ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #271
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina
 
Srbenda's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Embassy of the Nation of South Carolina
Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
that is what I want, for my 3 acres of woods and lawn. I can't justify it as of yet, I've no place to put it! There is one locally (40 miles away) with 350 hours, $14k. That seems high. It has the FEL and BH. My lawn is not big enough to require the mower, but a box scraper could come in handy.

I can't just spend that $$ and have it rust outside all winter.

sigh.

Mendo
I have a BX22, and paid about $7k with 700 hours.
I have a FEL and 60" MMM. Great little machine.
Sometimes I have been limited by the overall lifting capacity for boulders and logs, but generally, I can do so much more than I could previously.

Great little tractors.
__________________
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #272
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I have a BX23 and couldn't be happier.

In my opinion the drive on decks are one more maintenance headache.
How often do you plan on switching attachments?

I only switch a couple times a year (I admit the 23 has a better BH attachment the 24,25`s) after you do a couple hook-ups it will be easier. YMMV. Use the hydraulic`s to do work not your. braun

Try the seating position I'm a big guy and just fit "in" the cockpit. That's one thing I never though about when looking.

Tom

fat fingered on a droid
I have looked hard at the BX, Can you tell me how the drive over deck is a headache?

I have a feeling that the backhoe will be off and on quite often, have a great deal of small-ish stumps to dig up, and a great deal of trees to clear. Thinking of a PTO chipper to do something....anything with all those trees over just burn them....so I think after a good pile gets made the backhoe will come off and the chipper will go on.

I know when pulling the deck off the 650 is a supreme bitch. Thing weighs like 300lbs and I have to use my lift to raise the front of the tractor to get it out from under it....totally sucks.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #273
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have looked hard at the BX, Can you tell me how the drive over deck is a headache?

I have a feeling that the backhoe will be off and on quite often, have a great deal of small-ish stumps to dig up, and a great deal of trees to clear. Thinking of a PTO chipper to do something....anything with all those trees over just burn them....so I think after a good pile gets made the backhoe will come off and the chipper will go on.

I know when pulling the deck off the 650 is a supreme bitch. Thing weighs like 300lbs and I have to use my lift to raise the front of the tractor to get it out from under it....totally sucks.

My the drive on part is no problem is it the quick shaft attachment? one more piece to fail in my opinion.

I really wanted to go green when I bought mine but the way the 23's seat swivels around was a plus and the hoe is mounted differently tight to the frame not hung on the 3 point like a lot of tractors my old neighbor had a old 8n with 3 point backhoe and it was a bear to hook up and it had broken the mounts some point in its life frame mounted or sub frame hoe is the only way to go sub frame ususlly means deck has to come off to clear frame.

Then I am in the tractor is a tool to use and any thing that makes more connections and joints is more prone to brake.

why do you need to take the deck off to use the back hoe?

my lawn is not golf course type I only take the hoe off when I need the 3 point 1-2 times a year
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #274
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
My the drive on part is no problem is it the quick shaft attachment? one more piece to fail in my opinion.

I really wanted to go green when I bought mine but the way the 23's seat swivels around was a plus and the hoe is mounted differently tight to the frame not hung on the 3 point like a lot of tractors my old neighbor had a old 8n with 3 point backhoe and it was a bear to hook up and it had broken the mounts some point in its life frame mounted or sub frame hoe is the only way to go sub frame ususlly means deck has to come off to clear frame.

Then I am in the tractor is a tool to use and any thing that makes more connections and joints is more prone to brake.

why do you need to take the deck off to use the back hoe?

my lawn is not golf course type I only take the hoe off when I need the 3 point 1-2 times a year
It was just a comment on how hard it was to take the deck off the 650, I know the Kubota is suppose to be easy....but the JD just looked...More easy :)

Plus I have a pretty bad back,neck,arm. And if I am going to stay on my property I need to work smarter not harder. The BX was just a little harder for me to get on, a little taller. Also the seat felt less good to me. I am really sold on the Yanmar engine, I know Kubota makes a good diesel but I only have experience with this, and I know this tractor will run and mow 8hrs at a pretty heavy load on 1/4 tank of gas.

I usually mow the front and let the back go, this year I did the opposite. One neighbor bailed the back, the one that was to do the front bailed on me...so now it is TALL_TALL. The part that got bailed (and that is not all of it) gave 314 square bails....and he was commenting on just how thick it was. IIRC the last time the front was bailed it gave 42 round bails. Remember the size of the land, entire thing is on 13a, and I would bet that about 5-6 are not useable, very bumpy and overgrown. Old cow area and you really can't even walk back there...thoughts have been for years to get a tiller and just hit the entire area and let it smooth itself out....just never had a machine that could run a big tiller.

I will likely make the buy next month, not sure I think both JD and Kubota run fall specials. Also looked at New Holland (nothing really there) and Mahindra...don't have a good feeling there, friend has a bigger Mahindra and he has had problems....you can have problems with anything, but just not a good feeling there.

It will be a BX or 1series, I really think it will spend about as much time mowing as it will digging.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #275
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Just North of the Madness, WI
Oddometer: 474
While shopping and gathering info back in 06, many people said to avoid mid mount mowers unless mowing was the primary use. Even the dealer talked me out of the on-ramp setup.

I ended up with a JD3520, 3pt 6 ft finish mower, and it works great. If you are looking for golf course finish, it may not work for you. But, over the years, mowing has become secondary, compared to all the other jobs the tractor does. I spend quite a bit of time in the woods cutting wood, dragging logs clearing brush, tilling food plots and I'm happy I don't have to screw around with a MMM.

My recommendations, decide on how versital the machine needs to be and size the chassis accordingly. Then get the most hp and loader capacity in that chassis.

I'm happy with my 3000 series, but should have got the 3720. As well as the larger loader.

I'd also really recommend the quick attach loader. It's nice to mow and spray without the loader on.

Also, gotta have pallet forks.
Claybuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #276
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
shit shit shit

I can get the local BX-23 for $14k + tax, delivered. Total $15057.
no place to store it, but I can make something.

damn!

that is half of what I have left of my inheritance from my mother, seems prudent to keep that in the bank..

Mendo
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #277
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
I can get the local BX-23 for $14k + tax, delivered. Total $15057.
no place to store it, but I can make something.

damn!

that is half of what I have left of my inheritance from my mother, seems prudent to keep that in the bank..

Mendo
I wish it was local to me....been looking at tractor house for a few weeks....around 14 seems to be the going price for a BX25 with a bucket and a back hoe.....and I want that back hoe. Just need to find one I don't have to drive 200+ miles to go get.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #278
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
Mom says fuck prudent



delivered today. outside my window...but its dark

wow. that is one badass little tractor

Mendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
I can get the local BX-23 for $14k + tax, delivered. Total $15057.
no place to store it, but I can make something.

damn!

that is half of what I have left of my inheritance from my mother, seems prudent to keep that in the bank..

Mendo
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #279
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
tried eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I wish it was local to me....been looking at tractor house for a few weeks....around 14 seems to be the going price for a BX25 with a bucket and a back hoe.....and I want that back hoe. Just need to find one I don't have to drive 200+ miles to go get.
lots over there, but shipping to CA is out.

mendo
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #280
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
delivered Friday....

pretty tough little tractor, put it to work over the weekend skidding out logs and loading rounds into trucks.

__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #281
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,266
I skidded a couple of logs out last weekend I put them in the hoe curl bucket swing to to right so log is alongside of tractor set it down move back on log pick it up again with hoe throw a chain around front of log to hook on loader and lift front and drive to log pile. When cutting I I pick log up on loader waist high to save my back some and Mark log and cut it while on bucket. Lifting off the ground saves alot on my back and dirt that ruins saw chains.

Transcribed by gnomes directly from my thoughts.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #282
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
thought about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I skidded a couple of logs out last weekend I put them in the hoe curl bucket swing to to right so log is alongside of tractor set it down move back on log pick it up again with hoe throw a chain around front of log to hook on loader and lift front and drive to log pile. When cutting I I pick log up on loader waist high to save my back some and Mark log and cut it while on bucket. Lifting off the ground saves alot on my back and dirt that ruins saw chains.

Transcribed by gnomes directly from my thoughts.
I was thinking about using the loader for that but didn't want to overload it. I guess I could cut the logs shorter, they are bull pine, some green, some dead.

I'll try that this weekend, thanks!

Mendo
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #283
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
I was thinking about using the loader for that but didn't want to overload it. I guess I could cut the logs shorter, they are bull pine, some green, some dead.

I'll try that this weekend, thanks!

Mendo
I've had some 20-30 ft 10" trees on the loader bucket just be careful when raising up it doesn't roll back on you.
The 23 will lift ~1000 lbs in the loader if every thing is working correctly.
The other reason I lift them along side the reactor instead of dragging them is I don't want to rip the road and grass were I have to drive too, with the log dragging and came up with the side approach it works well for me I welded 3 hooks to the loader bucket slip hook in center and grab hook on the ends mounted on pieces of 3" angle for reinforcement.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #284
Mendodave
Road Scholar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: North Coast California, M/C Heaven!
Oddometer: 864
great help, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I've had some 20-30 ft 10" trees on the loader bucket just be careful when raising up it doesn't roll back on you.
The 23 will lift ~1000 lbs in the loader if every thing is working correctly.
The other reason I lift them along side the reactor instead of dragging them is I don't want to rip the road and grass were I have to drive too, with the log dragging and came up with the side approach it works well for me I welded 3 hooks to the loader bucket slip hook in center and grab hook on the ends mounted on pieces of 3" angle for reinforcement.

tom
dragged 60' of logs out of the forest and hoisted them up with the loader.
great idea, slice your way down the line.

my old Husky 65 still kicks ass. first paycheck out of high school in '75.
2 weeks, $150.

I have a newer one for smaller stuff...but the Big Boy comes out sometimes.
I had to replace the butterfly valve shaft in the carb, dammit, but other than that it's been chains, gas, and oil.

__________________
MSF RiderCoach
'81 R80G/S 'Moby'
'82 CT110 "Postie'

Mendodave screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 04:49 PM
Mendodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #285
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
dragged 60' of logs out of the forest and hoisted them up with the loader.
great idea, slice your way down the line.

my old Husky 65 still kicks ass. first paycheck out of high school in '75.
2 weeks, $150.

I have a newer one for smaller stuff...but the Big Boy comes out sometimes.
I had to replace the butterfly valve shaft in the carb, dammit, but other than that it's been chains, gas, and oil.

As I get older I defiantly try and work smarter not harder, good work!!!
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014