Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent them a follow up e-mail expressing my concerns and dissatisfaction with their reply and this is the response I got..........get ready to put your tin foil caps on. :lol3

Another issue that can come up with instruments used for motor sports is interference from electrical "white noise"; many components on dirt bikes produce this noise (such as the stater, starter, alternator, headlight, etc.). If not properly isolated and insulated, this noise can travel through the handlebars, forks, and frame of the bike, and may be picked up by the three wires attached to the instrument. It can be nearly impossible to find a white noise "leak", so we rather recommend that aluminum foil be tightly wrapped around the wires anywhere they contact a metal bike component, with 2" of overlap on each side. Normally the Dual Sport holds up pretty well against white noise, but a large amount of it, or just unfortunate timing of voltage bursts can get the better of the CPU. I would recommend this approach for your instrument since you were having issues separate from the problem that we knew of. I ran the instrument through all pre-sale tests, and did not find any other issues at all.

Again, sorry for your inconvenience, and we hope that the Dual Sport works reliably with these suggestions.

Thank You
    Ben Horarik
    ICO Racing
    Repair Department

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the cables already internally shielded with foil?
  2. grimmboy

grimmboy Chris Grimm

Oddometer:
    WTFITBS....

Enjoy the weekend, Grimmy
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting setup and even more interesting roadbook holder ... :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice integrated set up!
  5. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    *splashed under my desk on that* :eek1
  6. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
  7. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a sec it looked like an Aurora with the black scheme! I'll give the chief constructor a ring tomorrow, he can debrief me on what it is exactly...

PS: Let's hope those darn new RNS units get on there in the future. I currently have all their units to make them "Dakar ready" with some software mods, damn these guys are picky :nod
  8. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    That is a quick response and a an even quicker insight view. I had plans to go to Milan but with all the work here it waa almost impossible for me... Have some friends taking photos over there to see what's new as well.

:D Me too, I thought, what the heck? When did I send one there? :lol3
    It seems that their racing setup is quite different from the selling version. Coma run a different mounting bracket with his classic MD and full RNS. May be they do not want customers to get the top versions :evil, satelite teams and the lot :D.

I am sure Kisca has done a great job, but the warning lights on the RB cover?
  9. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind that, how the hell do you open that thing? Maybe by sliding the clear part off sideways?
  10. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    From my understanding it has hinges on the top. You open the black part. This black part should have only the top parts of the led lights (the orange plastic, the red plastic etc.) The leds themselves are probably fixed in the base. Then you take off the clear plastic which is the ''cover'' if you like.

Its capacity looks to be extremely small from the distance of the two shafts (similar to MD if I may say) and the transmission seems to be on the right side similar to the F2r. The protection on the right side it a nice addition. Kisca (spelling mistake before....) has done some very clever designs in the past so I would love to see the interior and see how the transmission is designed and thought.

From my understanding, we start to see a different approach in Rally racing. All parts are fixed with the ''no accident'' approach. From loads of photos that I have gathered over the last year and a half, most accidents result in the roadbook cover to be separated from the unit. Now, this may not be separated, but you can face two problems.
    One, is that (if our understanding that there are hinges is correct...) the hinges could be damaged and then you may not be able to open it. The second is that if the cover is separated then, no LEDs are there to help you...

From the pic below, no toggles are available on the tower, at least where they used to be... Even the KTM standard switch is on the handlebars where it used to be under the mounting bracket.

Very different from what we have seen until now, I am puzzled as to why the KTM guys did not run these in Morocco, may be they were not ready yet? May be they want to stick with what they know it works? :ear

More from Tony soon :D

[​IMG]
  11. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the official word is that they hope to put these on their (customer) bikes in the future. It's obviously their own RB model, made together with their inhouse carbon fibre freaks (couldn't get more info). He laughed when I mentioned that nobody knew what exact model it was :D For the time being it's a prototype and they will not run it in Dakar, still sticking to MD until further tests have been done next year post-Dakar (maybe Desert Challenge?).
  12. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    May be it is better to have it as a spare part, because in Dakar etc, the riders get usually to choose what they like, not the factory itself (they can have a default, but if the rider wants, they will change it...)
    Good to see that somebody else (especially Kiska...) is moving in a different direction.. :deal I just hope it does not have gears inside :D
  13. ROKIT_71

ROKIT_71 Gone Orange

Oddometer:
  14. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was about to place an order for the new 450RFR, but I'm not sure my Aurora Mk1 RB will fit. Having the best bike in the world is no good if the rider is pointing it in the wrong direction:lol3. I better stick to my "old" RFR with the new Mk1 RB:deal.
    Seriously though D, you need to push those boys into fitting your RBs. That would be the icing on a very exceptional cake!:clap
  15. Offroadie1

Offroadie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr 640 Arnageddon :deal

PM sent to you.

Cheers.
  16. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    Sorry people. Anybody have a PIC or link for an XR650R nav tower setup. The forks end-end movement is big, and I don't C too much space.
  17. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tau, when you say the forks end to end is big, how'd you mean? The tower we make will fit any bike, but it would be helpful to know what the issue is with the Honda.
  18. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    Sorry stupid explanation. The forks on Full lock leaves you with very little dead space infront of the headstem, So you cannot make the main mount to the neck nice and beafy. I am considering a normal handlebar mount, But a towermount just works better weight wise.
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mount only has to be 3/16 to 1/2 inch thick then you nav tower plates bolt on to it
  20. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on baja dad. I think you mean though that the plates might foul - the obvious question is, do you need so much lock? We've fitted ours to KTMs, Huskies, Yams and Hondas, no issue.