ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #3451
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Even with tracking enabled, you can't find it without another GPS device to verify your position.
LOL, well I about never leave home without a GPS and just about any Android or iPhone has GPS built in these days.

I remember a thread a couple years ago where a guy lost his Spot on the Dalton highway. He wasn't sure where he lost it, so when he got home he tracked it and found the location and posted on ADV. A few months later, someone found it and it happened to be face down, but still managed to get its signal out until the tracking turned off.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #3452
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
LOL, well I about never leave home without a GPS and just about any Android or iPhone has GPS built in these days.
That
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #3453
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

I remember a thread a couple years ago where a guy lost his Spot on the Dalton highway. He wasn't sure where he lost it, so when he got home he tracked it and found the location and posted on ADV. A few months later, someone found it and it happened to be face down, but still managed to get its signal out until the tracking turned off.
Yep, BTDT, albeit on a smaller geographic scale. I was happy to find it and even happier that it worked so well under poor conditions (face down in deep leaves in a forest).

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3157

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #3454
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
$50 rebate for the Gen3 if purchased between 7/15 - 11/18..

http://common.globalstar.com/doc/gus..._tearsheet.pdf
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #3455
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Can I transfer my Spot Gen 2 service over to my new Gen 3?

Anyone know how to transfer service from a Spot Gen 2 over to the new Spot Gen 3? Just picked one up today and tried to activate but it's trying to get me to purchase an entire new plan. I still have 10 months left on my Gen 2 service and would hate to lose it. Do I have to do it through customer service or what?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #3456
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Anyone know how to transfer service from a Spot Gen 2 over to the new Spot Gen 3? Just picked one up today and tried to activate but it's trying to get me to purchase an entire new plan. I still have 10 months left on my Gen 2 service and would hate to lose it. Do I have to do it through customer service or what?
Yes, you can. I bought a used Spot 2 some time ago and switched service from my Spot 1 to the 2 with one call to Spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #3457
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,257
You can do it online. Go to your account at findmespot.com and go to "activate my device", deactivate the old spot then activate the new one. You will need the ESN number and Authorization number from inside the battery compartment of the new one. If you are just keeping your same services no worries. If you are adding services you can do that there as well.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #3458
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
It will look something like this:

ramz screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 09:08 PM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #3459
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 50
I was able to do it online as well.

I had the tracking service, so it was no cost to do the upgrade to the new SPOT gen3.

Just remember, if you currently have a gen2, you can get a $50 rebate when you buy a gen3.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #3460
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
I bought the replacement unit insurance when I purchased my first SPOT II. For a $30 deductible they send me a new unit when one fails.

If you buy something at REI and it fails, take it back to REI and you get a replacement free or a refund. I assume this policy works for SPOT units.
Yes, REI's policy works for SPOT units. My 2.5 year old SPOT 2 failed last week while my son was on a week long kayak trip--the unit's GPS system failed, could not send any location info...bummer.*

Anyway, Spot would've allowed me to retroactively purchase the replacement service ($18/yr) + the $30 deductible so I could have replaced it for $50...but then I remembered I'd bought the unit from REI.

REI has changed their warranty a bit, used to be lifetime returns, no questions asked. Now, it's 1 year satisfaction (e.g., just don't like it, they'll take it back) but it's still a lifetime warranty for defects. Took the failed SPOT 2 back, received full credit for the original purchase price, and then I bought a new Gen3 unit with the credit. Saved the $50 it would have cost through Spot.

...not to mention the rebate promotion...

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Gen3 is that the tracking service is required; if someone is really trying to scrape for minimal cost the SPOT 2 allows you to save the $50/year by eliminating tracking service.

That said, I've found the tracking service is definitely worthwhile to me. The first year or so I didn't use it and thought it a waste of money. I added it shortly before a big trip to Baja and it was SO worthwhile I'd never go without it--it's the kind of thing you don't value until you've used it, so I can understand why they're making it part of the package now with Gen3.

*Yeah, it was definitely disappointing the unit failed during their trip.
But, it's an electronic device where failures can & will occur. The unit worked
flawlessly for 2.5 years and I was glad to have it and will continue to rely on it
going forward. However, it's never a good idea to have your safety net held
together with a single strand; they had other methods woven into their net
and despite our frustration at not being able to track them they had other
means to call for help. I am thankful they didn't need them (almost did, but
that means it was an a-d-v!)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #3461
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
I fired my Spot up after not using it for just over a year and I don't get a GPS light at all, just the power button flashing green. I have tried powering it up and down several times. I have checked my account and it shows we are paid up and active.
Any ideas ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #3462
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I fired my Spot up after not using it for just over a year and I don't get a GPS light at all, just the power button flashing green. I have tried powering it up and down several times. I have checked my account and it shows we are paid up and active.
Any ideas ?
What model?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #3463
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
What model?
It's the orange generation 2 Spot.

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 01:14 AM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #3464
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Any ideas ?
The unit itself doesn't know if you're paid up or not, so that will not affect if the light blinks. Leave it on and outside in the open for a long time, like half hour to give it plenty of time to get a GPS lock, then check the light. Also, try new batteries.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #3465
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Any ideas ?
What happens when you press the Check-In/OK button?

I believe you won't see a GPS light unless you press one of the message buttons.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote