User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
bouldergeek OP
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Argentina quickie

Now that I got your attention, I am looking for advice on Middle to Eastern Argentina. Only have a few days, and we have decided that Buenos Aires and back to Mendoza,then Santiago, is a bit too much 2-up butt time for what we have remaining. Plus, two days of big rainstorms coming in.

Has anyone gone from Cordoba south to Rio Quarto? Looking at doing that, then back to San Luis and back to Mendoza via RN 7.

Anyone have input on whether LA Cumbrecita is worth the side trip?

We had an exquisite ride on the super twisties from Villa Dolores to Cordoba. Or, it would have been without 60 MPH side winds. Saw a dude on a full race prepped, non plated GSXR1000 or perhaps CBR absolutely dragging knee and railing it on these zero compromise curves. I kept looking for the Killboy van.

Other Argentina suggestions without going all the way to BA?

cheers!

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
burningrubberman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
while in San Luis

Hello boulder, great ride up to mirador de condors the large mountain range that backdrops San Luis. Beautiful and twisty. On wasn't on a bike at the time but wishing I had one at the time. I was there paragliding, great flying! The local club flys on the weekend they offer tandem flights if you ever wanted to cheesy it out?
burningrubberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,477
I've ridden Cordoba-Rio Quarto. I liked it. I think I was offered Armadillo just south of Cordoba. Or maybe just north.

Cordoba is just big. Rio Quarto is interesting. I liked it better and had fun there. It's like a normal Midwestern town, except in Argentina, which makes it so much more fun.

I think I met a girl named Giselle in Rio Quarto. Oh My Fucking God.

Have fun!
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
The road over the mountains from Alta Gracia to Mina Clavero is spectacular, then ride the small road south through San Javier down to Villa de Merlo, the turn off is a left off a traffic circle a couple of clicks out of Villa las Rosas. Lot's of quaint old villages and beautiful scenery.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
bouldergeek OP
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
The road over the mountains from Alta Gracia to Mina Clavero is spectacular, then ride the small road south through San Javier down to Villa de Merlo, the turn off is a left off a traffic circle a couple of clicks out of Villa las Rosas. Lot's of quaint old villages and beautiful scenery.
Funny you should mention that. I rode all of those in the last few days. We did two beautiful days in the Von Trapp hospedaje in Los Hornillos, just up from Villa de las Rosas. Crossed those twisty Chico Sierras twice!

Happily back in Lujan de Cuyo. Eastern Argentine weather sucked for riding the last few days. Man, those crosswinds!

These reserve Malbecs and quesos artisinales are kicking my ass and making me smile.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
^yea boy those wines are great and cheap too if you get the 8:1 black market exchange rate, the Saturday market in Villa las Rosas you find some fabulous goat cheese.
There's also a fantastic new little store off the plaza in San Javier which sells goat cheese and some great wines produce right there in San Javier and Yacanto. They also have an amazing assortment of olives and olive oils.

Also for something a little different try the road north out of Mina Clavero to Cruz del Eje (great olives around there too) then head east on hwy 17 which is dirt the first 50kms or so which winds through some pretty countryside. Then head for San Francisco and stay at the Hotel de la Negra, I broke down there in San Francisco my exiter coil failed in the KLR Found a great mechanic and a fellow who fixes stators and exiter coils in his little garage, which was full of ancient Honda CX500's. They had me back on the road in just one day!
That area around San Francisco and Santa Fe is some of the richest agricultural land in the world.

From there it's a hop skip into Uruguay crossing at Concordia. And the hot spring of the Rio Arapey are worth a visit (90kms northeast of Salto) Great campground!
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
bouldergeek OP
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Black market cambio is at 9.8 right now.

US$50K changed properly will buy a whole house, new construction, outright in Vistalba.

Life priorities in re-evaluation mode....

Thanks for all of that great information. Perhaps I will get back over that way again.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
LujanGirl
LujanGirl

Oddometer: 1
Quickie in Argentina

I'll be in Argentina in January. Do you want to meet up for some riding and wine tasting?
LujanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
What part of Argentina are you LUJAN? I am arriving January 29 at Valparaiso and riding to Mendoza on my way down to Tierra del Fuego.

By the way guys, still 2 spots in our container from L.A. to Valparaiso . Leaving December and arriving January 7th

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
bouldergeek OP
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LujanGirl View Post
I'll be in Argentina in January. Do you want to meet up for some riding and wine tasting?
I'd love to. Do you like dogs?

Bring a bathing suit, the pool will be perfect by then.

I know some great bodegas to visit for lunch, and I might even learn to use the wood parrilla, just for you. ;-)

Come on down. BTW, what do you ride?