Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #61
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
What are the long term consequences to the life of the cat converter, when running a richer mixture? Does it simply become less efficient, or can it possibly get plugged up?

Jeff
The CAT can be plugged up over time, and loose efficiency. I suppose at some point it can propose a serous restriction of air. I cannot speak of at what Lambda that takes place, but it is a fairly well know issue if you run them too rich.

(PS) I dont think that the little enriching that is going on here, with this little box,is enough to plug the cat. If I had to guess , I would think, you would need to be down in the 12-13 AFR, but that is just a guess. Perhaps someone with better knowledge regarding CAT's can chime in here.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 07:06 AM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #62
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The CAT can be plugged up over time, and loose efficiency. I suppose at some point it can propose a serous restriction of air. I cannot speak of at what Lambda that takes place, but it is a fairly well know issue if you run them too rich.
Kinda suspected that was the case. A set of catless headers would probably be a good idea, if one were running a a rich mixture.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #63
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Interesting question Jeff. If under normal riding conditions we are in closed loop half the time then we are in open loop half the time. Could be more or less, on road/off road, I don't know.

The point is that even in closed loop the A/F R swings from less than 14.7 to greater than 14.7, by a good amount. The O2 is a switch, high or low, it does not maintain steady.

The Techlusion adds fuel, been around a long time, The PC does not require a CAT removal either.

While I believe it is possible to "plug a CAT", are we seeing a lot of that over the last 30 years? They are a lot more robust than we give them credit for, they have to survive other conditions as well, oil burning, valve issues, Grandma stomping the pedal light to light dumping fuel in, additives we dump in there trying to counteract Ethanol, etc.

Is it possible, yes. Is it something I worry about, no.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #64
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #65
dvfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Roger,

Can you tell me if the BMW-AF-XIED with the F800 O2 harness is compatible with the F650GS twin. I assume it is but want to make sure before I order one.

Thanks.
Dave
dvfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #66
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvfisher View Post
Roger,

Can you tell me if the BMW-AF-XIED with the F800 O2 harness is compatible with the F650GS twin. I assume it is but want to make sure before I order one.

Thanks.
Dave
Yes, I reviewed the parts list on maxbmw. It will be plug and play for you. If you do get one, could you kindly post a few install photos? Start with setting 7 for a while, then S8 for a while, and then S6. Let us know which you prefer.
RB
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #67
dvfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks for the quick reply Roger.
dvfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #68
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm including this report here too because the R1200GS uses a BMSK, as does the F800. There are several betas out on F800GSs so we should have those added reports soon.
RB

Here is a report from an R1200GS rider who has been running an extended beta test (note that he is riding to full adaptation before his plans for a Dyno run):

"Hey ...
IF I can get enough miles on the bike I may shoot for a dyno run this coming Friday. If not it will probably be mid to latter part of the following week. I've got company coming to stay a few days this coming weekend into the first part of the following week.

I started at setting 7 on the AF-XIED's which was very good and a great improvement over stock then went to 8 after a couple of tanks of gas.
I haven't gotten enough miles yet to try setting 9. Based on what I feel at 8 I believe it will be too rich at 9 but I want to try it anyway just to be sure. The broad torque and power the bike is producing is just fantastic! It is so smooth with gentle throttle applications but yet when you twist it quickly it responds crisply and with such authority! I can even tell the difference in the sound coming out of the stock muffler! It has a deeper growl now, most pleasing to my ears and not too loud at all.

I usually ride solo with my wife on her own bike but we rode double on the GS the other day and put it to the test. It passed with flying colors! It will pull down to as low as 1500 rpm in 6th gear now although I wouldn't recommend it. From 2000-4500 rpm the bike is pure pleasure, almost dare I say, like a well tuned Harley! Yet when you wind her up to 8000 it feels, dare I say again, almost like a sport bike! Talk about the BEST of both worlds, this bike has it. I'm having a harder and harder time thinking of a reason to by a new water cooled GS!

Feel free to share with the forum if you want."
Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #69
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I'm including this report here too because the R1200GS uses a BMSK, as does the F800. There are several betas out on F800GSs so we should have those added reports soon.
RB

Here is a report from an R1200GS rider who has been running an extended beta test (note that he is riding to full adaptation before his plans for a Dyno run):

"Hey ...
IF I can get enough miles on the bike I may shoot for a dyno run this coming Friday. If not it will probably be mid to latter part of the following week. I've got company coming to stay a few days this coming weekend into the first part of the following week.

I started at setting 7 on the AF-XIED's which was very good and a great improvement over stock then went to 8 after a couple of tanks of gas.
I haven't gotten enough miles yet to try setting 9. Based on what I feel at 8 I believe it will be too rich at 9 but I want to try it anyway just to be sure. The broad torque and power the bike is producing is just fantastic! It is so smooth with gentle throttle applications but yet when you twist it quickly it responds crisply and with such authority! I can even tell the difference in the sound coming out of the stock muffler! It has a deeper growl now, most pleasing to my ears and not too loud at all.

I usually ride solo with my wife on her own bike but we rode double on the GS the other day and put it to the test. It passed with flying colors! It will pull down to as low as 1500 rpm in 6th gear now although I wouldn't recommend it. From 2000-4500 rpm the bike is pure pleasure, almost dare I say, like a well tuned Harley! Yet when you wind her up to 8000 it feels, dare I say again, almost like a sport bike! Talk about the BEST of both worlds, this bike has it. I'm having a harder and harder time thinking of a reason to by a new water cooled GS!

Feel free to share with the forum if you want."
All symptoms of a correctly fueled bike....
Cheers.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #70
xfmr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Yes, I reviewed the parts list on maxbmw. It will be plug and play for you. If you do get one, could you kindly post a few install photos? Start with setting 7 for a while, then S8 for a while, and then S6. Let us know which you prefer.
RB
I have purchased the BMW-AF-XIED to install on a recently purchased used 2010 F650GS. I can easily see the connector where the device is to be inserted but accessing it seems to be another problem. Can anyone who has installed it kindly provide the best and easiest way to access the connector? Photos would be fantastic!! Many thanks in advance.

Enjoying adsorbing all of the knowledge being shared on this thread and the other related ones. Keep up the good work guys!!

Still running against the wind
xfmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #71
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Well, on my 800 it was behind the voltage regulator. I just undid the 2 screws and that was that. I have no idea if the 6's are the same...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #72
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
On our F798 the connector from the O2 sensor was (and still is) attached to the cross member and about in the centre of the bike just above the swing arm. It was easy to use a flat blade screw driver to pry the locking tab open as it faces forward and then just pull the plug out leaving the bottom plug in situ. Then the new one just plugs in easy peasy.

Mike.C screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 01:41 AM
Mike.C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #73
xfmr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the help guys, got it installed today.

Still running against the wind
xfmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #74
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is the last of 7 posts on dyno testing.

Here is a link to some dyno info on an R1200GS. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post23512119. I'm posting this here because the 7 posts on dyno methodology is relevant to all bmsk controlled bikes.

Here is the before/after performance table from the report. Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #75
sam10000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi,

I got mine last friday and decided to install it right away even though it was veeery late in the evening...luckily the installation took only 15mins or less!

Unfortunately the weather has been very bad here so i have had chance to try it only for about 300km now. But what kind of 300km that has been! I mean this thing does what it promises!!!

I have F800GS with Akrapovits and it just loves the new AFR! I am using setting 7 and i was able to feel the difference very soon after starting to ride it. Biggest difference in early phase is in low-to-midrange (clearly more power) and especially when riding slowly off-road (lot smoother). With more km's i started to notice more power on mid-to-uprange throttle aswell. I suppose the ecu is still adapting as i have ridden so few kilometers...

I am planning to continue with setting 7 for some time and then try setting 8. My question is if having Akrapovits silencer makes a difference...should i expect for example one setting higher to be optimal (compared to stock)?

Already now i can say it is money well spent and i want to recommend it to anyone having F800GS! Big thanks to Roger, Stephen at nightrider and all of You guys who have helped creating this great product!!!

Sam1
sam10000 is offline   Reply With Quote