can actually grip on mine.

I have also found through the years that the spark plug wrench that comes in the kits fit and work better than any snap on one that I have in the tool box. Go figure.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #83280
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Really no help.

Sure it is, now you'll sound like less of a noob.