User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #4666
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Carb

I found some time to pull the carb after the bike completely stopped and refused to start again when at single track steepy sections. As usual, it run fine on road but not so fine offroad, continously stalling.
The carb was full of gas, flooded. Apart from the weird colour of the needle all the rest looked fine. The needle was in the 4th slot from the top ... before I lost its circlip.
A few of you suggested it could be running lean and causing overheating, but taking a look inside the carb it doesn't seem to be the case.
I was hoping to take a look at the jets but haven't yet succeeded in unbolting those butter screws at the bottom of the carb.
This carb is a second hand one with only 12k kms, plus another 5k I've done, since the older one needed a new slide&guide, membrane and needle at 50k kms.
A couple of pictures :

Tonicu screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 07:02 AM
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #4667
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Tonicu,

I'm right there with you - on my last big trip the bike would stall in rough terrain and then I'd have to wait some to restart it...

I rebuilt some of the carb, haven't tested off-road rough terrain yet, but now the bike is stalling when cold and I have to constantly restart it until warm...

I've been instructed to change out the jets (mine have over 10,000mi on them as I didn't think about them) and check for air leaks in the engine-side boot.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #4668
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Tonicu,

I'm right there with you - on my last big trip the bike would stall in rough terrain and then I'd have to wait some to restart it...

I rebuilt some of the carb, haven't tested off-road rough terrain yet, but now the bike is stalling when cold and I have to constantly restart it until warm...

I've been instructed to change out the jets (mine have over 10,000mi on them as I didn't think about them) and check for air leaks in the engine-side boot.
Cheers, Meat.
Sounds weird calling you that, even if we haven't met.
Maybe it's a language issue.
The boot was changed when replacing the carb, and is in good order.
The previous one was cracked and hard as a rock, calling loud for a replacement.

Other symptom is that it backfires a bit, not too much, but it's clearly noticeable.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #4669
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,556
Quote:
Tonicu,

Another thing you could check for, basically in the vein of checking for air leaks, is the vacuum line to the fuel pump. Is it in good shape?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #4670
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Another thing you could check for, basically in the vein of checking for air leaks, is the vacuum line to the fuel pump. Is it in good shape?
Vacuum line to the fuel pump ...

The marked one?

This is the previous old carb.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #4671
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
Vacuum line to the fuel pump ...

The marked one?

This is the previous old carb.
No, that's not the vacuum line. That's the vent to the diaphragm. Without a filter on it it will allow dust into the slide area, accelerating slide wear.

The fuel pump vacuum line comes off the head, right next to the carb intake boot and runs down to the fuel pump.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #4672
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
Cheers, Meat.
Sounds weird calling you that, even if we haven't met.
Maybe it's a language issue.
Other symptom is that it backfires a bit, not too much, but it's clearly noticeable.
Sau'de Tonicu, I don't know what carne implies in España.

Long ago I was told backfiring can indicate leaks in the exhaust circuit. I found it was difficult to see them until I started using soapy water like they use to check for gas leaks on a propane grill or natural gas appliance.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #4673
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
I'll check. All I recall at this point is the fuel line was difficult to reinstall, but I cut off a bit and it seemed to be ok.

Maybe this possible lean condition could be from a failing fuel pump? Would also be evident during warm running?

I have a ride later next week, so I'll be after this today and maybe tomorrow too.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #4674
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
I'll check. All I recall at this point is the fuel line was difficult to reinstall, but I cut off a bit and it seemed to be ok.

Maybe this possible lean condition could be from a failing fuel pump? Would also be evident during warm running?

I have a ride later next week, so I'll be after this today and maybe tomorrow too.
I think the fuel pump doesn't do a whole lot until your tank gets low. A way to verify would be to fill up the tank and see if the problem persists.

This spring I replaced all the fuel hoses on my bike. The vacuum line was pretty well cracked internally. Squeeze the end and look inside. The PO had a big honking hose clamp on it, but line was very deteriorated.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #4675
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think the fuel pump doesn't do a whole lot until your tank gets low. A way to verify would be to fill up the tank and see if the problem persists.

This spring I replaced all the fuel hoses on my bike. The vacuum line was pretty well cracked internally. Squeeze the end and look inside. The PO had a big honking hose clamp on it, but line was very deteriorated.
Apologies for my untrained mechanics eye, but I'm not sure my 640 Enduro '03 has a fuel pump.

The fuel lines looked fine, but I'll double check.
Thanks!

Any ideas for the decoloration of the needle?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #4676
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,005
The Enduro should not have a fuel pump. It should have a normal manual petcock and fuel line straight to the carb. If it has the 18l fuel tank it will be a very short, very expensive convoluted fuel line.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #4677
tuningmeisterjj
Vagabond

Oddometer: 10
Bluhduh Help!!!!

I really need some help here!! I have a 2005 640 Adventure.. Had it 6 months and I have a problem.. The bike cuts out when its idling in traffic or even on the stand.
I have changed my inline fuel filter I have along with checking the flow from the tank and the breather for the tank and all the tank end seems fine.. Flow from the tap and into The inline filter. The filter is full then after about 15-20 mins of it ticking over the filter is empty and the bike cuts out...
Any ideas?!?!?!
Please and thanks!
tuningmeisterjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4678
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The Enduro should not have a fuel pump. It should have a normal manual petcock and fuel line straight to the carb. If it has the 18l fuel tank it will be a very short, very expensive convoluted fuel line.
I have seen a different petcock in the parts book that points the other direction. It would make the 18l tank sure raised to install the fuel line.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #4679
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuningmeisterjj View Post
I really need some help here!! I have a 2005 640 Adventure.. Had it 6 months and I have a problem.. The bike cuts out when its idling in traffic or even on the stand.
I have changed my inline fuel filter I have along with checking the flow from the tank and the breather for the tank and all the tank end seems fine.. Flow from the tap and into The inline filter. The filter is full then after about 15-20 mins of it ticking over the filter is empty and the bike cuts out...
Any ideas?!?!?!
Please and thanks!
Run it with the gas gap loose, run it without the fuel filter(straight hose), there is a filter on the intake pipe on the carb, did you check that for plugging? You can remove the petcock guts and check that or completely remove the petcock for cleaning.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #4680
tuningmeisterjj
Vagabond

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Run it with the gas gap loose, run it without the fuel filter(straight hose), there is a filter on the intake pipe on the carb, did you check that for plugging? You can remove the petcock guts and check that or completely remove the petcock for cleaning.

bill
Thanks for the reply Bill I have run it with the cap loose and cleaned the breathers in the cap. I have changed the filter and checked the petcock and its flows freely without a hose connected so I am stumped!
I shall check the intake pipe on the carb but what do you think about the diaphram on the fuel pump? Are they prone to failing?

JJ
tuningmeisterjj is offline   Reply With Quote