ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #31
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Hey Motojero,

Nah, all good advice, even for your current lack of a PC...

I did, in fact, check what was on the SD card I'm using now (for North America), and it was a mapsupp.img (or whatever) file -- meaning, it has the same name. I thought, "Oh, why don't I just swap them out and see if the GPS recognizes the new maps," but then I realized that I'm not in Mexico right now, so there wouldn't be any way to really "test" the swap, right?

Although now that I think about it, maybe I could ask it to find a location somewhere in Mexico, and if it returns a list of possible choices (for city name, street name, hotel name, or whatever), then that *should* mean that it's reading the new file correctly, even though it probably couldn't create a route to it, 'cuz it wouldn't "know" where it was right now here in the States. I'll play around with it.

But the point is, it was helpful to know that all I needed was that .img file. Thanks for taking the time to clarify!
Happy to help. And your test idea should give you a glimpse of what's loaded on your GPS.

Most importantly - enjoy Mexico!
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
OK, so I swapped out the .img files on the SD card (making darned sure to protect the existing, US-wide file against accidental overwrite) and checked it out. And in fact, with the Mexico .img file on there, the GPS does recognize locations and offer POI's from that country.

When I tried some auto-routing (e.g., from Zacatecas to a particular point in Puerto Vallarta), the results were a little weird: some segments were turn-by-turn, whereas others were literally just straight lines from point-to-point, drawn with no regard for the actual roads. I don't think I'll worry about that too much just yet, since it seems that the map itself was present, so at least I'll "know where I am". The thing that's a bit clunky is that if the .img files have to have the same name, then I'll need to carry two SD cards and swap them out once I approach the border, 'cuz my unit (Garmin C320) doesn't appear to offer a utility through which to select a particular map.

Although now that I think about THAT, I could easily test it by renaming one of the files, and seeing if I can find a screen where I can choose between them...

Thanks again for weighing in!
www.followthechief.com
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

OK, in case anyone was following this one, I was unsuccessful in convincing the GPS (a Garmin 320c) to allow me to select from among more than one map file.

Both the existing US file, and the Mexico file I downloaded from the website Seppo mentioned (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) are named gmapsupp.img. I renamed them to gmapsuppUS and gmapsuppMX, respectively, placed them both inside the "garmin" directory on the SD card, and fired up the unit. A splash screen appeared and directed me to use the proprietary PC-related map uploader (MapWizard IIRC) before it could continue. I imagine this suggests that the unit's Flash ROM (or whatever) is programmed to look for the file gmapsupp.img, and nothing else, however similarly-named it may be.

This means that I'll have to carry the MX gmapsupp file on a separate SD card, and swap out the cards when I cross the border. Not the end of the world, for sure. And not that I'll be tracking it quite that closely, but I wonder if the unit will know to continue to record travel time and distance as if it were the same trip, even if the data card has been changed. We shall see! ETD December 4.
www.followthechief.com
Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #34
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

If anyone cares, the GPS unit maintained its accounting for both parts of the day which saw me cross the border, meaning it "knew" how far I had traveled in total, even though I changed out the SD cards in mid-trip.

Also, once in MX, it was able to locate addresses and data points, and generate point-to-point directions, with the same imperfect and occasionally infuriating "accuracy".

As imperfect as it was, it was good to have, because I couldn't find a map in a scale that would have been *really* useful, so using both the map and the GPS usually made for positive results.

Note use of the word "usually". As always, YMMV. Be safe and enjoy!
www.followthechief.com
Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #35
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Hey Chief, you are right that it looks for certain map images like gmapsupp.img, but it is possible that other names are compatible, even a gmapsup1.img. You might play around with this for future use and see if you can get more than one map and it recognize both? I would make sure you are upgraded to the latest firmware for your GPS too. I think gmapsupp & gmapsup1 are used to read maps from an SD card.

These names work on some other GPS's (gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img, gmapsupp.img, gmapsup1.img, gmapoem.img)

I found this thread that might help you - http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=301968
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

BlueLightning,

Hey, good heads-up on the naming conventions and the link. I hadn't thought to experiment with any names other than whatever it was that I had tried, but now I will!
www.followthechief.com