Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #1666
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I should have been more clear - the question I asked Heidenau was the correct pressure on the K60 Scout for travelling long distance 2-up and fully loaded primarily on tarmac roads and the occasional bit of light travel/dirt trails.
we have these tires at 36-38 psi front and rear almost always and no issues.

We also have been using the K60 since 2010
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #1667
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I am certain that it is of different rubber blend, as my 18 inch rock's..... On, and off the pavement. The experience you describe is a different tire, not what I have on mine.
I don't know....I have the same one shown in this picture here at #1651
Admittedly mine is a 17. Pick up my 18 tomorrow and going for the Motoz Tractionator!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #1668
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
Admittedly mine is a 17. Pick up my 18 tomorrow and going for the Motoz Tractionator!
That single post are our bikes. Not sure how it got to be a single post but cool. Our tires are not showing any wear at over 8000 KM's. Rode home from the dealer yesterday after my 10K service and it was like a typhoon out. No issues with the tires giving way to the flooding highway. I just stayed out of the centre part of the lane, you could see all the grease and oils rising to the surface from all this rain and I was good to go except probably could have used a paddle or two riding through some of the instant ponds that formed right in front of me.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #1669
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
That single post are our bikes. Not sure how it got to be a single post but cool.
It's just a forum trick that allows someone to post a link that displays just the single post in a thread. Your post is still part of the thread as a whole.

I'm pretty much through my set of K60s and am hunting for the next choice. They were good tires, but not great tires. The mileage was fantastic, the on road behavior was good, but the off road traction left me wanting something better. That solid center strip on the 150 just limited the tires bite in loose stuff. The front tire was wild in sand, just couldn't keep the front end in control (but that might be me as much as the tire ). In mud that damn center strip again on the rear made the tire a slick with no traction, not bad if you kept momentum, but hopeless to get moving again if you stopped. The more the tire wore, the less traction it had off pavement.

I'm currently looking at the Mitas tires but can't decide between the E-07 rear or the E-09. I'm looking at the E-10 for the front.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #1670
Billy_b57
DARTH

Oddometer: 125
Heidenau

Put them on Darth (800Gs) and like them so much we became dealer's.

http://www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com/ Your next adventure begins with Us!
Billy_b57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #1671
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCadders View Post
Hey Guys,

I recently swapped out my rear TKC for a K60 after reading all the reviews, I'm still running a TKC80 on the front though as its got masses of tread left, the rear only lasted around 2-3k km on asphalt and gravel.

After struggling like hell to get the tire on a snake must have crawled out of nowhere when I wasnt looking and bit the tube . I ended up taking it into a local bike shop to get it off and relace the tube. What surprised me was that they put 8 peel and stick wheel weights on the rim when they balanced it. What I noticed on the first ride was quite serious vibration going through the 30-40km range (18-25mph) both accelerating and decelerating / braking.

When I had the TKC on I had no wheel weights and only the expected vibration / hum you'd expect from 50/50's. So I decided to peel the weights off, making sure I put a small scribe where they were, and the vibration is bit less through the same speed band but still very noticable. Above and below that range there is no vibration.

My question is, is this normal for these tires or do you have any suggestions as to what my be going on??

(if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, I appologise and feel free to throw your heads back and laugh at me )

Looking at GoToMoto's comment above could it be Im running the air pressure too high? Its currently at the rating on the tire, I forget what it is but i know thats what I inflated it to.

Thanks
I had this issue this year when I swapped back from my 2nd set to my spoked wheels with the K60's on the rear. Set pressure to 36psi and the vibration and noise was bad. Tire has 2000kms on it and is starting to flatten a tiny bit. Bumped the pressure back to 42psi and it's a lot better, vibration is almost nil, especially in corners. YMMV!
I'm just using up this tire to get me through to the end of the season then going back to Distanzia's. I never really liked this tire as it's squirrelly from new until you get several hundred kms on it, unnerving in corners at speed and it's noisy as hell and looses air over time. Won't buy again!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #1672
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I've just bought the K60 SIO2 winter tyre for my F650 Dakar.

From what I've read the K60s are poor in the wet. As this tyre is designed to work at low temperatures and has far more silica in it than the standard K60, I'm expecting it to work well in the UK winter.

This is a 130/80/17 tyre and does not have a band around the centre at all.

Manufactured in September 2013.

Only slight problem is I've got 2,000 miles round Spain to get through on it first at temperatures in double digits.

EDIT: Got it fitted now. I'll report back once it's fully scrubbed in.

c-m screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 05:28 AM
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1673
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Two ounces of weight is too much. When I hit 4 wheel weights I unmount the tire and spin it a bit. Try balancing the wheel naked to see where your heavy spots are.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1674
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
New set on the GS !

Well after much deliberation I put another set of K60 "scouts" on my F800GS. I do a fair amount of off-road riding and some of it fairly rugged. My first set proved to me that they are very good on the road and almost excellent in the twisty's considering the tread pattern. They are also great in all of my off-road conditions which are mostly rocky hard surfaces we find in the desert southwest. I have not tested them in the mud much. I just "scrubbed in" the new set with a 300 mile ride that encompassed highway speeds , mountain twisty's and 22 miles of mild off road with some sand and wet dirt. They felt great in all applications and I cannot see going to another tire. I got 7500 miles on my last set ( front could have gone another 2000 miles, rear was just to squared off after too many highway miles) and I am going to order 2 back up sets before they are either changed or un-available... They are durable, stable at speed, good in the turns and more than adequate in the loose stuff..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #1675
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I am pretty happy with my rear k60 as well, it does get a weee loose when wet but hey I have fun with that.... just revert back to my flat track days on a much larger bike
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #1676
dknj22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
New owner of K60's

Gave in and bought a set of K60's for my 2012 F8, should be arriving at the house in the next few days! Too bad I didn't tell my wife to expect a Christmas package for myself, ha! I had to take advantage of some of the great sales that are out there this time of year. I'm excited to get these bad boys on the bike and try them out on some awesome NJ potholes and what little fire roads we have. When I get back, I'll snap some pics and post them.
dknj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #1677
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Here's my review after 3,000 miles on the Heidenau K60 Silica (Winter tyre)

http://defylife.co.uk/adventure/equi...au-k60-silica/
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #1678
samueleuk
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenereTravelers View Post
Folks,

I contacted the Heidenau factory direct and they gave me the following tire pressures for the K60 Scouts fitted on my Yamaha Tenere XT660Z.
Hi there,

what kind of mileage do you get on the K60 Scouts you have fitted on the Yamaha Tenere XT660Z?

Do you have any experience with the regular K60 in the front and/or rear? What's the difference in performance and mileage compared to the K60 Scout?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #1679
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
How'd you go with the Motoz Tractionator?

I fitted one up to the DR650, and loved the traction. Tore it up pretty bad though. I'm thinking for the same kind of riding style on the 800, it'd get shredded in about 1200kms.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #1680
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
How'd you go with the Motoz Tractionator?

I fitted one up to the DR650, and loved the traction. Tore it up pretty bad though. I'm thinking for the same kind of riding style on the 800, it'd get shredded in about 1200kms.
I LOVE the tractionators (front and rear) on my 690 enduro. I got 3500 hard dirt miles out of the rear and even more out of front. I'm sold. I've even considered having Woody's build me an 18" rear for my 800 just so I can run a tractionator back there.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote