Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #76
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 504
As I read several times, the knee pads are way too low. The top of the pads are below my knee caps which feels weird. On the bike they feel ok, but I think they would fail to protect my knees. I flipped the pants inside out and there is velcro adjustments but it's not enough to move them into place. The armour itself feels really cool but it's much thinner than my Knox stuff. I'll just have to get the pockets modified somehow.

From reading I expected the Overland pants to be a more street fit compared to the Traverse. I don't have them side by side to compare, but find the Overland pants quite bulky which is great to me as I like to layer sometimes. The fit feels a bit unnatural until you're on the bike. The material of course is top notch. Very thick in places for abrasion and thin where possible. I'll probably even layer this suit for snowmobiling and snowboarding.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #77
seabiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
As I read several times, the knee pads are way too low. The top of the pads are below my knee caps which feels weird. On the bike they feel ok, but I think they would fail to protect my knees. I flipped the pants inside out and there is velcro adjustments but it's not enough to move them into place. The armour itself feels really cool but it's much thinner than my Knox stuff. I'll just have to get the pockets modified somehow.

From reading I expected the Overland pants to be a more street fit compared to the Traverse. I don't have them side by side to compare, but find the Overland pants quite bulky which is great to me as I like to layer sometimes. The fit feels a bit unnatural until you're on the bike. The material of course is top notch. Very thick in places for abrasion and thin where possible. I'll probably even layer this suit for snowmobiling and snowboarding.
I just got mine and noticed this. Have you tried sticking self adhesive velcro strips to the back of the knee armor pads? They should then stick to the velcro behind. In addition can probably add a strip just above the opening to "lock" the armor in place. I'm going to try this...
seabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #78
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,710
Overland jacket and Traverse pants have been the ideal combo for me.
The Traverse pant is cut much more comfortable for off-road riding than the Overland, where as the Overland is a better jacket than the Traverse.

Klim nailed the Traverse pant from the start and the Traverse jacket should have been built like the Overland from the get go.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #79
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Arm Fit??

I have a traverse in XXL and I find it to be a great jacket.

My one complaint about the jacket is the stock D30 armour is pretty small. I wear a TekVest over the jacket and want proper elbow protection for off roading. If i pull out the D30 and wear my strap on elbow pads, i can barely get my arms into the jacket. The rest of the jacket is baggy enough to fit over my vest, but the arms are quite tight.

Can anyone comment on the Overland Jacket in way of the fit in the forearms?

I see they have added two cinch straps to help hold things in place, which is great, but are the arms any roomier?

Thanks for the input.
GS eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #80
soupamoto
Singletrack Jedi

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
I have a traverse in XXL and I find it to be a great jacket.

My one complaint about the jacket is the stock D30 armour is pretty small. I wear a TekVest over the jacket and want proper elbow protection for off roading. If i pull out the D30 and wear my strap on elbow pads, i can barely get my arms into the jacket. The rest of the jacket is baggy enough to fit over my vest, but the arms are quite tight.

Can anyone comment on the Overland Jacket in way of the fit in the forearms?

I see they have added two cinch straps to help hold things in place, which is great, but are the arms any roomier?

Thanks for the input.
I bought an Overland 2XL and it was unfortunately too big for me. I"m 6', 235 lbs, 34" arms and it was big all over (XL Badlands fit me). I didn't find the arms overly bagy, just long.

I have it for sale in the Gear section for $325 shipped, absolutely new with tags.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #81
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
The arms fit me perfectly, but I weigh 160.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #82
saritaymike
2-up on a KLR!

Oddometer: 16
Overland not waterproof

I picked up a full set (pants and jacket) at Klim headquarters before starting my Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia trip. Dawned the set for the first time in Prudhoe, and of course ran into some nice Alaska Dalton Highway rain right away. All I have to say is that within minutes my clothes underneath the jacket were moist. The water that accumulates on my seat soaked me right to the 'nads… I know their spiel about "submarine standards" is an exaggeration, but this was ridiculous.
Anyway, I'm now halfway through my trip, in Nicaragua. Tropical rains like bucketfuls are a daily occurrence, and my suit is completely soaked right away, so I've taken to wearing a waterproof jacket and pants over them. This does not even qualify as "water resistant." What a joke for a "well reputed" brand and the price tag.
Maybe it was the sale to Polaris. Maybe it is just the Overland. Hell, maybe just my jacket and pants. Still expected better. Anyone else test these in the rain? By the way, let's go ahead and stop kidding ourselves about the venting- they're a frickin' sauna.
saritaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #83
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
+1 on the Overland jacket ... only suggestion is that it could use a bit more venting ... otherwise, very happy with it.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #84
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
raiin

I've got a Traverse jacket and Overland pants. With the jacket, I've had several rides in the rain, including a 3+ hour heavy rain ride. My upper body does not get wet. Jacket yes, me no.

The pants have only seen one rain run, and it was about an hour and a half. It felt like I had water in my privates area, but in fact after inspection when I got home, that area was dry. I had 2 small damp areas around the top of the front vent zippers. That was it. I don't know if the zips were not entirely closed, or if the way the water pools there, some water will get in. I suspect it was the cold temperature of the water sitting in my lap that made me feel like that area was wet.

As for venting, I ride a naked bike-KTM 690-both the jacket and the pants vent well when standing, which is fairly normal for a 690. Jacket still vents well (pit zip vents on Traverse) when sitting, pants-not so much.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #85
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Does anyone know how the sizing compares to the Dakar pants? All the dealers around here only have the snow mobile gear in right now.

I'm 5'8", 155 and wear a 32 in the Dakar. I've got the tabs adjusted pretty much as tight as they'll go for a good fit in the waist.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #86
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
any sizing advice for me?

6'1" weight 180 41 chest. I am a L in Revit Sand 2, though its a bit snug in the back/shoulders. I guess I am in between a M and L in this jacket.... any ideas for me?
I wear medium in most brands. unless its cut trim or Euro fit. Gap, North face, patagonia.. all medium
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #87
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Does anyone know how the sizing compares to the Dakar pants? All the dealers around here only have the snow mobile gear in right now.

I'm 5'8", 155 and wear a 32 in the Dakar. I've got the tabs adjusted pretty much as tight as they'll go for a good fit in the waist.
I always wear 32 in jeans and I bought 32 in Overland pants. Whereas 32 jeans are usually a bit loose on me and I wear a belt, 32 Overland is snug even without the tabs. I would actually prefer if they were a bit loose and had belt loops, or if I wore them with the tabs tightened down. Don't know if that helps.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #88
mwhite5471
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Took my first ride in my Overlander today...a 200 mike loop in the nasty 70° AZ winter weather ...needed both the front vents open and neck undone an inch.

It was perfect.

We'll see what the upper limit is in a few weeks as the highs creep towards 75...my guess that will be it or maybe 80.

48" chest the XL fits loose enough for a jumper just.

Agree the arms need vents...would be awesome.
mwhite5471 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #89
ADVGirlCharlotte
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
+1 on the Overland jacket ... only suggestion is that it could use a bit more venting ... otherwise, very happy with it.
What he said!

I LOVE the Overland. Keeps me dry and it looks great! Looks even better on a guy ;)

Even though there are large vents, I like the large pit vents on the Traverse

http://www.globalwomenwhoride.com/?p=4311
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #90
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Just picked up my Overland Jacket; I am unfortunately one of the people who will never end up liking it - probably end up parking it in a closet, the things I really dislike about it are:

- the collar is 1/2 - 1" too high
- the "chest" pocket is not a check pocket - placement silly
- shoulder width does not match sleeve length (I got a wide body).

Price / Quality is just about right, just about same quality as the mid-expensive Rukka, or expensive Rev'IT.

I have asked Klim if they know of a company in Europe who can shorten the collar - lets see what they say.....

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote