Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
isgila OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Diagnosis of Fault codes

Hi everyone out there

I have a problem with my 2013 F800GS. I just plugged in the GS911 onto my ride. And i got to know that there are 3 fault codes. I cant remember the exact description but it reads something like the following:

1) trip switch intermittent
2) front speed sensor signal implausible (something to do with ABS perhaps)
3) front brake lever when released reads 'invalid state'

I just got my ride back in July 2013 and this happens. Can anyone advise me on what the faults are and what do I need to do next. I will try to attach screenshots of the fault codes the soonest possible. But if anyone out there knows what is going on with my ride, please help me on this.

Thanks in advance ADV Brothers.
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,422
Delete the fault codes, enjoy your bike. Fin.

The reason many self tests on aircraft can only be done by maintenance on the ground is so as not to worry the pilots. Ignorance is bliss. Many bikes come from the factory with codes generated during quality tests. The bike is under warranty and if you weren't a techno geek you would never know. Delete them and check back some other time. Our 658 tells of grip heat shorts yet they work just fine.

Whatever.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
isgila OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm.. I see.. I was just worried about all these codes.. not knowing what they are and what impact they can cause, it might be a sign of trouble.. thought it is better to find out and do something about it than not finding out about it and get into trouble.. can't afford to risk my ride..

Anyway, i appreciate your view in this.. while I agree on something, I may have a different view on others..

Cheers to You Reaver.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 454
As scary as this sounds - I agree with Reaver.

Is the bike working fine? If so, delete them. Check again in a few hundred miles and see if they are there again. Then worry about it.

Mine pops the code for Gear Position Sensor every now and then. Probably because every once in a while I get a blank screen where the gear displays.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Hmmm.. I see.. I was just worried about all these codes.. not knowing what they are and what impact they can cause, it might be a sign of trouble.. thought it is better to find out and do something about it than not finding out about it and get into trouble.. can't afford to risk my ride..

Anyway, i appreciate your view in this.. while I agree on something, I may have a different view on others..

Cheers to You Reaver.
Reaver has worked for BMW (i.e. standing infront of the shop window looking at bikes) he "knows" what he is talking about :o). You can 'trust him"
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Unless you have noticed a specific problem that you are trying to diagnose, do as suggested above. If this was just a curiosity trip into the code memory to see what's there, delete the codes and recheck to see if they reappear. If you've found these codes as part of an attempt to diagnose some issue, then by all means, dig into the cause(s) for them.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,422
Thanks for the compliments.....I think.

I tracked a number of bikes from the crate to a few years old. Often bikes will have nuisance codes and if you check the parameters when the fault was triggered it can say "Engine RPM - 0, Speed 195kmh, engine temp 300 C" etc etc. Nonsense. As it was said, if you're trying to diagnose a fault then take the appropriate codes seriously and the rest under advisement. If you're bored and looking for trouble you'll find it.

When in doubt I'd ask the Customer "Gear position indicator work OK? Fine, just asking."

You did well by getting a GS911 and now you can get acquainted with it at your leisure so you'll be prepared when it gets serious.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
isgila OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Guys for all the advuce and feedback that all of you have come across. Truly appreciate it. I will run the tests again and see if it reappears. For now, I dont have any real issues with my ride yet but still I am hoping to see no fault codes whatsoever. I will monitor these closely.

CHEERS!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,533
from a couple of 'experiences' i've had, that front wheel sensor 'error' pops up from things as simple as getting the front wheel off the ground, or spinning the back wheel... so yeah, nothing to see here...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote