Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #61
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
When I do a search on Akro exhaust online for prices, I get a few different resutls of online stores selling new one on ebay. However, the prices vary by a quite a bit. Are there more than one slip on Akro's for the F800?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #62
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
Hi, what is a good website to buy the pipe? I am in Melbourne australia.
Thanks.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #63
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618
When I do a search on Akro exhaust online for prices, I get a few different resutls of online stores selling new one on ebay. However, the prices vary by a quite a bit. Are there more than one slip on Akro's for the F800?
great service and best price here:

www.solomotoparts.com

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...8&cat=0&page=1
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #64
speed_kills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618
Yes, there are 2 versions of Akrapovic exhausts. One with the grey laser engraved logo is sold by BMW. The other with Akrapovic red/black sticker is sold by the Akrapovic importer. Both versions are exactly the same specs-wise except for labeling.

By the way, I'm curious, has anyone successfully installed an Akrapovic pipe on their F800/650GS together with the GIVI side case mounts (PL690)? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4505

I have the GIVI installed on my bike and I wonder whether the Akrapovic exhaust will fit without touching the side mounts.
speed_kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #65
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
If the Givi clears the stock can, it should easily clear the Akra, as it's slimmer. I have SW Motech racks and there's quite a bit of space between the rack and the Akra can.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #66
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If the Givi clears the stock can, it should easily clear the Akra, as it's slimmer. I have SW Motech racks and there's quite a bit of space between the rack and the Akra can.
Not necessarily, GB. The Akro pipe is slimmer, but taller. Any pannier system that has parts that need to fit between the top of the pipe and the bottom of the bike's superstructure may have clearance issues - the Hepco racks, for example, don't fit.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #67
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornillo
Hi, what is a good website to buy the pipe? I am in Melbourne australia.
Thanks.
Check out what Southbank want for the BMW version. IMHO, the BMW one (which is covered by warranty and has a BMW part number) looks much nicer on the bike with its laser-etched "Akrapovic" logo than does the over-the-counter version, with a naff red-and-black sticker.

When I did this exercise in January, BMW wanted $1,120 inc fitting; Akrapovic over-the-counter was $1,080 plus fitting and freight.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #68
murpies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
Okay, so let's start with the baffle. It's held in with an 8mm bolt. Access is a bit tricky since the angle through the "nipple hole" doesn't align with the bolt head, and you have to shift your tool around once you're in to hit it just right. (If someone could explain to my girlfriend why what I just typed was not filthy, it would be appreciated.)

Here it is out, with the bolt threaded back in:

If you're not sure if you have a baffle, look down the pipe. If you can see the drilled metal baffle walls, it's out, like this:

Okay, so on to the fitment. Sorry for the photos - it's dark in my garage and I'm not pushing it outside 'cos it's raining. The aluminium tube in the photos is vertical, and placed at the "point of closest approach" between the pipe and the tank. Note that this is, oddly, not at the widest point of the tank as the pipe has a slight outwards cant to it.

Mine look abit different from yours . how you unscrew the bolt. wat tool u use Will take a shot of it later . Appreciate you'll help.
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #69
murpies
Adventurer

Akrapovic exhaust on F800GS

Tats mine .

Wat tool should I use to go into the nipple hole? Should I break the bolt (2nd photo) or the bottom bolt (3rd photo)?
Sorry abt the last photo cos can't find a focus point due to the angle.

murpies screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 06:56 PM
Old 11-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #70
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,578
Sorry, thought you would have an answer by now. You remove the bolt in the last picture. I remember it being difficult to install. That is the only bolt holding the silencer in. It will probably be difficult removing it as it's a tight fit and carbon may have jammed it up. I always use high temp anti-seize around it when installing and it helps when trying to align the bolt hole.

Edit: I found my instructions and they don't tell you how to remove it, only how to install the rubber plug.

Reaver screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 05:29 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #71
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,520
First post in parallel universe, contributing two cents' worth of BS, on the akrapovic...

I recently bought my own F800GS, and I had seen half a dozen of bikes until I bought the one I did. Two bikes sporting an akra slipped from my hands at the last minute, and my final choice was between an '08 with akra, and a '10 with stock exhaust, at about the same money. I was actually thinking of getting the older one, just for the akra. I know that I will not be able to justify 500 euros for that thing in the future so getting it already on the purchased bike was the only "solution"..

I am telling all this so as to confirm how sweet that pipe sounds, I really wanted to get it but logic prevailed in the end and I got the 2 years and 10K klms younger bike, which now sounds like a monkey with the runs in my ears compared to that civilized yet vigorous symphony of combustion...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #72
murpies
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Sorry, thought you would have an answer by now. You remove the bolt in the last picture. I remember it being difficult to install. That is the only bolt holding the silencer in. It will probably be difficult removing it as it's a tight fit and carbon may have jammed it up. I always use high temp anti-seize around it when installing and it helps when trying to align the bolt hole.

Edit: I found my instructions and they don't tell you how to remove it, only how to install the rubber plug.
Thanks , appreciate it. Will try it this weekend. Cheers.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #73
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Is it me or does it sound WAAAAY better w/o the baffle?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #74
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #75
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
I also think it sounds way better, and it's by no means loud, IMO. While I haven't noticed any change in performance, I like the sound, and that it shaved a few pounds off the bike. When the warranty expires the cat converter is getting ditched.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote