ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #46
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Seriously. I had the same thing happen I just told the guy my Harley was in the shop and I had to ride th back up. Harley riders understand this and usually feel your pain.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #47
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I'll give you this, you are the cut and paste king...
But I understand.
My reply "It's an easy way and desperate attempt to deflect from the topic at hand and to make oneself appear worldly."
Hey... I typed that! I actually looked it up in the book (on my kindle) and did a little paraphrasing.

I am reading the book to see how the subconscious "gift of fear" might help to improve my road craft while commuting through the abundant hunks of rolling steel I encounter on a daily basis.

The subconscious picks up on many things we don't realize and it should be listened to.

For instance: I was trying to figure out how my Spidy senses would kick in and tell me there was a car (or bicycle) coming down a side street when there were building in the way. After reading the book I realized that my subconscious was simply picking up reflections in the windows of businesses and parked cars that allowed me to effectively see around blind corners.

Now I consciously apply it on my daily rides.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #48
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

For instance: I was trying to figure out how my Spidy senses would kick in and tell me there was a car (or bicycle) coming down a side street when there were building in the way. After reading the book I realized that my subconscious was simply picking up reflections in the windows of businesses and parked cars that allowed me to effectively see around blind corners.

Now I consciously apply it on my daily rides.
You're like Bradley Cooper's character in Limitless, you should start speculating on the stock market.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
J_White
should be working
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: NE Mississippi
Oddometer: 326
I'm surprised he knew it was German...

Twice in the last few years, in friendly conversations with
Harley riders along the way, found out that they thought the
"B" in BMW stood for "British"

One even seemed to want to argue about it, like he didn't
believe me

Wonder how many others think that?
J_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #50
youcanrunnaked
Adventurer
 
youcanrunnaked's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
Oddometer: 32
I have sometimes gotten the "Get a real bike" greeting from Harley fanboys. Ironically enough, they are usually not riding. Sometimes I will ask, "Where is your bike?" I usually get some lame excuse as to why they are not riding, but sometimes they will confess, "I don't have one."
youcanrunnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #51
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_White View Post
I'm surprised he knew it was German...

Twice in the last few years, in friendly conversations with
Harley riders along the way, found out that they thought the
"B" in BMW stood for "British"

One even seemed to want to argue about it, like he didn't
believe me

Wonder how many others think that?
I think often it is the 'build quality' that leads them to believe it may be British... (sarcasm)

Or the fact that Germany doesn't start with a B. 'Bayerische' isn't exactly a word heard every day...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #52
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Gold Wingers and BMW Riders are the worst.

They are just less aggresive because they don't want to get their ass kicked.
Funny, I've never once heard of a redneck driving an F150 with a Honda or BMW sticker in the window saying, "Buy a F'n Honda!" or, "Buy a F'n BMW!"
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #53
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,167
Responses I have used to reply to the "Get a real bike" moron:


Sorry I can't ride that slow.


Dude, I have 12 real bikes.


Nah, I don't really like paved roads all that much.


I like going around corners. Without paddling.


They sound too gay.


I would, but Pirate costumes make my ass look too big.


And my all time favorite, "Fuck off!"
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #54
MotorCade
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanrunnaked View Post
I have sometimes gotten the "Get a real bike" greeting from Harley fanboys. Ironically enough, they are usually not riding. Sometimes I will ask, "Where is your bike?" I usually get some lame excuse as to why they are not riding, but sometimes they will confess, "I don't have one."
love it.

Sort of along the lines of 'your bike sucks!' "so do your shoes!"

MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #55
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,550
"Well Hang in there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanrunnaked View Post
I have sometimes gotten the "Get a real bike" greeting from Harley fanboys. Ironically enough, they are usually not riding. Sometimes I will ask, "Where is your bike?" I usually get some lame excuse as to why they are not riding, but sometimes they will confess, "I don't have one."
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
benzbaron
Adventurer
 
benzbaron's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Belmont Ca
Oddometer: 10
That is nuts. I only had one person ever give me shit on the punky buellster but I think he was just ribbing me.

Gonna check out that book.
benzbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #57
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Someone tries to knock over my bike, or actually does, probably going to be a fight whether I get my ass kicked or not.

Years ago, I catch up to some guys on Harleys and pass them, I'm on a CBR1000. A second later, one of them catches up goes a little past, and swerves at me. I guess trying to intimidate me. He's wearing a cutoff, but no colors, and appears too clean to be a real hard core guy. So I pull up on him, and start getting closer, if some shit goes down, I'm either grabbing his front brake, the dangling throttle cable, or stomping on the rear brake. I'm staring right at him, and he's starting to look kinda nervous. I'm riding with one hand and flip up my visor, and our handlebars are almost touching, and I lean over to look him in the eye, but he won't make eye contact. I reached over and brushed his arm and he jumped and let off. I wouldn't have been the only one to go down if some shit came down.

To this day, I have no idea what he was trying to do.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #58
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider
 
Anonawesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Central OH
Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Responses I have used to reply to the "Get a real bike" moron:


Sorry I can't ride that slow.


Dude, I have 12 real bikes.


Nah, I don't really like paved roads all that much.


I like going around corners. Without paddling.


They sound too gay.


I would, but Pirate costumes make my ass look too big.


And my all time favorite, "Fuck off!"


Using all these. Well, once I get 12 bikes I will.
__________________
'90 DR350S

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
one of the all time special shows
still dream of that fictional lifestyle
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #60
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Someone tries to knock over my bike, or actually does, probably going to be a fight whether I get my ass kicked or not.

Years ago, I catch up to some guys on Harleys and pass them, I'm on a CBR1000. A second later, one of them catches up goes a little past, and swerves at me. I guess trying to intimidate me. He's wearing a cutoff, but no colors, and appears too clean to be a real hard core guy. So I pull up on him, and start getting closer, if some shit goes down, I'm either grabbing his front brake, the dangling throttle cable, or stomping on the rear brake. I'm staring right at him, and he's starting to look kinda nervous. I'm riding with one hand and flip up my visor, and our handlebars are almost touching, and I lean over to look him in the eye, but he won't make eye contact. I reached over and brushed his arm and he jumped and let off. I wouldn't have been the only one to go down if some shit came down.

To this day, I have no idea what he was trying to do.
Should have hit his kill switch.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014