User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
RimBenty OP
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 284
Wednesday 20th
On Wednesday morning we hung around Crested Butte and had some breakfast. Crested Butte is a pretty cool town, right in the mountains with plenty of outdoor activities.

After checking things out we headed out of town on county road 12 then we turned south on 730 towards Gunnison. This is mostly gravel and dirt until you get near 135. It was way better than taking 135 straight down.

We got gas in Gunnison Since there are no gas stations between there and Lake City. Then we went south down gold basin rd on the way to Lake City. We had a problem where the GPS and the actual road didn’t match so we spent some time backtracking and scratching our heads. In the end we found it best to just stick to the main road and use the GPS for reference when that happens. We eventually cut over to 114 to pick up Ricks track to Lake City.

The road to 114

114 to Lake City

In Lake City we stopped at the General Store

Then grabbed a bite to eat at Southern Vittles.

It was still early enough in the day we decided to head towards Silverton and find a camping spot on the way. We took the northern part of the Alpine loop over Engineer Pass.

We also stopped at Animas Fork to check out the buildings and then headed to Hurricane Pass.

On Hurricane Pass John stopped because his bike was noisy and acting funny. Turns out the chain was loose and jumping the teeth on the sprocket. That pretty much ruined his rear sprocket. We tightened the chain and that got us to Silverton.

Note: We did a shakedown run in West Virginia before this trip where the same thing happened to me. I put new sprockets and an RK SXO chain on both mine and my sons bikes. We didn’t need to adjust the chain on the whole trip.

There was still plenty of snow around.

It was late when we got to Silverton and we needed a camping spot, a place to work on Johns bike and a sprocket. On the GPS we found that Silverton had a Hostel too. When we checked with them they had a room with four bunk beds, a spot for us to work on the bike and the owner who was in Durango and said if we could find a sprocket he would pick it up and bring it to us tomorrow. It was like we hit the jackpot.

John made some phone calls but most motorcycle shops were already closed.

In back of the Hostel

There was a rainbow while we were there too

We ran into a couple other guys that were riding in the area on a TW200 and KLR650. Sorry I don’t remember their names and didn’t get any pictures of them. After talking with them we had a late snack at the only place that was still open and then called it a night.

RimBenty screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 12:43 PM
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
RimBenty OP
Bender of Rims

Hey John, Sorry I missed the races but I'm ok with missing the pineapple jalapeño pizza you had.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
RimBenty OP
Bender of Rims

OK guys (You too Rick) I'm trying to get this report finished.

I noticed not many people are viewing the videos so I did some screen captures of them. I may post a short video or two but not as many as I have been.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
RimBenty OP
Bender of Rims

Thursday morning John had to wait for the motorcycle shops to open so he could try and find a sprocket. After calling around he found one in Montrose that was a few teeth smaller than his current sprocket but it was all that was available.

We wanted to ride some of the trails in the area before heading back to Colorado Springs so John told us to ride the trails and he would get the sprocket in Montrose and then catch up with us later in the day. He had the track that we planned to follow on his GPS so we would call or text him later in the day to let him know where we were. I was getting a little anxious because it was already about 10:30 and we had a lot of ground to cover since we were supposed to be back in Colorado Springs tomorrow. We didn’t take very many pictures this day because we were trying to cover a lot of ground. So I did some captures from the video.

Our plan was to take Black Bear Pass to Telluride then Imogene Pass to Ouray. Unfortunately Black Bear Pass was closed for repairs so we ended up taking Ophir Pass to Telluride.

Ophir Pass was pretty cool with great views.

There was still snow on Ophir too

If you look closely you can see Bob out in front of us in this picture. Funny thing is he thought he was behind us. Brandon and I made a wrong turn and Bob passed us before we got back on the trail. It was a few more miles before he stopped to ask someone if they had seen us and we caught up with him.

We stopped in Telluride for a snack before heading to Ouray over Imogene Pass. Telluride seems like a pretty cool town sort of like Crested Butte.

Heading up to Imogene Pass

Apparently there’s still gold in them thar hills!

Brandon airing out the tires

There was still plenty of water on top of the mountains.

Verifying which way we’re headed. My track and the road didn’t match up. My comment was “follow the road, screw the track”.

We ran into several groups of Toyota FJs all around the area. I asked one of the guys in an FJ and he said it was the FJ Summit and there were about 250 or 300 of them in the area. They must have had radios because they always tried coordinating letting us get past when they had room. Thanks guys!

We returned the favor too.

We rode through Ouray to get some gas and then headed down 550, taking Corkscrew Gulch back over to Hurricane Pass and Animas Fork. From Animas Fork we took the southern half of the Alpine loop over Cinnamon Pass back on the way to Lake City.

Heading down 550

We took Corkscrew Gulch heading east back to Hurricane Pass

Working our way over Hurricane Pass headed from east to west

Southern half of the Alpine Loop on the way to Lake City

Riding the switchbacks down the mountain

There were some deep holes on the side of the road

In Lake City we tried calling John but he didn’t answer so I sent him a text telling him where we were and the time hoping he could calculate our schedule and catch up with us on the trail. We were going to be backtracking on Rick’s route going from Lake City back to Sargents. Sorry, I didn’t get anymore pictures or video for the rest of the day

When leaving Lake City there was a thunderstorm right in the direction we were headed so we put on our rain jackets and dove in. Bob had also put his rain pants and I realized after about ten minutes that Brandon and I should have put our pants on too. We were in the rain for about forty five minutes and it was pouring most of the time. There was plenty of thunder too but I only saw one bolt of lightning in the distance. I stopped at a campground to see if there was a shelter where we could wait for the rain to pass but we only found a toilet so we just kept rolling. Heck we were already wet anyway.

About fifteen minutes out of the storm I come around a turn and see this guy lying on a dual sport bike asleep. I stop to talk to him and then realize its John. He had fixed his sprocket and from my text figured out where to wait for us. He stopped just short of the storm to wait. Yeah, he’s no dummy. He had his own ordeal with getting the new sprocket on.

It was around 6pm and we talked about where to camp. We were still about fifteen miles from Hwy 114 and decided to head closer to Colorado Springs before camping so we wouldn’t have to go so far tomorrow. We followed Ricks track all the way back to Hwy 50 and instead of taking the track north around Tomichi Dome we took a right on 50 to Sargents. John and I lost Brandon and Bob on 50 so we pulled over to wait for them. Brandon’s rain cover for his tank bag had blown off Bob saw it and stopped to pick it up. At Sargents we got some gas and then headed to Marshall Pass. About eight miles from Sargents we found a camp site and called it a day. This was the most miles we did in a single day for the trip.

These pictures of our campsite are actually from the next morning.

We hung our stuff up so it would dry.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
RimBenty OP
Bender of Rims

The plan was to be back in Colorado Springs by the end of the day and we were a few miles west of Marshall Pass, about where we ended up after leaving there on Sunday. So after breakfast we packed up everything and headed east.

Marshall Pass is on the continental divide with a big sign stating the fact. We didn’t stop for a picture when we were here earlier so we got it on the way back.

We took the main road instead of the trail this time so we went by O’Haver Lake.

We stopped in Salida for gas and on the way out of town John decided to check his chain. It was a little loose but not to bad, he decided to adjust anyway.

After leaving Salida we were in the San Isabel NF

This guy seemed to be doing fine but the girl didn’t look too happy

We had a run in with some locals

Then we headed across the grassland towards the Front Range. Wide open dirt roads running in sixth gear and trying to find a seventh.

At Hwy 9 we took a right and then went about two miles and took a left. I stopped to make sure everyone made the turn but only John showed up. We waited a little while and Brandon and Bob didn’t show up. We knew they were on Hwy 9 because they made the turn with us, so we went looking for them. They were on the side of the road about a hundred yards from where we turned. Turns out that the countershaft nut on Brandon’s bike had come loose and the front sprocket slipped off the splines. Fortunately the nut was still attached and they were tightening it up when we got there. The good thing is the rear axle and counter shaft nuts are the same size. Do you think Yamaha planned that or is it just a coincidence?

East of Hwy 9 your back into the hills.

I could tell we were getting close to Red Canyon Park because the red sections in the road.

Working our way back through Red Canyon Park

Then it was back up Shelf road to Cripple Creek.

When we got to the end of shelf road we were missing Bob. He had stopped before to take pictures so we waited for him. We asked Brandon who was in front of him and said that he hadn’t seen him for a while. John was getting worried and we decided to give him five more minutes and then one of us would go look for him. Well he showed up and was pretty pissed at us, his bike had quit running and he had trouble getting it started again. I think it was the same problem he had before where the vent on the gas tank clogged up. I’m pretty sure Brandon learned to keep track of the guy behind you after that.

We went through Cripple Creek to get gas and then headed to Victor.

This huge pile of dirt is tailings from the local gold mine. This is only part of them.

Here’s another pile, Nope, not the same pile from the previous picture.

In Victor we stopped for lunch at the same café we ate at earlier in the week. (They have really good sandwiches)

When we were in Victor earlier waiting for the parade the locals told us about the American Eagle overlook where you can look down into the gold mine. So we decided to check it out while we were here. If I remember correctly they also said the mine produces about 3,300 ounces of gold a month. About 5 million dollars at todays rate. John or someone may need to verify that number.

The remains of the blacksmith shop

The hoist with the snowman they light up for Christmas

A huge hole in the ground

John in front of one of the tires for the dump trucks

Yeah, We're lousy at parking

From Victor we took Gold Camp and Old Stage roads back to Colorado Springs. We didn't take anymore pictures or Videos. Nothing exciting happened either. But we did pick up some cold ones for back at camp

RimBenty screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 11:36 AM
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 466
Nicely done RR.
First time I've seen Bob wear a d/s event shirt ever!...and he must have a storage space somewhere full of them.
Looks like good times, thanks for the nice pictures.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Nice

Just discovered this. Excellent RR boys.
This is definitely on my ever growing bucket list.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Nice report!
I don't know how I missed the last part.
Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote