Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #91
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Hey Kelly! Sorry for the delay on this report... as you said, we did just get back from an EPIC ride in Colorado and Utah. It was awesome to say the least and we accomplished many of our original lofty goals. We are still in the early stages of working on the ride report... almost 3000 pictures and 60 hours of HD video are a lot to sort through!

Chris doesn't like me posting pics from the ride just yet but here is a link to some pictures I posted in the WR250R forum

Yes! Black Bear is awesome, we did go back there on the recent trip and will have some more awesome data on that pass
YOU'RE THE WORST OLIVER!!!

Littlewan, you're not the worst.
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 02:27 PM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #92
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by child View Post
Littlewan, you're not the worst.
Whew! Thanks, Chris (I feel better now).

(heh, I wondered what that little guy was up to...)
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #93
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Nice ride, Oliver!
Hey, glad that conehead is still doing his job...
Thanks Kelly! Yes... Alexander the Cone is doing awesome. Just yesterday we were out at an off-road park and I had several spectacular incidents... both myself and the bike came out unharmed... my cone is exhausted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaish View Post
great trip and nice ride .. the videos are great i enjoyed
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.moto View Post
Absolutely loved your report! Video, and especially the choice in music! Those Bebop soundtracks do sound great, dont they?
Thanks guys I'm liking this video thing too! I just replaced my two GoPro Hero cameras with a pair of the new GoPro Hero 2s! They seem to give a clearer picture, better low light performance, 10 pictures in 1 second burst option, and super slow motion (120fps) at lower resolution... let's see what kind of stuff we can create now!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #94
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,788
I can't believe I missed this...

I enjoyed your ride last year and this one as well. I have to check out all of the videos at home, Damn computer here at work won't load them
Thanks ender. looking forward to the next RR that you did with Child. I've got to do Black Bear one day.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #95
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I just posted the full GPX files, including my original planned route and my tracks on the first page and right here:

Full GPX File

Let me know if you have any questions about the file or tracks!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #96
bmwles
BMW Les

Oddometer: 7
Laugh Wow - Just WOW!

I had read through your report last Fall - and watched the videos. I just did it again.

I am truly impressed at your planning skills, execution and creativity with video reportage. Consider this one BOOKMARKED!

Thank you!

bmwles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #97
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,282
just breathtaking... this view... these videos... THAT BIKE!!! =D
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #98
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Enjoyed the rr. Great pic's along with the video's.
Been about twelve years since I was in Colorado Elk hunting. didn't get one but it was a trip I'll never forget.
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #99
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Thanks for the comments I am working on another ride report with Chris on our Colorado-Utah trip from last year... I really need to get something out there, too much video!

I am itching to get back to Colorado this year again, I don't think I will ever tire of this area.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #100
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
greatness

This ride report is great. I wanted to let you both know that you've given me motivation to get to Colorado next year.

Curious, I have the same 2009 bmw f800gs, which I really like. I grew up on dirt bike and do have an xr600 which I never ride anymore since it seems like the bmw does all things fairly well. Do you think the 800 is too big for colorado? It seems like you did really well and were able to get you through most situations? Or would you go with a slightly smaller more nimble less comfortable bike like the xr 600?

thanks again
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #101
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
This ride report is great. I wanted to let you both know that you've given me motivation to get to Colorado next year.

Curious, I have the same 2009 bmw f800gs, which I really like. I grew up on dirt bike and do have an xr600 which I never ride anymore since it seems like the bmw does all things fairly well. Do you think the 800 is too big for colorado? It seems like you did really well and were able to get you through most situations? Or would you go with a slightly smaller more nimble less comfortable bike like the xr 600?

thanks again
Thanks! Definitely go see Colorado, especially the San Juan area!

Regarding your question, it is difficult to answer because it depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

If you have limited time and want to see the famous passes and don't want to spend a lot of time loading/unloading your bike, take the 800! It will do fine on pretty much all the famous passes you read about on this site. (You should be comfortable with downhill rock ledges if you are doing Black Bear Pass)

If you want to explore the side gulches and lookouts, take the XT, there are many roads that are amazingly scenic and challenging. I recently went with my WR250R and did some side roads... depending on how far you want to go you will need the lighter bike.

Wager Gulch is a good example. It is off Cinnamon Pass and goes for many many miles and there is even a single track road that I couldn't explore because of time (not for the 800).

If you are there for the first time and have a week, do all the famous passes, plenty for the 800 to explore in style.

Also... check out my other ride report I did with Chris that has more trails and ratings specific to larger bikes!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #102
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
awesome

thanks

Quote:
Thanks! Definitely go see Colorado, especially the San Juan area!

Regarding your question, it is difficult to answer because it depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

If you have limited time and want to see the famous passes and don't want to spend a lot of time loading/unloading your bike, take the 800! It will do fine on pretty much all the famous passes you read about on this site. (You should be comfortable with downhill rock ledges if you are doing Black Bear Pass)

If you want to explore the side gulches and lookouts, take the XT, there are many roads that are amazingly scenic and challenging. I recently went with my WR250R and did some side roads... depending on how far you want to go you will need the lighter bike.

Wager Gulch is a good example. It is off Cinnamon Pass and goes for many many miles and there is even a single track road that I couldn't explore because of time (not for the 800).

If you are there for the first time and have a week, do all the famous passes, plenty for the 800 to explore in style.

Also... check out my other ride report I did with Chris that has more trails and ratings specific to larger bikes!
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #103
triumphsidehack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
hey thats my boy

Quote:
That morning in Salida I met another solo adventure rider heading in the opposite direction. We traded stories and I warned him about Marshall Pass. Hopefully he made it over safely... avoiding getting spiked!

This day I was headed up Highway 24 to Weston Pass. The air was chilly and storms were racing across the plains. I had my earbuds in and felt in tune with the bike. After the long day of easy trails yesterday I was ready for something a bit more challenging.

Here is the beast that grades these roads... not as big as I thought This was the end of the smooth stuff and onwards with some rocky fun!

Hey EnderTheX .............. great ride report and pic's , have really enjoyed your RR and photo's and haven ridden this area before , it brings back some good memories and good times I had when I road it with my son and some friends.

And just as I was finishing up this report I see my son's pic and a big thumbs up and a big smile> he really enjoys riding in Colorado Mts < and yes made it over Marshall safely without issue.

Anyway thanks for posting , and it gave me a great feeling seeing his face all lit up thinking about a great day of riding he was about to have riding in the San Juan's of Colorado.
triumphsidehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #104
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphsidehack View Post
Hey EnderTheX .............. great ride report and pic's , have really enjoyed your RR and photo's and haven ridden this area before , it brings back some good memories and good times I had when I road it with my son and some friends.

And just as I was finishing up this report I see my son's pic and a big thumbs up and a big smile> he really enjoys riding in Colorado Mts < and yes made it over Marshall safely without issue.

Anyway thanks for posting , and it gave me a great feeling seeing his face all lit up thinking about a great day of riding he was about to have riding in the San Juan's of Colorado.
Great! I'm glad to hear he made it, that area is a lot of fun... I kind of wonder what it looks like at this time of year.

Connecting with riders and friends through a ride report is one of my favorite things about ADVrider! A picture is worth more than a thousand words and in this case I'm happy to discover a bit more back-story, thank you!

This reminds me... I've got a couple more rides I need to convert into reports