Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #436
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvfisher View Post
Roger,

Can you tell me if the BMW-AF-XIED with the F800 O2 harness is compatible with the F650GS twin. I assume it is but want to make sure before I order one.

Thanks.
Dave
Yes, I reviewed the parts list on maxbmw. It will be plug and play for you. If you do get one, could you kindly post a few install photos? Start with setting 7 for a while, then S8 for a while, and then S6. Let us know which you prefer.
RB
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #437
dvfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks for the quick reply Roger.
dvfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #438
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a report on the installation of a BMW-AF-XIED from the BMWMOA Oilhead forum. The bike is a 2004R1100S. This is similar to my experience on the R1150. Worth a quick read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
Some of you have no doubt followed Roger's threads on the device he has developed to cure the overly lean fuel programming of oilheads, hexheads, 650/800 twins, etc (and its being developed for more models). The devices are sold by Beemer Boneyard and you can read their comments on the item page on their site.

Today I installed one of Roger AF-XiED devices on the SO's R1100S, an 04 model that she uses as a touring and play bike and which I have farkled to make it more suitable for her touring use with comfort, lighting, now performance, and other items.

If you do any routine service on an oilhead, this is a silly simply install. Just pull the panels, lift the gas tank to the rear and plug it in, the connect 1 ground wire to a battery terminal- pretty hard to get any easier. For the major connections, one locates the oxygen sensor connector under the fuel tank, opens it up, and plug 1 end of Rogers device cable into each end of the plug, then just put it back on the bike. No hacking into factory wiring needed- this is pure plug and play. Gets positive power from the installed oxygen sensor cable hookup and has a negative wire that can go on a battery post- that's it. AFR can be adjusted through a reasonable range with a single screw if one wishes to experiment.

I expect the adaptive features of the Motronic will take a tank or two to fully adapt to the device which I installed with its default setting. Nonethless, I went for about a 50 mile test run after the install for an initial impression and the SO and I are planning a riding day tomorrow so she can comment on her impression- I am telling her none of mine and will wait to hear what she says.

I have ridden and serviced this R1100S for several years so am familiar with its factory behavior, now modified. Probably the best way I can summarize the effect of the AF-XiED is to say that it has widened and smoothed the bikes powerband so that it has become pretty similar to the K1200RS that it sits next to in the garage, the latter with a Rhine West chip to enrich fueling and a slip on, the result of which is the most pleasing wide and linear power band of any BMW I've ridden. Not that the R1100S can match the K brick for total power or torque, but qualitatively, with the AF-XiED in place one is no longer conscious of the R bike's former much narrower powerband which kept telling the rider to stay in a narrow rpm range. Now runs to redline are smooth and encouraged. The bike will pull cleanly all the way in 6th from as low as I've checked it which was 1600 rpm- try that with stock programming. Basically, it pulls clean and fast in any gear from any sane rpm, not something the stock bike will do. My brief test run today took the bike to about 110 (we live in a rural area) and I could identify no negative fueling issues.
If I had a dyno I'm sure it would show both the more linear power curve and a bit more power up top.

I'll have more comments after we get more miles on the bike but one thing I can tell you- its not going to come out- works way too well to debate. At a fraction of the cost of installing other devices like the Power Commander with only a fraction of the work. Planning to put one on my hexhead when I get time.

As you might deduce from my board name, I am no stranger to highly modified fuel injected motors, having owned a variety of such including a turbo'ed Lexus SC300 I use as a street car that makes about 400 rwhp and my former track only RX-7 that made 510 rwhp with its turbo. All of that requires extensive electronics changes- in the old days one had to develop ones own fuel maps from scratch and that took a bunch of dyno time. It was a combo of effort and cost that kept me from addressing the lean programming of the bike sooner- this device cures both issues.

The Af-XiED requires only very modest effort to correct the fundamental overly lean fuel mix of BMW bikes and greatly improves ride-ability. Highly recommended..(more to come also)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #439
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a report from an R1200GS rider who has been running an extended beta test (note that he is riding to full adaptation before his plans for a Dyno run):

"Hey ...
IF I can get enough miles on the bike I may shoot for a dyno run this coming Friday. If not it will probably be mid to latter part of the following week. I've got company coming to stay a few days this coming weekend into the first part of the following week.

I started at setting 7 on the AF-XIED's which was very good and a great improvement over stock then went to 8 after a couple of tanks of gas.
I haven't gotten enough miles yet to try setting 9. Based on what I feel at 8 I believe it will be too rich at 9 but I want to try it anyway just to be sure. The broad torque and power the bike is producing is just fantastic! It is so smooth with gentle throttle applications but yet when you twist it quickly it responds crisply and with such authority! I can even tell the difference in the sound coming out of the stock muffler! It has a deeper growl now, most pleasing to my ears and not too loud at all.

I usually ride solo with my wife on her own bike but we rode double on the GS the other day and put it to the test. It passed with flying colors! It will pull down to as low as 1500 rpm in 6th gear now although I wouldn't recommend it. From 2000-4500 rpm the bike is pure pleasure, almost dare I say, like a well tuned Harley! Yet when you wind her up to 8000 it feels, dare I say again, almost like a sport bike! Talk about the BEST of both worlds, this bike has it. I'm having a harder and harder time thinking of a reason to by a new water cooled GS!

Feel free to share with the forum if you want."
Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #440
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm including this report here too because the R1200GS uses a BMSK, as does the F800. There are several betas out on F800GSs so we should have those added reports soon.
RB

Here is a report from an R1200GS rider who has been running an extended beta test (note that he is riding to full adaptation before his plans for a Dyno run):

"Hey ...
IF I can get enough miles on the bike I may shoot for a dyno run this coming Friday. If not it will probably be mid to latter part of the following week. I've got company coming to stay a few days this coming weekend into the first part of the following week.

I started at setting 7 on the AF-XIED's which was very good and a great improvement over stock then went to 8 after a couple of tanks of gas.
I haven't gotten enough miles yet to try setting 9. Based on what I feel at 8 I believe it will be too rich at 9 but I want to try it anyway just to be sure. The broad torque and power the bike is producing is just fantastic! It is so smooth with gentle throttle applications but yet when you twist it quickly it responds crisply and with such authority! I can even tell the difference in the sound coming out of the stock muffler! It has a deeper growl now, most pleasing to my ears and not too loud at all.

I usually ride solo with my wife on her own bike but we rode double on the GS the other day and put it to the test. It passed with flying colors! It will pull down to as low as 1500 rpm in 6th gear now although I wouldn't recommend it. From 2000-4500 rpm the bike is pure pleasure, almost dare I say, like a well tuned Harley! Yet when you wind her up to 8000 it feels, dare I say again, almost like a sport bike! Talk about the BEST of both worlds, this bike has it. I'm having a harder and harder time thinking of a reason to by a new water cooled GS!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #441
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I'm including this report here too because the R1200GS uses a BMSK, as does the F800. There are several betas out on F800GSs so we should have those added reports soon.
RB

"Hey ...

All symptoms of a correctly fueled bike....
Cheers.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #442
WooHoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Well the XIED is on and has been for a month now. In summary it did what I hoped for and will be staying.

Bike before - 2010 F800gs with Powercommander, QD headers and muffler (straight through, no cat, but with DB killer installed), K&N Filter, 17,000 kms. Ran very well with no off-idle stumble.

Installation was quite easy and took two hours all up. Most of the time was spent removing Powercommander related parts. I would guess the XIED install itself would only be and easy 1/2 hour job.

Based on recommendation I 'set' the XIED dial to 7, which was where it as at anyhow.

Small point on this... I found the adjustment of the XIED not well documented. I would have liked the instruction to have a diagram showing the dial, correlating this to the setting number and the expected real world impact (% fuel added). A small card you could keep with it would be even better. This is minor and is easily overcome by experimentation and online reference.

Bike started fine and I do believe sounded smoother at idle. It was late at night by then so I left it to the next day to ride it.

Riding to work the next day the bike appeared to run smoother. It had never had the off-idle hop due to the Powercommander but it now just felt smoother and was happy to rev cleanly off idle. I did not notice power changes one way or the other. Burble or popping on overrun is almost non-existent now.

I did notice fuel consumption at the computer go up to an average of 4.5 on my commute (from 4.2, the power commander adds fuel after the BMSK-K so it is not reported). Seems the XIED is fooling the ecu to add about 7% more fuel. Range from a tank has gone up about 15-20km's thanks to no more Powercommander. Exact changes could be incidental due to changes in traffic and routes.

Over the past month (~600kms) the bike has continued to run better and better. I am no expert but it just feels good.

I may adjust the dial setting on the XIED some day but '7' appears about right so, then again, maybe not.

I am happy with the outcome and would recommend to anyone.

Thanks.
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #443
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
AF-XIED 02 sensor manipulator?

I have a 2009 R1200RT

Has anyone tried the AF-XIED O2 sensor manipulator? I am installing Lennies cam sprockets and wonder it this would compliment them in any way.
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #444
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,506
Lots of good reviews here, I have yet to see a negative one in fact.

If you have the time, start here, get comfy, grab a snack.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749080

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #445
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
I have a 2009 R1200RT

Has anyone tried the AF-XIED O2 sensor manipulator? I am installing Lennies cam sprockets and wonder it this would compliment them in any way.
I have both the sprockets and AF/XiED on my R1100RS and they work very well. Bike pulls like a freight train from low rpm all the way to 6500-7000rpms. Will probably add the sprockets to my R1200R that has the AF-XiED ready. Awesome combination!!

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #446
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

I'm having a harder and harder time thinking of a reason to by a new water cooled GS!

[/I]

I have to agree with this as when I added the AF-XIED a couple of months ago it transformed my riding experience on my 2004 GSA. It pulls hard and the deeper growl out of the Neptune can is intoxicating. It no longer sounds like an angry platypus with asthma. I am not sure what my milage hit has been or if it is better as I am to busy winding it out on that new found rush of torque.

I plan on adding the sprockets after the first of the year.

I am currently running on setting 7 after running for a couple of k on setting 8. If I can ever stop winding it out I may see what kind of milage I'm getting.

Needless to say I am very happy with this product.

Odin screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 09:20 AM
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #447
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
I added the AF-XIED a couple of months ago and it transformed my riding experience on my 2004 GSA. It pulls hard and the deeper growl out of the Neptune can is intoxicating. It no longer sounds like an angry platypus with asthma. I am not sure what my milage hit has been or if it is better as I am to busy winding it out on that new found rush of torque.

I plan on adding the sprockets after the first of the year.

I am currently running on setting 7 after running for a couple of k on setting 8. If I can ever stop winding it out I may see what kind of milage I'm getting.

Needless to say I am very happy with this product.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #448
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Mike

Any chance of doing a group buy on this?

What is the current price for the R1200RT?
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #449
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Id also be interested in a group buy.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #450
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
Mike

Any chance of doing a group buy on this?

What is the current price for the R1200RT?
Hi Guys,
The retail price for the R1200RT is $379.95. We have pretty slim margins on these so we can't do a group buy discount unfortunately. We do offer an ADV Rider discount. See details here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430288
Hope that helps,
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote