Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #1861
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
Does anyone else make those DIY hoops? Would someone here with the correct tools be willing to make some? I have a JD2 bender but my dies are all 1.25" and up. I cant justify paying several hunderd $$$ for a die just to make one set.

What size tube does Berg use? I'll look around for a deal on a used die.
You might try this guy for some loops.
He does not show that he sells them separately, but perhaps he would.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788735

http://www.moto-racks.com/Products.html
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1862
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
I've spoken with Berg personally....couple times in October. He's just selling off the last of the racks he has made. When they are gone, it's over. Said hez's all out of parts / materials now, but does have a few completed racks of various models. Yu could also try Somme of the dealers who may have stocked items. I noticed Revzilla has some listed in stock for a few models.

Berg used 3/4" diameter DOM steel tubing. Reasonable light, fairly strong, and darn good looking when all buttoned up. I think his racks have been some of the best in the industry. He'll be missed. Very nice guy too!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #1863
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
It is finished….the saga has ended.

Reckon there's nothing left to do but go camping!

Hhhmmmm….I see a long trip in my near future.

HF

I really want to make my own pannier racks just like these ones. Did you happen to keep a note of all relevant dimensions, to save me from having to risk measuring-up for my own components? If you did and are willing to post the info here I would be truly grateful! There was mention of the hoops; I think you bought them separate but they are now hard to come by. is this correct? If so, I'm willing to fabricate my own.

Thanks for your detailed post on lubing the chain, and thanks to the other repliers too. The advice you gave seems a bit involved for my liking; I just want to spray the chain and go! I settled - for the time being - on a spray-on cleaner and some chain wax (lube) spray, so I'll see how I go. Ideally I would have a chain cover. I'll dig-up a picture of the sort of thing I mean (I saw such a thing on a 200cc dirt bike used for Saharan trips, at a recent bike show) and post it here when I find one.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #1864
LenVenturaCA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb Thanks for helping to develop this windshield!

HF,

Thanks for coming up with the idea, and working with Madstad to bring it to market. Even with the accessory Husky windshield, the lack of wind protection is one of the big weaknesses on long rides with my TR650 - especially in a head wind.

If I understand you correctly, Madstad now includes side braces (similar to what you fabricated for your set up). And, that the 15" windshield can be substituted for the larger ones. I didn't see the 15" offered on the website. I'll call in my order on Monday.

Thanks again!
LenVenturaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #1865
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827

Test rode the husky with all the farkels. Real pleased with everything. Hope to give it a good workout in Big Bend area in the near future.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1866
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post

Mail brought a present. The box weighed 18# and contained a skid plate, windshield and rear rack.

Took about three hours to get them all on.
TCI came through. I'll get more pics later
Since this post, I've been stalking the mail. Still no racks for me.... :(

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #1867
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificus View Post
I really want to make my own pannier racks just like these ones. Did you happen to keep a note of all relevant dimensions, to save me from having to risk measuring-up for my own components? If you did and are willing to post the info here I would be truly grateful! There was mention of the hoops; I think you bought them separate but they are now hard to come by. is this correct? If so, I'm willing to fabricate my own.

Thanks for your detailed post on lubing the chain, and thanks to the other repliers too. The advice you gave seems a bit involved for my liking; I just want to spray the chain and go! I settled - for the time being - on a spray-on cleaner and some chain wax (lube) spray
Go for it....Pacificus. Make them "yours", they don't have to be exactly like mine. Though, I appreciate the compliments.

I didn't keep any detailed notes on measurements or dimensions. Too many angles and custom hand-made fits. Each part is different from another. I just work them by hand with a hacksaw and hand-file until I get them close enough to work. I subscribe to the "eyeball" method, since I don't have any fancy high-tech equipment or machines (beyond my little Hobart 140 welder).

And here's proof......I'm starting all over from scratch again. Built another wood jig today. Cut up an old KLR (Wolfman) rack, ground & filed off the weld slag, and now I'm back to square one.

None of my previous dimensions will be useful, since I'm welding to the new steel tailrack (aka RE-Superack) this time.

HF

p.s. How you clean your chain (or not) is up to you. I prefer to get the longest life possible, while minimizing potential problems in the field. That all starts with good maintenance.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1868
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenVenturaCA View Post
HF,

Thanks for coming up with the idea, and working with Madstad to bring it to market. Even with the accessory Husky windshield, the lack of wind protection is one of the big weaknesses on long rides with my TR650 - especially in a head wind.

If I understand you correctly, Madstad now includes side braces (similar to what you fabricated for your set up). And, that the 15" windshield can be substituted for the larger ones. I didn't see the 15" offered on the website. I'll call in my order on Monday.

Thanks again!
My pleasure

Yes, the TR650 kit will included professional grade side supports. I've got the first set on mine. His are much better than my hand-twisted strap....though they served the purpose to get us to this point.

You can order any size or shape windshield that you desire. Just call Mark at Madstad and discuss with him. Or email him: support@madstad.com

I think that was his email....double check the Contact section on his website.

Depending upon your height, you might even want an 18" or 20" tall shield. Its so easy to swap out shields, that its nice to have a couple options and shades.

HF
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #1869
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

None of my previous dimensions will be useful, since I'm welding to the new steel tailrack (aka RE-Superack) this time.

HF

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #1870
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
here's the wood jig I used for mine.

Finished sidebag racks

I bought the hoops pre-made and did a lot of the eyeball thing. Grinder and rat tail file for a notcher.

Then I needed a rack but I didn't think any of the ones available would work with the side bag racks. So I did this.

This time I made my own bends with a conduit bender. It won't do a 180 but it will do 2 90s.

A thing of beauty it is not, but it is stout. Anxious to see how much firewood it will haul. I welded some M8 nuts to it in spots that correspond with holes in the bottom of a big pelican case I have but not using it that way too much.

Here's how it looks holding all my crap.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #1871
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks, H5 and DoM. I'll get to work on my own as soon as I can. I'm hoping to have all the needed things added to the bike very soon, in time for a winter trip to the south Moroccan warmth.

DoM, where did you get the pre-made hoops from, if I may ask?
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #1872
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
I think I got my hoops from BR Moto but I'm not sure.
It's been a while and I forget stuff anymore. As someone has mentioned already, they don't have to be hoops and they don't have to be made of round tubing. In hindsight I would have bought my wolfman bags first and then designed my mount system around my tools and abilities.
Although I did get to learn stuff, that's always good.

Edit, pretty sure I got the hoops at "back road moto".

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R

DirtyOldMan screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 03:01 PM
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #1873
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Stupid question is anyone else's front brake reservoir leaking? Mine is not leaking bad, but I notice that the front is slightly wet. I tightened the top (very little) cleaned but the leak returned. Thoughts fix? Tks
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #1874
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Mine is "not" leaking, Hambone, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's a worthy warranty item. Can you have the Dealer inspect it? Warped lid....possibly?

HF

***Edit**** oops iPad typo. Mine is NOT leaking. I corrected above.

HighFive screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 09:06 AM
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #1875
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
RE: Madstad windshield brackets -- FWIW they will sell just the bracket w/o their windshields. Mine should be here Friday and I'll use one of several spare windshields to modify to suit me.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote