Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I have the Wunderlich one coming. I'll let you know if it works.
Pstmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstmstr View Post
I have the Wunderlich one coming. I'll let you know if it works.

Great!

Thanks
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
So I'm 1500 miles into my trip and I'm wishing I would have brought the extensions. Still, it's a help. Keep in mind, I've been riding in W. Texas and the side winds are a wicked - no screen is going to help with that.

It's solid, and doesn't flap at all - I just need a bit more rise (I'm 5"11). I think it's a solid solution - but I'm still getting a tiny bit of buffeting and still getting plenty of wind noise in certain conditions.
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Wunderlich

Got the Wunderlich extender in but it's not going to work for me, it does cut it down some but still not tall enough. Keep in mind, I"m 6'4" tall so it may work for some. Here's a quick pic at it's highest extension, it does have lots of ways you adjust. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
7seas10
7seas

Quote:
Got the Wunderlich extender in but it's not going to work for me, it does cut it down some but still not tall enough. Keep in mind, I"m 6'4" tall so it may work for some. Here's a quick pic at it's highest extension, it does have lots of ways you adjust. [IMG][/IMG]

That is really bad that it doesn't work for you.
I bought the Touratech Windshield spoiler which is coming next Friday.
I will report on it during the weekend
Thanks again
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

screen

California Scientific said they have a prototype that they are testing fitment on this week. I've got one of theirs on my RT I like really well. The search continues. I road about 200 miles Sunday, it was tolerable but will be so much better with a higher screen. First payment due this week, I've only got about 1400 miles on it so far but liking it. Gotta get used to the chain maintenance thing, been reading up on that, seems simple enough.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
7seas10
7seas

That is a good new, I would like Aeroflow to come out with a nice windscreen. I used them many times on my GSs and also on my GT. The best of all.
It is a matter of time, you'll see, we'll have many choices to choose from.
I'm also getting used to the chain maintenance, no big deal.
I sleep better knowing that I have chain drive bike. ( My last GT13 had shaft drive leaks.)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seas10 View Post
That is really bad that it doesn't work for you.
I bought the Touratech Windshield spoiler which is coming next Friday.
I will report on it during the weekend
Thanks again
Did you get the Touratech one installed and a chance to test it out yet?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
7seas10
7seas

Quote:
Did you get the Touratech one installed and a chance to test it out yet?
I will pick it up tomorrow from the dealer the order took longer than we thought.
After I ordered it I did read bad reviews about it: Not to good for off road, marks the windshield, comes off an on and on....
Honestly, I do not know what to do if keep it or return it and get something else....
If I keep I will report on it after a ride.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
7seas10
7seas

Aeroflow very soon for GSA8 :)

I went to my bmw dealer to pick up my order from Touratech and they told me that they messed up my order, so It will take longer for me to try the wind spoiler.

Meanwhile I contacted Aeroflow and this is what they say about the GSA8 screen. Good news actually:

On Nov 6, 2013 2:19 PM, "Questions@AeroFlowScreens.com" wrote:
Hello,

Unfortunately our screen will not fit the 2013 yet. We have a bike coming into the shop this Friday and should hopefully have the changes made in a week or two. I can add you to the mailing list if you like.

Thank you,

Christine

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Marcelo D Fernandez wrote:
Hi Christine,

I just wanted to ask you if you know if the Aeroflow Screen for the F800 GS you have in stock will fit the 2013 F800 Adventure (same bike in the front)?

Thank you for your time

Best Regards

Marcelo
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

That does sound promising. I think I'll contact them and get added to the list.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
7seas10
7seas

Quote:
That does sound promising. I think I'll contact them and get added to the list.
Yes, please do!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #28
20Fingers
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 133
XD4 Vibration and Windscreen Solution

I had a similar experience with screens on my 2013 F800GS, after some expensive trials on different screens I turned to the XD4's "Beak"...what worked and still works today. First, I cut a short length of bicycle spoke, just enough to bridge the front edge, just inder the lip, of the XD4's beak. Then I measured and cut a 2" strip of Dynamat (sound barrier material) which I used to glue the spoke into place. The first time I simply used the Dynamat, at sub 65mph, it worked well, above 70, I still got annoying vibration from the "beak". Installing the piece of spoke, which is light and very stiff, under the Dynamat worked great, I have NO virbation at all at speeds up to 125mph (since I have not gone faster with it). Also, I do not advocate for extreme speeds while using a "beak" like the XD4, this seems too risky. After about $900 in different winscreens and extensions, the final solution to the helmet virbation was $8!

CLARITY ON TERMINOLOGY!
-Buffeting is not to be confused with my description of Helmet Vibration. The vibration I am referring to in this post can be described as a buzz or loud hum, like the feeing of an electric hand sander (palm sander) or the buzz you get from an iPhone when the sound is muted, only constant.
-Buffeting, IMHO, is when the feeling of your head and sometimes upper torso being moved-jostled by the wind currents coming over and around the windscreen. This goes away immiately if you stand up or duck under the airflow and get out of the turbulent wind cause by the screen. However, the buzzing felt from the flimsy XD4's "beak" will still be felt to some degree, more or less depending on the speed of air going over your helmet. **PLEASE do not stand up at very high speeds to test this, use your common sense!

I run a stock shield on my F800GS, I run 60-70 average speeds around the back roads of Maine and above 80 on the interstates, NO virbarion or flutter from the "Beak", but I do get buffeted on very windy days. I am looking at this for a solution to two issues on my F8GS:
http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...ucts/mirage214
1- It allows a decent amount of windscreen adjustment for different conditions, since I am off road nearly as much as I am on the slab, I love this feature...even taking it off when on long dirt expedeitions.
2- It gets my GPS more into my line of sight, currently its on a mount accross my bars and I have to look too far down to read the map.

I hope this helps, and good luck with fixin the "beak"
Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #29
7seas10
7seas

The plastic used on the Mirage 2 construction doesn't look appealing to me.

Thanks for the tip!

Safe riding
Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Mirage 2 fairing for F800GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
I am looking at this for a solution to two issues on my F8GS:
http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...ucts/mirage214
1- It allows a decent amount of windscreen adjustment for different conditions, since I am off road nearly as much as I am on the slab, I love this feature...even taking it off when on long dirt expedeitions.
2- It gets my GPS more into my line of sight, currently its on a mount accross my bars and I have to look too far down to read the map.

I hope this helps, and good luck with fixin the "beak"
Check out Ian's reply to my post in the vendor thread re Mirage 2 on F800GSA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=341)

Essentially, they haven't tested the Mirage 2 on an 800GSA yet, but he's intending to bring one out for it regardless.

Please post photos if you get one for your GSA - looks like you'd be the first to try!

Cheers,

Pete
mmmmbeeeeer is offline   Reply With Quote