Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I can't stop laughing at the Polygamy beer. Very clever tag line.
Yes, and it was actually not bad beer. Here is a picture of the other side of the glass

dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Day 9 Bryce Canyon to Loa UT

Map Day 9 Bryce Canyon to Loa UT

Good morning from "Man it's cold here in Bryce Canyon"! -6 this morning when we woke at 7:30

On the way to Bryce Canyon the low air pressure light came on for the front tire on my motorcycle ... the friggin' cold even affected my tire! So I rolled into Bryce going very slow because I was worried about ruining the tire. We pulled into an all service gas station to get some air. Before we know it there was a line up of vehicles and a dude on a bicycle, from Calgary, all needing air.

Saturday September 28th was National Public Lands Day so the park entrance was free. At the gate we encountered the crabbiest park attendant ever. Most are so friendly and chatty but not this gal. We tried joking with her and ... nothin'. The ride into Bryce Canyon is kind of deceiving because it is thick forest and you don't get any hints on what awaits you. We stopped at the visitors centre so Garth could pick up some stickers and decided that our plan would be to ride to the end of the park, approx 18 miles, and then slowly make our way back.

Did you know that the Utah Prairie Dog is an endangered species? Well now you do! Along the way the canyon starts to open up with glimpses of it from the scenic turnouts and it is breathtaking!

We got down to the end and just could not believe that such a place existed. All we kept saying is that “you could wear a camera out here”

The most prevalent characteristic is a rock formation called a hoodoo. The best way for me to explain them is that they remind me of chess pieces and they are everywhere sometimes in clumps and sometimes individual. In some places they are huge and in others they are small.

Massive rock faces with an amazing canyon hundreds of feet below. But the colours are another matter. The orange rock is almost flourescent with mixes of tan, caramel, white, and grey all throughout the entire area. The Rainbow Point is the scenic area at the end of the park. We walked the Bristlecone Trail in our motorcycle gear and that was how we started to warm up.

Absolutely beautiful blue sky and sunshine. Garth took many pictures.

We stopped at a couple more scenic turnouts and then we encountered this chick who thought it would be a good idea to stand on the top of one of the posts of the barricade (maybe 18" by 18") and attempt a yoga pose ... holy crap! I grabbed Garth and said "let's get out of here before we witness this chick fall to her death" and turned to see her bend down to grab the edge of the top to balance herself ... crazy!

This was a similar post that she tried to stand on. Did not take a picture of her incase it was to be used in evidence but lets just say this is a reasonable facsimile

The next scenic turnouts that we visited were Paria Point, Bryce Point and Inspiration Point. At the Paria Point Garth decided to turn into a dare devil! In search of the perfect photograph he went beyond the barricade and way out to the edge ... I couldn't watch ... it gave me heart palpitations!

The most photographed area of Bryce Canyon is the scenery off of Bryce Point.

There are literally thousands of hoodoos in this area. It is beautiful ... crazy beautiful! At another viewpoint the hoodoos were white, huge, and arranged in such a way that it reminded me of a cathedral.

At Inspiration Point the viewing area was a steep hike up from the parking lot. It was getting quite warm and I was tired and hungry so I didn't make the hike but Garth did.

Again many pictures were taken but they honestly will not do this amazing place any justice. And it is so hard to explain ... it really is a place that you have to see to appreciate. Being a free parks day there were a lot of folks out to enjoy the park. Many motorcyclists as well.

When we got back to our bikes in the Inspiration Point parking lot we found another BMW parked really close to us. They really squeezed in beside Garth. They came along shortly after we got there and the wife seemed friendly but the guy would not give us the time of day. Just a nasty piece of work!

After leaving Bryce we stopped for some long overdue lunch at Tropic, a couple of miles east of Bryce and in a valley. While there Garth had a conversation with a fellow motorcyclist who warned that we might not get a place to stay at our destination of Torrey Utah. There was a rally happening in the area and everything was booked. He recommended "The Snuggle Inn" in the town of Loa just a half hour out of our way. So away we went to find "The Snuggle Inn".

Our route was highway 12 east and a stretch of it is considered a class 1 motorcycle route. Class 1 routes are "the best motorcycle rides ... dramatic and thrilling, high mountain passes, deep canyons, sweepers, switchbacks, and twisties". This was a crazy ride and had all of the above.

At one point we were riding a ridge ... it was only as wide as the highway itself ... no guardrails and probably 500 ft drops on both sides! This went on for about a half a mile! It was scarey and all I did was look forward ... no looking around for this gal!

We eventually caught up with some Harley riders and this proved to be very entertaining. There were 6 or 7 choppers with the big fat rear tires and one big orange bike that had a corvette engine. So in the line up I was the last rider. The big orange bike was ahead of Garth and in front of him was an, what looked to be, inexperienced Harley chopper rider. He had a helluva time making the tight turns. And they are so low to the ground that they cannot lean too far over or their foot pegs will drag or get caught on the highway. So they roar through the straight stretches and then crawl through the corners.

A portion of highway 12 is open range for cattle and we encountered some. They were grazing along the side of the road. A couple of times the loud Harley's spooked them and they started to move and that is not great when you are the last rider ... damn loud Harley's ... I was praying for them cows to stay put until after I went by.

When we hit Torrey they all turned into the Days Inn and we said goodbye and made our way to Loa.
Picture outside our room at “the Snuggle Inn”

We had just unpacked and walked down to the nearest gas station to get some beer when here they come ... all of these big Harley riders pulled in and got rooms at "The Snuggle Inn", haha! When Garth was securing our bikes he talked to a couple of these Harley dudes and they were really great. Out on a weekend ride and all from Salt Lake City.

Cool old Willys jeep at hotel

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 05:17 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Day 10 Capitol Reef National Park and Blanding Utah

Day 10 map

Sunday morning we had breakfast at a local cafe and then made our way down highway 24 east to Capitol Reef National Park.

Not really understanding why it is called a reef we made our way and soon realized that we have been looking at this massive expanse of rock for awhile. So the reef was formed when the earth was buckling and folding and it is a massive wall of rock (with really cool, dramatic cuts and colours) and goes on for miles. It is very majestic and totally lives up to the name.

After popping into the visitors centre for Garth to get some stickers we followed a 10 mile scenic roadway through the park. There is a beautiful campground along with a Mormon homestead to visit. There is a U-Pick fruit orchard (apples I think) and big beautiful trees. It was a perfect way to spend Sunday morning.

The roadway was windy and narrow with a 20 mph speed limit so I just putted along in second gear and really enjoyed it all. Others had the same idea and we encountered folks that brought out there morning coffee to enjoy it in the peace and quiet of this spectacular place.

Again we were surrounded by deep earthy colours. The rock walls loomed overhead. Two of the hiking spots were closed because of a recent flood. The signage detailed that 1 inch of rain in the mountains means a torrent flood of water down below. Leaving lots of damage and sand and mud to be removed so that roads and areas can be opened. We really enjoyed our visit to Capitol Reef.

From there we continued down highway 24 and had lunch at Hanksville (aka Flyville ... man you should have seen how many flies there were on our bikes and jackets when we came out of the restaurant)!

We turned south onto highway 95, one of America's lost highways,

We were headed towards Monument Valley but we had to change our plans because we didn't realize how desolate that highway is and we were going to run out of gas before we hit Monument Valley.
You know that part in the movie Forest Gump where Forest decides to stop running ... well the scenery in the background during that part of the movie is Monument Valley.

(Garth) I really wanted to get to Monument valley and re-create the Forrest Gump scene. It is one of my favorite movies. I must have watched it 20 times by now.
It would have been about the half way point of our trip and a perfect place to run up to the camera and just say "I'm tired, I think i want to go home now"

We made a stop at the Natural Bridges National Monument instead and took the 10 mile scenery tour. The bridges are made of rock (of course) and well that is about it! Nice area ... a bit different to what we have seen already (the rocks seemed to be rounder and smoother and not so much red but tan and brown in colour) and then we scooted because like I said we were running out of gas!

We made it to Blanding where we not only gased up but decided to stay (we had hit 5 o'clock which is one of our rules ... 500 k or 5 o'clock which ever comes first). Got a room at the Four Corners Inn and had supper at the Steak House next door. A really great day!

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 06:19 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Day 11 Blanding to Monticello via Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado

Day 11 map

Instead of Monument Valley Garth decided that we should make the treck into Colorado and visit the Mesa Verde National Park. It is where the Pueblo people lived in the cliffs 800 years ago and it is amazing.

We motored into Cortez Colorado and found the beautiful Colorado Welcome Centre.

There we received really good info about the park and picked up some stickers and pins. The area around Cortez is really nice farm land ... nice and green with tilled up pastures, lots of green trees and rolling hills.

In the far distance there are snow capped mountains and the ride to the park leads us towards a, what appears to be, single flat top mountain much like what we saw in Utah. Man is that deceiving! The road takes us up and up and up ... so many switchbacks and over the top then down into a bit of a valley and then up and up and up again.

Narrow, no guardrails and tight twisty turns.

Then over the top and down into a bit of a valley again and then it happens all over again! The scenery is unbelievable and the distance to the parking lot for the cliffs is 18 miles.

We bought tickets for the 1:30 pm tour of the Cliff Palace (it is the only one that appeals to me and is actually easiest enough to do ... the other Balcony House requires 100 ft ladder climbs and crawling through a 12 ft tunnel ... no way!).

Cliff Palace requires a 100 ft climb down using man made stairs and then on the exit it means a bit of a climb on man made stairs and then 3 ladders of about 8 - 10 ft in length. So we waited around the parking lot because we were about 45 minutes early.

Each tour is made up of 50 people. While waiting we people watch! Fantastic! One lady comes down to the platform where the tour begins and she exclaims "I forgot my puffer and I don't want to vomit"! Haha! The tour was an hour long and really informative.

Looking at the people there you can see the scale of the dwellings.

This Cliff Palace was inhabited 800 years ago. The alcove in the cliff that these people chose to develop was 90 ft deep and they used the existing rock or the rock that fell into the valley below to make walls for their village.

Approx 150 people lived there and there is 3 stories with ladders connecting each level. Now it is all beige in colour like the rock but back then they used coloured plaster, red and yellow, to cover the walls. It must have been extremely colourful. After the tour we grabbed a bite to eat and then drove into Monticello Utah for the night.

We had been watching the news and for some reason the US government was planning to shut down (huh????) and in turn they would close all of the National Parks. It was beyond me how this could happen.

Did the people quit paying their taxes?

Did they (the government) actually have the right to close the peoples treasures and not allow access by the people who owned them?

Was this still the land of the free?

It surely did not seem right but tomorrow would tell the tale.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Day 12 Monticello to Price Utah via Moab

Day 12 map

Todays theme. The republicans ruined my vacation but saved my ass from riding in the snow!

We woke to a beautiful day! The drive to Moab was only about an hour.

Moab is very touristy because of the outdoor activities that are offered in the area. It is like our Banff and Jasper with lots of wealthy people walking around with the best of gear on! You can rent ATV's, UTV's, bicycles, kayaks, 4 wheelers, paddle boards, jeeps, and dirt bikes. We stopped into a "Pancake Haus" for brunch and then sought out the Tourist Information Centre because we needed to confirm that the National Parks were indeed closed because of the government shut-down. Yup they are ... and will continue to be! The last two National Parks on our tour, Canyonlands and Arches, we would not be able to visit.

The Tourist Information Centre was really nice with staff who had to tell the story of the government shut-down over and over again. One young lady at the front counter (European .. Germany I think) just could not believe that they couldn't go into the parks! The staff member was quite embarrassed because there are hundreds of tour buses coming and going from those parks and now what do they do! She did a really good job however of selling the local scenic tours and the state run parks.

She recommended to us that we drive the River Road, just outside of Moab, that follows the Colorado River and also the Dead Horse Point State Park. So after picking up stickers and pins we took off for the River Road. It was outstanding! The rock walls are a bit different in this area of Utah.

They are rounder and with the red colour and the dimples and holes they remind me of sweet potatoes or yams!

These round rocks are what draws the dirt bikers, ATV'ers, and jeep driving dare-devils to the area. The back country has an endless amount of dirt roads just waiting to be explored.

Anyway, we followed the River Road for 15 miles (that is where the road and river split) and then we turned around and headed back to highway 191.

I just have to mention that the Colorado River is huge, very wide, very muddy and has pretty tame rapids along River Road at this time of year (maybe in the spring it runs wilder but we are not sure).

For the bicycling enthusiasts there are paved bike trails all over and in fact along the River Road they are being further developed and will be fantastic!

After we turned onto highway 191 we decided to try and go into Arches National Park just to see if we could 1) get in and 2) see any of the arches. Well we sure couldn't! The staff had barricades across the road and a sign posted explaining the closure. The highway patrol was even there to lend a hand. Some tourists had turned in and when we went by they were getting there picture taken with the parks staff! 10 more miles down the highway we turned into the Dead Horse Point State Park. The drive down into the park was 22 miles.

When we got to the entrance gate Garth asked about the increase in tourists and the young man told us that the fee was good for 3 days just in case we couldn't get into the places we wanted to. That park had more tourists through it that day than it had in a very long time! As it turned out we were able to see some of the Canyonlands National Parks' pinnacles and buttes from the Dead Horse Point which towers 2,000 ft above the Colorado River which snakes through the valley below. It is an amazing view and on such a clear beautiful day you can see for miles.

The cliff walls are staggeringly steep and full of deep reds and browns.

The legend of Dead Horse Point is that the point was once used as a corral for wild mustangs roaming the mesa. Cowboys rounded up these horses, herded them across the narrow neck of land and onto the point. The neck, which is only 30 yards wide, was then fenced off with branches and brush, creating a natural corral surrounded by precipitous cliffs. Cowboys then chose the horses they wanted and for reasons unknown, left the other horses corralled on the waterless point where they died of thirst within view of the Colorado River, 2,000 ft below! Horrible ... what a horrible legend!

Garth the dare-devil trekked out beyond the barricades, again, in search of the perfect picture. A lot of the point actually does not have barricades and many folks were creeping towards the edge, clicking cameras, or encouraging their loved ones to creep towards the edge for the perfect picture (right Garth!). I finally had to take over the camera ... no insurance proceeds for you buddy!

Anyway, it was a terrific visit to the state park. They also had a great visitors centre (that's right more stickers and pins).

We left there in 25 degrees and by the time we were back on highway 191 it was 28. So now we are headed back to Jackson Wyoming, our tour having been cut short. But there is another really good reason for cutting our tour short and that is SNOW! Yes a storm is coming through northern Utah and southern Wyoming and the forecast is for rain starting tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon turning to snow over night. A possibility of 10 - 15 cm of the stuff! And that is really terrible conditions when you are on a motorcycle!

We left the Moab area and decided to try to get as many miles under our belt as possible. It was a 2 day ride into Jackson where we had to pick up the truck and trailer. We had been travelling at a pretty leisurely pace enjoying the area but now we had to put some harder miles on.

We made it into Price Utah about 1/2 hr before sunset. It was a pretty open range ride so not a lot of pictures taken. I will say we were starved so we hit the restaurant and garth had one of his new favorite meals, the "Navajo Taco"\

The plan for tomorrow is to make Jackson before the rain and snow so we are getting up early Wednesday morning and trying to get as many miles done in the morning as we can.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,484
Great ride, thanks!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
A+ grade given for this report---and I'm hard to please.

The photography is outstanding. The narration is accurate and informative. I can't say that I've ever seen anything better done on this area. Great Job.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #23
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
The photography is outstanding. The narration is accurate and informative. I can't say that I've ever seen anything better done on this area. Great Job.
Thank you very much, It was a fabulous ride through some incredible country.

I take most of the pictures and Denise does all of the narration. She works in finance and therefore a stickler for detail.

It is too bad that the government shut down had to stop us from our last 2 parks. When we were in the visitors center at Moab there were tourists from Germany who were so frustrated by it all. They had saved and planned for a long time to visit these incredible places and once they get there they find that they are closed because the government was in a partisan spat.

It was like a scene from National Lampoons vacation. In the end it worked out for us as we got to see some country we would have otherwise likely bypassed and got ahead of a storm that you will see in my wrap up.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Great ride, thanks!
Your welcome. It is a great area and I would recommend it to anyone
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #25
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

The wrap up

This was our last day on the motorcycles. We had originally planned to spend more time in Utah visiting Arches and Canyon lands national parks. The government shutdown had put an end to that and even thought it was very disappointing it worked out for the better int he end.

We spent the next 3 days running ahead of a huge snow storm. Everywhere we stopped, it snowed shortly after we left. If we had not brought the truck and trailer we would have surely been trapped for a week or so before we could ride our bikes home.

The rest of the report deals after Day 13 with that trip home

Day 13 Price to Jackson - Rock Springs

"WiFi made me fat" true because in our travels the only strong WiFi signal we could find was at McDonalds! Even the night we stayed at a place with a wireless network without a password we got crappy reception and the kicker is that the network was called Speedlink! In order for Garth to see what the forecasted storm system was doing we stopped and had lunch at McD's.

The forecast for Jackson was not looking good. By 4 o'clock rain and with below 0 temps snow overnight. We roared our way up to Jackson and the sky got darker and darker and we climbed up in elevation. One thing missing from that miserable day was the wind because we had a tail wind and that was great! It was amazing how much the fall colours in the trees and shrubs had changed in the 10 days that we were gone.

The mountainsides now looked like they were covered by a multi-coloured carpet, reds, oranges, yellows and greens, just gorgeous! We motored along the Salt River and then the Snake River. It hadn't started to rain yet and even though the skies were cloudy it was a very pretty and enjoyable ride.

We stopped for gas in Afton, 1 hour away from Jackson, and G encouraged me to put my Frog Toggs jacket on ... thank goodness because almost on cue the rain started and man did it rain! We pulled into the storage place where our truck was and took everything off the bikes threw it all into the back and cab of the truck and still in the pouring rain loaded the bikes onto the trailer and secured them down.

We then found a KMart bought some warm clothes found a Starbucks for some good hot coffee and got the hell out of there. We had to pick our route carefully because we had to go through some mountain passes and it was now after 530 and it was getting colder (it was 3 degrees). For every thousand feet the temp drops 3 degrees and we had a pass of 7900 ft to go through. By the time we got there it was snowing and dark. The snow was accumulating on the trees, shrubs and ground but thank goodness not the highway. We pushed through to Rock Springs WY and crashed for the night .... what a day!

Day 14 Rock Springs WY to Faith SD

The forecast was for rain turning to snow for the entire area. We needed a big push day to stay ahead of the snow and also to get over and away from the mountain ranges. Pretty flat farm and ranch land and in the rain even more boring. I just kept thinking how thankful I was that we had the truck because this storm would have stranded us somewhere for a couple of days if we had been on motorcycles.

This was our mega road snack day! Everything from buffalo and beef jerky to English Toffee Popcorn!

Three or four times during the day AT & T delivered blizzard warning texts to my cell phone. The first time it happened we didn't know what the hell was going on because it was a siren-sounding alarm that we had not ever heard before! We started checking our seat belts and Garth was looking at the dashboard wondering what the hell is that all about! Finally I picked up my cell and there was a flashing message. Crazy! So that sparked some cell phone jealousy! Garth's cell didn't get that message. "Well", he says "that's because I haven't used my phone yet" so he texted me (from across the truck) and I answered him back and then we waited and .... nothing! LOL! When we stopped for the night he was quick to pick up my phone and figure out what I had that he didn't!

We thought that we could make Aberdeen SD before stopping for the night but by 8pm we were still hours away so we pulled into Faith and found a small motel. This had been a very long day ... over 900 kilometers travelled. The wind howled and banged tree limbs against everything all night. At 10 pm the town siren blared and caused us to jump out of bed, looking at each other like "what now"? A tornado siren, a severe weather siren? We never did find out. When the alarm went off at 6 we were scared to look outside. But it was still 4 degrees and just rain. Rapid City which was only 20 - 30 miles southwest of us got a foot of snow, closed down the highway and shut schools and businesses.

Day 15 Faith SD to Morris MB

Rain rain and more rain.

Add to that though a howling north wind! This is our steady attempt to stay ahead of this massive storm! We stopped at Eagle Butte for breakfast and heard that the power was out as far north as Faith (the place we had just left).
We decided to head for the border. At Gettysburg (the place where the war didn't happen) we sought out a coffee place called "The Coffee Bean" in the hopes of finding a good cup of coffee! That is the thing we miss a lot when travelling in the US because they make crappy coffee!

At Aberdeen we stopped for lunch at Perkins and then up highway 11 to Ellendale. At 3pm we had been in the rain for 48 hours! From Ellendale we made the decision to keep going north to catch I94 into Fargo and then north again to Winnipeg ... yahoo Canada! Another 900+ kilometer day.

Finally just as we were crossing the border back into Canada we saw a beautiful sunset once again

The next day we dropped the bikes off at the dealer as they were both due for service and then headed home.

It was a trip I had planned for almost a full year and it did not disappoint. I would go back again in a heartbeat but there are so many places I want to go it will have to wait until i start doing rides over again.

Here are the ride stats

Truck
Distance 5500 km
Moving time 63 hrs
stopped time 16 hrs
moving average 87 kph
overall average spd 70 kph

Bike
Distance 3831 km
Moving time 48 hrs
stopped time 27 hrs
average moving speed 80 kph
average overall speed 51 kph
Max elevation 10639 ft
Min elevation 1428 ft

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 03:12 PM
Old 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Jimbo57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I enjoyed your ride report. What a great ride!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 337
Love, LOVE, LOVE

that ride report however, I have to drop a bombshell....

My wife thinks she and yours may have been separated at birth...

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo57 View Post
I enjoyed your ride report. What a great ride!
Thanks It was a blast! A must experience place. Every turn was like you were riding through another cowboy serial that you watched as a kid.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwokentoof View Post
Love, LOVE, LOVEhe

My wife thinks she and yours may have been separated at birth...

Why, is she of French Canadian background and will love you like no other : but beat you to within inches of your life if you cross her, and she drives a KLR? LOL

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 05:33 AM
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #30
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 49
Great Report!

That was a great ride report! Don't know how I missed it last fall, I spend some time most every night reading through ADV reports, especially when they get close to home. My Sunday morning ride last week was Page to Kanab to Jacobs Lake to Marble Canyon to the Gap and back to Page. The detour to the Gap added about 40 miles versus the old route, and the landslide took out a great section of road to ride.

It's always great to see this area from a new set of eyes. The worst thing about living in Page is that you get kind of callused to the beauty.

And, UT 12 is just a great road isn't it!!!

As for the "No Jumping" sign on Navajo Bridge (at Marble Canyon), check these guys out:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ge+bungee+jump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EwFQOXmL0
(maybe it isn't jumping when they throw you over the side)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92tbaXlVuRY
(Dynamic Rope vs Bungee - didn't know the difference until his morning)
By the way at 59 years old (pretty close to you), I'm way to old for that shit...