User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #211
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Heh heh, I hadn't thought about that for my second chance. You still fancy driving the Landy around the Andes? You're even more stupid than me ... I don't have a choice.
You know me mate, i'll drive your 78 defender if it means going to SA or not

Must be time to start talking about selling a couple of support packages for safari 14 too eh

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #212
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
You know me mate, i'll drive your 78 defender if it means going to SA or not

Must be time to start talking about selling a couple of support packages for safari 14 too eh
Well, line up all the Kiwis coming over and I'll look at putting together a support package.
Otherwise I might have to look at getting the Elefant going, as I hear a rumour that the classic bike class might change from "pre-'85" to "pre-'90".
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #213
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,780
Quote:
Well, line up all the Kiwis coming over and I'll look at putting together a support package.
Otherwise I might have to look at getting the Elefant going, as I hear a rumour that the classic bike class might change from "pre-'85" to "pre-'90".
Sweet! Hey i wonderif Pauls bike didnt qualify because of the front end?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #214
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Best bet for buying a Tee Shirt is to send me a PM with the size you want, contact phone number, real name and email address. I'll then either email you a Paypal request for payment or, for locals, I'll ring you and we can arrange a delivery/pickup and cash.
I tested the Paypal option on my sister, and she said it was eezy peazy to set up to make the payment.
The first "upgraded" Tee shirt has landed in NZ.

Of course it was bought by a non-ADVRider. In fact a non-rider. In fact one of my sisters. If only I had 200 siblings the fund-raising would actually work as a fund raising rather than fund sinking.

Anyone over that side of the Tasman need polishing rags to wipe the mud off their gum-boots? The Tee shirts are a nice mud colour so you don't have to wash them between gum-boot cleaning days. Anyone?

Ben (topo), your's will be on it's way very shortly.
Stagehand, your's is almost on it's way too. EDIT: Got mailed at lunchtime today

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R

JayBo1 screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 03:36 AM
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #215
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My sense of humour is coming back:

The CPW / Motorex stand at the Perth Scooter and Motorcycle Show:

The "Chinese Laundry" end. It is also known as the "Gimp Racing" end. It was quite funny when Rob Pollard (left arm in a sling awaiting surgery after a crash last weekend), Warren Strange (nothing visible but getting shocked looks from people checking out his X-ray piccies on his phone) and myself (with foot in a moonboot and hand in a splint) were all gathered together around Warren's Aprillia and my KTM Rally. One passerby commented "that's not a good look ... come on kids, keep walking ... quickly".

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #216
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was an amazing, and somewhat humbling, weekend at the Perth Motorcycle Show. I met some really cool people with some amazing stories. I was also a bit blown away by people wanting to make, and actually making, cash donations to my Dakar campaign, leaving me with more Tee Shirts to sell.

A huge thank-you to Don at CPW for offering me the space under the CPW / Motorex tent to tell my story to countless people and sell a few shirts .

There are only a few of the very limited edition "upgrade" Tee Shirts left, with the next batch to be printed with "2015" instead of the crossed out "4" in "2014" and the diagonal "5" appended by hand in fabric puff paint. Better get in quick. PM your details and size required and I'll get a postage quote and Paypal will request a payment. It's too easy! (BTW, the shirts are basically a $25 shirt and a $25 donation. I could have got the shirts printed from India and sold them for $30 and made more money ... but maybe lost some friends).

I also came away with a few ideas for further fundraising and a couple of "special" items that will pop up one day.

Anyway, I got some X-rays done the other day ready for my appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. My new hand "bling":
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #217
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,176
I'll have an XL please, good luck with 2015 Dakar.
I hope to join a service crew for 2015...
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #218
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568

Just saw this in the middle of nowhere so i thought I'd post a pic up of happier times
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #219
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,762
Awesome!!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #220
GSDane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 340
Hey John... how is the bling recovery coming along + the foot - back on the bike yet?

Quote:
Anyway, I got some X-rays done the other day ready for my appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. My new hand "bling":
Would love to promote your Dakar in Denmark by wearing a mud-brown tshirt... Pm sent!

Cheers, Dorthe.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #221
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's DAKAR time - bitter sweet

Hi Kiwi ADVRiders, and everyone else too.
I've been kind of "off planet" for a while, distracted by other priorities, but now it's time to get back to focus on the dream - even if it's being played out by a bunch of people without me.

Thanks everyone that has supported me thus far. Almost all the "upgraded" Tee shirts are gone so I'll be placing an order for another batch very soon.

I'll be visiting NZ in March. I hope to spend a couple of days in Auckland to present my sponsorship proposal to a few corporates and then I'll be heading to Whangarei to drum up support from my "hometown". I'll also be competing in the "BDO Tour of Northland", a 4 day cycle race from Whangarei/Dargaville/Opononi/Russel/Whangarei starting on March 20th and finishing on 24th. I'll be riding with the "MyBike" team with support from the Whangarei MyBike shop. This will be great a great target for my injury and fitness recovery.

I will follow that up with being entered in the "5-Dams Challenge" back in Perth just 2 weeks later. This involves riding 238kms in the day riding several big hill-climbs (2,500m of ascents) to visit 5 of the water supply dams in the escarpment range East of Perth. So by the middle of April my core fitness will be great and ready to see winter through with minimum fitness recovery required come Dakar time.

During breaks in tracking the Dakar 2014 I'll post up some details of my injury recovery to date - including this update of the hand photo that might surprise some!

The plate was broken, we know that from earlier X-Rays showing it had cracked, but the broken section has separated significantly. The bone healing is progressing well though, so things aren't too bad. More surgery is likely, but tentatively scheduled for mid to late April - after the cycle races but as early as possible after to maximise recovery time for Dakar 2015.

On the bike front, I have received all the rear brake components that "abandoned ship" during the Safari so hopefully will soon have the bike up and running again. I have also picked up my brand new factory finished 450 Rally engine (was bought for Ben Grabham but not used). This will get put in the bike and run in shortly before the bike goes to France for the ASO ship to wherever (I assume South America, but hard to be any more specific than that for a few weeks). My existing engine will get used for some training rides during winter and then get crated as my spare engine for the Dakar. Most of my training will get done on the 530EXC in Rally trim though.

Anyway, enough words for now. I'll get some photo's going again shortly.
Cheers again for your support everyone - I am continually humbled by some of the gestures and support I have received. Someone last week gave me an envelope with cash to pay for $270 worth of stuff (including a bunch of my fundraising Tee shirts). They said to keep the change as that is to help with my Dakar campaign. The envelope contained $1000! They want nothing in return. Truly humbled.

Catch ya soon.
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R