ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #271
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Until we see the real spec's on the Bluetooth [and everything else] I'm not sure I'd make that assumption.
+1 I was shocked that the Montana had audio and couldn't play music.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #272
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
+1 I was shocked that the Montana had audio and couldn't play music.
That's a pretty big stretch to conclude that just because a device supports text-to-speech it has an MP3 player and supports high quality Audio.

Be less shocked...question more.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #273
Cataract2
Where to?
 
Cataract2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: N. Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,585
Being it's Android based. Wonder if I can get the PowerAMP app on it...
__________________
People who get made because they're old, haven't lived.
Cataract2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #274
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Being it's Android based. Wonder if I can get the PowerAMP app on it...
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #275
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Being it's Android based. Wonder if I can get the PowerAMP app on it...
As a matter of fact, there is a whole list of items, based on the specs of the Monterra, that seem interesting and I wonder how they will work both as part of the navigation system and beyond.
  • Bluetooth® wireless technology: yes
  • Wi-Fi connectivity: yes
  • ANT+™ connectivity: yes
  • GNSS support: yes (GPS + GLONASS)
  • Near Field Communication (NFC): yes
  • Microphone: yes (internal for audio capture)
  • Multimedia (audio/video) support: yes (MP3 player, video player, etc.)
  • UV sensor: yes
  • Android with Google Play for complete customization
  • 8 megapixel camera with autofocus and 1080p/30fps video
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #276
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Afraid that one went over my head.
when it is "ready"

Did you notice another item in the news that was released before it was "ready"?
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #277
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
when it is "ready"

Did you notice another item in the news that was released before it was "ready"?


Sorry, I have a cold and I'm a bit foggy. Yes, to borrow a marketing slogan from years ago, "No Monterra before it's time."
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #278
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
That's a pretty big stretch to conclude that just because a device supports text-to-speech it has an MP3 player and supports high quality Audio.

Be less shocked...question more.
Well more to do with the fact that it has a stereo headphone jack, and it was a $600 high end 'outdoor' active unit with everything including a frikken camera in it, It seemed like a no-brainer that it should play music. It's a crossover marine unit, and ALL of the other marine units play music. It's a crossover road unit, and even the cheapest nuvi's play music. For a 'go anywhere' unit it's inexcusable that it doesn't play mp3's
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #279
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
... It's a crossover marine unit, and ALL of the other marine units play music. It's a crossover road unit, and even the cheapest nuvi's play music. For a 'go anywhere' unit it's inexcusable that it doesn't play mp3's
It's also handheld unit, and every other handheld in the Garmin line before the Monterra does not include a music player. Do you expect your iPod to have a GPS in it?
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #280
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Well more to do with the fact that it has a stereo headphone jack, and it was a $600 high end 'outdoor' active unit with everything including a frikken camera in it, It seemed like a no-brainer that it should play music. It's a crossover marine unit, and ALL of the other marine units play music. It's a crossover road unit, and even the cheapest nuvi's play music. For a 'go anywhere' unit it's inexcusable that it doesn't play mp3's
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
It's also handheld unit, and every other handheld in the Garmin line before the Monterra does not include a music player. Do you expect your iPod to have a GPS in it?
Least we get too excited about "this does" and "that doesn't", keep in mind that these days there are no absolutes. The Monterra does play music and quite well I might add so xymotic you now have a precedent for future On The Trail units.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 10:03 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #281
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
..for future On The Trial units.


Will they update the signs?
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #282
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post


Will they update the signs?
Perfect...I think I should stop doing anything until this cold passes...feeling a little brain dead.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #283
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
It's also handheld unit, and every other handheld in the Garmin line before the Monterra does not include a music player. Do you expect your iPod to have a GPS in it?
Who the hell has an iPod anymore? And yeah, I'm a little bit Amazed that the new Oregon does HD Video, can control a remote camera, has a flasjlight and bluetooth but doesn't seem to play music. It's also a ridiculously simple software fix so I'm a bit surprised that you consumers support Garmins poor choices :)

The monterra seems like a long overdue fix for Garmin's previously deliberately hobbled machines. But what does it offer for 500+ dollars over a phone we all likely already have? it's Waterproof?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #284
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer
 
sTE610vE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,961
what is NFC (near field communication)? Just wireless data between monterra units? If so what kind of data I wonder?
__________________
TRAIL STAND (advrider thread)- Dual Sport Portable Jack Stand www.endurostar.com
Husqvarna TE630
Husqvarna TE610E (for sale)
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #285
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Who the hell has an iPod anymore? And yeah, I'm a little bit Amazed that the new Oregon does HD Video, can control a remote camera, has a flasjlight and bluetooth but doesn't seem to play music. It's also a ridiculously simple software fix so I'm a bit surprised that you consumers support Garmins poor choices :)

The monterra seems like a long overdue fix for Garmin's previously deliberately hobbled machines. But what does it offer for 500+ dollars over a phone we all likely already have? it's Waterproof?
Nothing if your cell phone works for you on your bike. You are not obligated to be interested or purchase one.

As I mentioned, I'll publish my review when they are released and you can decide for yourself but I'm guessing the Monterra is not for you.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014