Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Has anyone ever used this company in Quito?

Has anyone ever used this company in Quito Ecuador and can you vouch for them being legit?

http://www.motorides.ec

Freedom bike rentals who seems to be the biggest operation doesn't have the moto I was hoping to rent so I've started looking at other renal companies.
ABChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,211
Used Freedom and really liked them. Downsize your bike....big bikes are overkill there.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel View Post
Used Freedom and really liked them. Downsize your bike....big bikes are overkill there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Freedom only has a V-Storm with street tires or a 1150 GSA. I'm riding so I don't need a huge bike, just something comfortable and that also handle some dirt roads.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 710
ABChaos,

Like Whizzerwheel, I used Ecuador Freedom in June of this year. I found them to be top quality outfitters, by far the most organized company I've used in Latin America. From tools, spares, and a pre-programmed local cell phone, they make certain you are prepared before you leave their shop.

If prices seem high, consider the 100%+ import duty Ecuadorian businesses pay on the bikes! You really can't go wrong in dealing woth Court Rand and his team at Ecuador Freedom.

My Ecuador ride report is in progress here in case you'd like to see my rental experience. Regardless, you'll love Ecuador!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891984

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
ABChaos,

Like Whizzerwheel, I used Ecuador Freedom in June of this year. I found them to be top quality outfitters, by far the most organized company I've used in Latin America. From tools, spares, and a pre-programmed local cell phone, they make certain you are prepared before you leave their shop.

If prices seem high, consider the 100%+ import duty Ecuadorian businesses pay on the bikes! You really can't go wrong in dealing woth Court Rand and his team at Ecuador Freedom.

My Ecuador ride report is in progress here in case you'd like to see my rental experience. Regardless, you'll love Ecuador!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891984

Cheers,

Hey pool man and thank you very much for your reply. I don't think their prices are high. They just have limited availability fort he dates I'll be there. My options are a 1150gsa or v-strom which has street tires on it. My concern is that I currently drive a BMW Dakar and neither of the he availability bikes will work well for me. The v-strom due to tires and 1150 because it's a darn big bike.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Brian
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Hi- we are very happy to put TKC80 tires on a V-Strom for you - just ask!

We agree - big bikes are overkill here and very expensive. Please let us know how we can accomodate you...

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABChaos View Post
Hey pool man and thank you very much for your reply. I don't think their prices are high. They just have limited availability fort he dates I'll be there. My options are a 1150gsa or v-strom which has street tires on it. My concern is that I currently drive a BMW Dakar and neither of the he availability bikes will work well for me. The v-strom due to tires and 1150 because it's a darn big bike.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Brian
ABChaos,

I understand your concern, I was hoping to rent a little 250cc machine for a more dirt-biased ride, but went with a KLR650 due to availability. The bike turned out to be fine (as long as I was moving, strategy was involved in planting a foot). In all honesty, we covered more than 1K km of dirt and beach riding without a single bike "nap".

I've personally seen the 1150GS in the shop, and it's too much bike(for me) for the riding we did in Ecuador. Same with the V-Strom. Court and Sylvin guide tours on those bikes, but I don't have the big bike skills to say I'd enjoy doing it.

If I was in your position, I'd ask Ecuador Freedom if they could recommend another outfitter, or arrange a sub-rental. They are in it for the long haul, and I would trust their advice. They are reliable and well-connected in the region.

Feel free to PM if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtRand View Post
Hi- we are very happy to put TKC80 tires on a V-Strom for you - just ask!

We agree - big bikes are overkill here and very expensive. Please let us know how we can accomodate you...
FWIW I rented one of their V-Stroms with TKC a couple of months back because nothing else was available either.

Did a nice route Court suggested with plenty of dirt roads. No "off road, per-say"... just your normal Latin-American-when-the-pavement-ends" types of roads.

Yes, the V-Strom might not be the best bike for the job as her suspension bottoms up easily, but I still enjoyed my ride very much and I would not hesitate to rent the same bike again if that's all they had.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

thanks

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
As I'm currently looking at Colombia,Ecuador & Nicaragua for a fly & rent MC trip -has anyone reading this been to all of these places? Comparisons?
Nica is about 1/2 the size of the two SA countries and flight tickets close to same but cost less for MC & lodging I think. Also, I can opt to ride all the way to Nica if I choose vs. rental for SA on my time schedule & budget.
Whizzerwheel-did yo do any pics for replay?
OP are you going solo? approx dates? how many days you thinking?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
As I'm currently looking at Colombia,Ecuador & Nicaragua for a fly & rent MC trip -has anyone reading this been to all of these places? Comparisons?
Nica is about 1/2 the size of the two SA countries and flight tickets close to same but cost less for MC & lodging I think. Also, I can opt to ride all the way to Nica if I choose vs. rental for SA on my time schedule & budget.
Whizzerwheel-did yo do any pics for replay?
OP are you going solo? approx dates? how many days you thinking?
Nicaragua is a nice place, we only go to Ecuador today....BUT I sure can recommend Colombia for motorbike riding. Once you get out of the cities it is absolutely tremendous....look for our thread 'tuckers to tdf' in ride reports.

Depends on the vibe you are looking for. The mountains in Colombia are VAST...it's the Andes the longest mountain range in the World.
There are some nice beach areas too. I don't think you can beat $10 rooms and $3 food. Gas in the south towards Ecuador is $3 a gallon today.

Gas is $4+ in Nicaragua, and northern Colombia.

We are in Ipiales, Colombia right now and I have never seen so many used motorcycles for sale! One block off the Pan Am (main street) there is a ton of used bikes for sale. I'll bet you could easily buy a bike and have a blast and then sell it back. SOAT insurance cost us only $15 for a month. I am told this also covers accident medical.
You could toodle up and down the Pan Am over the Colombian Andes stopping at $10 hotels and eating $3 food for a few weeks. All you need is a 150cc motorbike and a small bag of clothes. You could also ride in to Ecuador if your bike paperwork allows it.

Nicaragua is inexpensive though, less mountain more beach.
Depends.....if you want to ride or sit or be a tourist.

If you want to RIDE Colombia is the ticket.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
We're looking forward to seeing the Tuckers here - though it looks like they are running a little later than planned as I track them with their SPOT.

Their summary of Nica and Col. are pretty accurate. Colombia is a great place to ride. Ecuador is excellent.

We are sure they will see more diversity of terrain, climate and culture here in Ecuador. Less traffic than Colombia and the will see that you won't have to ride as far to see drastic changes as they ride through here. In a few hours you can ride through deserts, jungle and Pacific beaches. You need to be ready with layers of clothing that you can add and remove through the day as the climate changes frequently.

Ecuador is known as a "megadiverse" country - one of the most diverse regions in the world - not only for the biodiversity and diversity of terrain but the many cultures and cuisines that vary with the land. In Ecuador there are several unique Indigenous Andes tribes, various Amazonian tribes, and a huge variety of people living here in many different ways from the modern cities to subsistence farmers who still farm the same way they did 300 years ago.

Ecuador is often called "South America in Miniature" because it contains about every climate, terrain and culture that you would find in an entire continent.

Gas is $2/gallon here ($1.48 for regular unleaded) and you can easily find $2 meals and $8 hotes if you want.

Here is an Introduction to Ecuador:

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
My apology in diverting from Ecuador/Quito rentals but is related in that many of us are making that decision to go to one or both to ride. Past discussions here about buying a used MC in Colombia (ala Mike @ Motolombia) to ride & sell back have suggested that it's a bit more difficult than just throwing the money into a little bike along the road. I don't recall the specifics but has some more considerations than simple money transaction?
I ready to hear more on that one.
If I ride Ecuador it will be a 200cc rental from the above dealer.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
chromeless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I've just left Ecuador on my vstrom 1000, the 650 will be fine on all but the most out there dirt roads, IMHO. Quilitoa loop, Chumborazo, Salinas, no problemo.
chromeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,211
Sorry...didn't see this till now. Here's our ride report which is long, unfinished, and full of non ride commentary, but we are having a great time writing it. Maybe it will help, maybe not.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ntaining+rigid
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote