Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I live near Kaufman,Tx.
PM me if you haven't changed them yet.
Bring your wheels out and we'll change them.
I'll give you a hand.....Al

I use the cheap hand "Goop" and make sure you goop about 1" of the inside of the tire rim.

rusty44 screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 08:12 AM
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
I've changed a few tires recently, removed Metzler Marathons and installed Spitfires on my R100/7, removed Pirelli Scorpions and installed TKC-80's on my F800GS, removed Anakee2's and installed TKC-80s on friends F800GS. Then I had to replace a punctured inner tube in the front of my F800GS.

I've been using cut up sections of plastic milk cartons for rim protectors and they work great, best part is that I can make wide ones and skinny ones, all sorts of different shapes, I keep 6-7 around and randomly misplace them while changing tires and it doesn't matter because I have a lot of them, They are really thin and seem to self lubricate a bit.

Having a friend to help makes changing tires a lot easier, especially when putting valve stems through the rim, this was always the worst part of changing tires for me. Having somebody to hold the tire open while I put the valve stem in place makes this easy.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
Not sure if the OP was talking about snowflakes or spoked wheels. When I moved from non airhead spoked wheels to snowflakes I couldn't believe how much harder it was to change tires. I've been there breaking the beads on snowflakes and had to use colossal force to do it. Always makes me question the perceived wisdom on the other common tire thread topic.

According to the theory when using tubeless tires without tubes on snowflake rims the profile doesn't retain the bead once the air is let out and the tire beads will fall relatively easily into the wheel well - ergo they are unsafe.

I think not.
That's the story I get about Lester's. Guess who's got a set of Lesters on his Airhead?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
get one of those, always a pita holding the valve stem in place or even fishing it through the rim. Sturdy that one will even let you install valves on tubeless rims, did one last week end.

I should go do a car tire,I popped the bead on two last weekend the same way to fix leaky beads but I'd like to relearn the fine arts of "patching". I was good at that in my youth, old tire jockey. Not practising that on a good bike tire.
I want one! Where's did you get that?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I want one! Where's did you get that?

Here ya go:

http://www.bikebandit.com/kastar-val...m-fishing-tool

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #36
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Holy crap....$25.00.

In Canada...there for $1.99:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/R...Tool/2020125.p

Yes for that price I was a bit weary installing a valve with it, break that and probably a fist in the mouth. Worked and again and again...!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Holy crap....$25.00.

In Canada...there for $1.99:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/R...Tool/2020125.p

Yes for that price I was a bit weary installing a valve with it, break that and probably a fist in the mouth. Worked and again and again...!
$3.50 at Pep Boys. Never shop there, but what the hell.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 146
Does anyone else feel "safer" just putting a tube in a tubeless rim? I've been having issues with my Y-spoke front wheel needing air once a week or so due to a small bent spot on one side that was blowing tiny soap bubbles. I finally gave in and got a tube installed for some extra peace of mind. I'm not springing $700+ for a new rim!
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaystheBMW View Post
Does anyone else feel "safer" just putting a tube in a tubeless rim? I've been having issues with my Y-spoke front wheel needing air once a week or so due to a small bent spot on one side that was blowing tiny soap bubbles. I finally gave in and got a tube installed for some extra peace of mind. I'm not springing $700+ for a new rim!

I do. Tubes are pretty inexpensive and give another layer of protection. Of course, I have Lesters. Not a good idea to run these w/o tubes.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #40
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

The tube only makes it safer if there is something wrong, but if I couldn't get a good seal I would put in a tube.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
You know, I'm really cheap and I've tried various homespun ways of protecting the rims, but the Rim-savers you buy are pretty cheap, and work so much better. Any other way I've tried, you're already struggling to lever the tire, and then you're struggling to keep your home spun protector in the spot where it is needed, and it just sucks. The boughten ones are money well spent, and not even much of it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

I will most likely buy some rim protectors, when I need to get to some order amount to get free shipping, for right now my homespun milk jug rim protectors work real well. Best part about mine are that I can make new ones quite easily, often from stuff found on the side of the road.