User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I'm curious .......
the paralever,.. also because you got experience with off-roading a jacking and a non jacking machine?
How/what is the difference if you compare the 100GS vs boxer of hammers vs Rooney R65?

Still no progress on my MX bike, but got some ideas on the ignition/alternator parts.
Isn't the Power dynamo a heavy thing? (looks heavy)
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo
1150 swingarm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
I'm curious .......
the paralever,.. also because you got experience with off-roading a jacking and a non jacking machine?
How/what is the difference if you compare the 100GS vs boxer of hammers vs Rooney R65?

Still no progress on my MX bike, but got some ideas on the ignition/alternator parts.
Isn't the Power dynamo a heavy thing? (looks heavy)
Questions why the paralever rear:

I think for several: a four lug hub in the rear. the three luggers are becoming rare, and technically I have a spare four lugger plus the one already on the PD.
the 1100 swingarm is the right length already without makng a longer swingarm, longer shaft, and new shock mounts. PLus the Rooney frame is built for it, so I dont believe there is any fitment issues, or wheel offset issues. Saves re-inventing that wheel
The 1150 shaft is basically bulletproof. Not the failure point in that system.

I can probably fit a 130-140 tire on the paralever. CAn barely get by with a 120 on the Boxer, even with the thin tube swingarm.

Between the three airheads I have raced, I would say I dont much care about the difference betewen the jacking and non-jacking. My PD is fine, just short of travel, and by far the heaviest of the three. The Rooney bike had gobs of travel, and jacked, and the BoH had limited travel and jacked. All in all, I find that to be a non-issue. I dont mind or prefer either one.

The powerdynamo iginition isnt very heavy at all.. the outer cup is the meatiest part- and it certainly must weigh less than the stock rotor/stator combo. Additionally, there is no bean can or points, and no diode board. Just those two small solid state components, and then the coil, which is a lot smaller than the stock coil. ALl in all, it has a much smaller profile, I think, than stock. I cant compare it to the EME or enduralast or anything, because I have never held one of those in my hand.

Questions around the dinner table revolved around what to do with the Boxer of Hammers, now that I've this new one in mind. DO I fix the rear mount and try to sell it? The engine is quite fresh, less than a thousand miles on it!
We have a '74 75/6 to make go away, and Ihave that R60 that I've now used the tank from, and the transmission theoretically I could stick the four speed back into either bike.. I would prefer to ditch the four speed though, and keep the five, and speaking of which i am going to need another five speed...

Hoo boy
Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
GESII
Gerry with a G

Oddometer: 105

I want a Rooney Frame. We'll see how he comes back with pricing.
I would like to purchase a Rooney Frame as well....so if it helps (or is even possible) I would interested in one as well..

Rooney frame (white, probably)

with the 1100 swingarm and paralever rear diff.

Ohlins rear shock in center mounted/no linkage R1100GS position.

Front end: something modern, either DRZ, or CRF, or YZ/WR. Actually leaning towards Honda or Yamaha. Something post 2008, but I dont need/want USD's, necessarily.

Jason,

Always enjoy following your build info...as well as your Rally experiences...keep the airhead faith

Gerry
GESII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

Ok- so I've had a chacne to look at this and read the thread- I HAVe seen this video before, and I recall thinking: that guy is good one a bike, but he's big enough to make it look kinda small. That means he's probably seven feet tall. He makes that thing look like an XR100.

guys like me get lost and owned by bikes like this. SO we just hang on and pray, and let the torque get us through.

I dont know how I missed the thread for this long, only that i am an unobservant fool. My regrets.

I dont mind having a drum brake rear. so the offset if I use an R100 rear diff wont be a problem. I suspect I will be using a 17" rear wheel, provided I can find a mousse for it, so the 1100 swingarm shouldt present a shock mount conflict. I think.

Its also evident that this bike is for enduro, specifically. I wonder what would change if he were to make a rallye bike instead. I guess I coudl ask him

Stagehand screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 06:28 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESII View Post
I want a Rooney Frame. We'll see how he comes back with pricing.
I would like to purchase a Rooney Frame as well....so if it helps (or is even possible) I would interested in one as well..

Rooney frame (white, probably)

with the 1100 swingarm and paralever rear diff.

Ohlins rear shock in center mounted/no linkage R1100GS position.

Front end: something modern, either DRZ, or CRF, or YZ/WR. Actually leaning towards Honda or Yamaha. Something post 2008, but I dont need/want USD's, necessarily.

Jason,

Always enjoy following your build info...as well as your Rally experiences...keep the airhead faith

Gerry
Thanks Gerry! He said he was pulling enough parts together to make 3 frames, after some additional development with his test riders this week on the existing one.

Thankfully, this forum is full of people who know what they're doing. I am merely here to provide comic relief

Thanks for checking it out
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Ok- so I've had a chacne to look at this and read the thread- I HAVe seen this video before, and I recall thinking: that guy is good one a bike, but he's big enough to make it look kinda small. That means he's probably seven feet tall.

guys like me get lost and owned by bikes like this. SO we just hang on and pray, and let the torque get us through.
I call BULLSHIT....on this one. I know, I know....I've not really seen you race as I'm always behind you, but you got a big sack my friend. Dreaming about a small ride for Sandblast....but it ain't gonna happen. 41 year old chick racing a 460# bike is out of my trajectory I'm afriad. Anything I can do down here on my end, lemme know. You know I can stop drop and roll in a pile of airhead parts in mere hours. Machine shop, engine shop and blacksmith shop within reach. I still owe you a pair of "shit heads", just haven't gotten to them yet. I'm on it. I most certainly will enjoy watching you move forward racing any airhead. It's fucking rad! No I am not smoking dope, hung out with a 19 year old kid from China last few days. He seems to have affected me
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #22
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Let's see...Jason build's a dedicated airhead rallye race bike. Yep, I'm in.

Woot Woot!!

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #23
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:

Is this something you all could help me with, idea-wise?
R100RS with a 21" front wheel?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I call BULLSHIT....on this one. I know, I know....I've not really seen you race as I'm always behind you, but you got a big sack my friend. Dreaming about a small ride for Sandblast....but it ain't gonna happen. 41 year old chick racing a 460# bike is out of my trajectory I'm afriad. Anything I can do down here on my end, lemme know. You know I can stop drop and roll in a pile of airhead parts in mere hours. Machine shop, engine shop and blacksmith shop within reach. I still owe you a pair of "shit heads", just haven't gotten to them yet. I'm on it. I most certainly will enjoy watching you move forward racing any airhead. It's fucking rad! No I am not smoking dope, hung out with a 19 year old kid from China last few days. He seems to have affected me
Great post
Your got a mind,heart of a 20 year old .
Got me laughing
Thks
Good luck with it Jason.
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,337
Quote:
...I like keeping the guys up front honest. ...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,036
+1

it's great seeing what a box'r of hammers can do

Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
I'm curious about the Rooney frames. I'd imagine there is a big difference in flex/stiffness over your PD or B'o'H? Is there a weight savings?

I'd love to see some pics of just the frame or engine in frame to see how it's mounted clearly.

I'm still planning on making a trail bike out of my /5 sometime. Been collecting parts and I'm about done working on the jig design for my swing arm project so I can make this:

Just need to find a shop to help machine the jig. I'm hoping to have the swing arm bolted on by spring.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,451
Go for a chain conversion. heaps more options for travel & weight savings
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I'm curious about the Rooney frames. I'd imagine there is a big difference in flex/stiffness over your PD or B'o'H? Is there a weight savings?

I'd love to see some pics of just the frame or engine in frame to see how it's mounted clearly.

I'm still planning on making a trail bike out of my /5 sometime. Been collecting parts and I'm about done working on the jig design for my swing arm project so I can make this:

Just need to find a shop to help machine the jig. I'm hoping to have the swing arm bolted on by spring.
I guess I imagine there to be at least the same stiffness, if not more. I imagine it to be about as rigid a section as you could get between the steering neck and swingarm. I cant speak for weight. I can only guess its close, or lighter. Paul wouldnt bother building something worse off than where he started.
Main plusses to me are the ability to put on whatever steering neck you like, ahead of time, if you can decide on a fork you want to use. I'm pretty sure Its not a striaght up BMW one.
Then there is the 1100 swingarm is a bolt-on. I dont know if it is with the BMW frame, but I dont believe there are offset issues with this one. HE didnt mention to me about offsetting the wheel, so I guess he using a paralever drum diff.
The air intake is Super high! I love it!
He did mention that engine access was really nice for working on.. although just now lookign at it it looks like the transmission might be a little hard to swap out.

I like your swingarm. WHat do you think the shock mounts will look like?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Go for a chain conversion. heaps more options for travel & weight savings
options, kinda! weight savings? Not from the ones I've seen