Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I took a demo ride on some back roads near mooresville NC on roads I know and I did not experience what you describe. I felt the bike was easy to lean in and stay in a turn. I buzzed around where there is almost no traffic and was running between 60-100 mph most of the ride which was about 30 miles. I am 6'6" and 330 pounds so a bike that weighs 500 pounds for me is fairly light. It was interesting to go from my 11 C-14 to the KTM and back. The engine on the 1190 is just awesome, I was in sport mode with traction control off and it will lift the front wheel 1st-4th with relative ease. I found the mapping to be spot on at all speeds and the throttle by wire was fantastic. Honestly I could not imagine a better all around bike for the riding I do.
Does Scott have a demo bike, or was a demo truck there yesterday?

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #32
Espada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
You guys are very lucky in the US, the R here in Colombia is essentially $30k US
True, but you live in a country riddled with beautiful women. It's give, and take, my friend
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #33
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Moto City had one here in AZ this weekend for the 2013 Howlin at the Moon dual sport rally. Beautiful bike!

2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Does Scott have a demo bike, or was a demo truck there yesterday?
Probly got a demo. Last time I was there, he said he was waiting on it and read someone had posted he had one...
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post

This standard 1190 seemed hard to keep down in a curve, it kept wanting to come back up to upright. Hard to describe, but it gets to a certain point when leaning over, then you have to work harder to push it down into a more severe lean angle, kind of unnerving at first.

Has anyone experienced this on demo rides?
The standard 1190 has wide radials on wide wheels. If the tires were a little below normal pressure, this is what you'd feel. When the tires wear in the center it gets worse. This is how the 17" motard wheels/tires feel. I don't like it.

I'd prefer the 21/18 wheels and manual suspension knobs. It would be great to have tubeless tires though.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The standard 1190 has wide radials on wide wheels. If the tires were a little below normal pressure, this is what you'd feel. When the tires wear in the center it gets worse. This is how the 17" motard wheels/tires feel. I don't like it.

I'd prefer the 21/18 wheels and manual suspension knobs. It would be great to have tubeless tires though.
Gotcha! This makes sense, it was a demo so, who knows what pressures they are running and even if they check them...I would really have to ride the R to see if I would buy one for sure.
Thanks for the that explanation.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
ktmwes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
I just ordered one. Delivery February , I too have a concours 1400.. 2011, how are the differences? I sold my triumph speed triple to get this bike.. Wanted an all rounder to do a month trip all over USA and Canada
Thanks
Another C1400 rider here that just put a deposit down for an 1190 and apparently have quite a wait in front of me

14 KTM 1190 Adventure
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
ktmwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Observations from a dirt 990 guy

Rode the standard 1190 Adv for an hour yesterday. FYI: I DID NOT RIDE IT OFF-ROAD. This bike is. Quantum leap for KTM. They will sell many of these as
Long as buyers test ride them. SMOOTH. Did I say smooth? Smooth throttle, clutch, brakes. MUCH improved over the 990. I own a modded 2010 990 BTW.
BUT the ergos for me said "This isn't a dual-sport." I am old, ancient really, almost 58. But I still ride lots of off- road. The pegs were like my old Ducati ST2, too far back and up. I am 6 feet tall. The bars were too far forward and down. Standing on the pegs was useless. The seat was fine but too low. I have 33" inseam.

I put a deposit down on a 1190 Adv R.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #39
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Rode the standard 1190 Adv for an hour yesterday. FYI: I DID NOT RIDE IT OFF-ROAD. This bike is. Quantum leap for KTM. They will sell many of these as
Long as buyers test ride them. SMOOTH. Did I say smooth? Smooth throttle, clutch, brakes. MUCH improved over the 990. I own a modded 2010 990 BTW.
BUT the ergos for me said "This isn't a dual-sport." I am old, ancient really, almost 58. But I still ride lots of off- road. The pegs were like my old Ducati ST2, too far back and up. I am 6 feet tall. The bars were too far forward and down. Standing on the pegs was useless. The seat was fine but too low. I have 33" inseam.

I put a deposit down on a 1190 Adv R.

Ted
PM sent
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #40
mantan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
I also got to test ride both the std. and the R at the demo. Its a fantastic bike. Looking to replace my 06 1200GSAdv.

I noticed significant heat around the seat on the R but the std. was fine. Maybe the one piece R seat pan is closer to the engine and has less padding?

The other thing I noticed is that difference in seat height between the std. and R is not much. The R felt almost exactly the same height as my GSAdv which has a Sargent low seat.

My only minor nit is the turn signal switch. It has almost no play side-ways or for the push to cancel. Feels awkward but I am sure not a real problem.

Handling and performance is really good on the street. I am interested in the std. model as I also use it for commuting and have an RXV550 for off-road. In some ways, the 1190 reminded me of the RXV!
mantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I rode both at the demo in Mountain View, California (or is that dealership really in Sunnyvale?). Anyway, it was sunny and 70F and I noticed no abnormal heat, and found the instrumentation to be very readable. I did think the R and Std versions felt different in ways I would not have expected, so decided it was just bike-to-bike variation or setup. For me, the R seat seemed higher but seat to bar and peg distance seemed the same, bars were a reach on both bikes when standing. For a modern fuel-injected bike I thought fueling was excellent. I tried all modes. Rain is amazingly powerful (to me) and Street and Sport are off the charts. I rode the same route on each bike, and the R seemed a little plusher on than the Std on standard suspension mode, and the R also seemed to hold a line slightly better on the 270 degree onramps (picking nits here, both steered very nicely). Windscreen of the R set high and the std set low seemed about the same as far as coverage and buffeting.

This dealer has a standard demo unit .... it got damaged in shipping so I don't think they'll be offering rides till the parts come in a few weeks. The salesman said more revenue units would be here in Dec or Jan. Low pressure event and no problem taking multiple rides - thanks KTM!

Oh, the turn signal switch. It's gotten some flack in a few magazine articles, and it feels unlike any I've used. Short travel and hence not much tactile feedback. Several other riders in our test groups seemed to have trouble judging by the various erratic blinks I saw. I thought it was fine and had no problems, but I did have to glance at the indicator on the dash to confirm it was on. I'm sure I could get used to it very quickly. But that was probably the worst feature of the whole bike :)

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
I'm a bit puzzled by some of the comments in this thread. Having ridden both bikes, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different. The R is a taller bike, and the handlebars are farther away from the seat. Both bikes are uncommonly smooth. I don't think I have ever ridden a bike with a smoother transmission. Fuel delivery is smooth at both low speed and top end.

Regarding the subject of this thread. My dealer seems to think he will get the first batch of 1190's before the end of November.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Scott has a demo bike
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,339
When I picked up oil and filter on Saturday morning 3 Brothers Racing as a 1190 standard demo. The standard has the 19/177 wheel set like I had on my 1150 Adventure. I didn't have time for a test ride, but must admit I'm not real interested either having just begun my sipping of the Kool-aid that is orange. The R on the Touratech Facebook page looks like Skeletor.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #45
JoeShoreline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Must have

I put a deposit on an R model yesterday. Our local dealer is a life long friend and he states that they wont know about availability or pricing until the Dealer show in N.Y. in late Dec. or Jan.

I recently got a 690Enduro and if that 1190 is of the same or better caliber machine than look out.

All the tests I have read seem to conclude that this will be the best off road Adventure bike ever produced. We'll see!
JoeShoreline is offline   Reply With Quote