Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
GSA Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123 View Post
That's what I'd like to know too...does the GSA screen and bar retro fit the 800GS's?
Thought I read about GSA screen somewhere on ADVRIDER that it didn't fit and was designed so it wouldn't. But I'm sure a clever BOFFIN will work out a mod to make it work and will post up the modification and let us all know how to do it for $5.

On a side note I used to ride with a shoei helmet now I have an ARAI XD4, smooth as silk now, used to have bit of buffeting with the Shoei.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
m308p
168GR BTHP

Oddometer: 5
I've got the 13 F800GS with the TT Desertio 3 and love it. I was hesitant to drop that kind of cash but am glad I did. I am 6' and ride with a Shoei Hornet helmet with the visor which can act like a sail with the stock windshield. I just finished a 2000 mile trip which included about 1/2 of the UTBDR and have no complaints about the TT D3 screen. It was nice to be able to lower it while off road which really helped me a lot.
m308p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnatic View Post
Thought I read about GSA screen somewhere on ADVRIDER that it didn't fit and was designed so it wouldn't. But I'm sure a clever BOFFIN will work out a mod to make it work and will post up the modification and let us all know how to do it for $5.

On a side note I used to ride with a shoei helmet now I have an ARAI XD4, smooth as silk now, used to have bit of buffeting with the Shoei.
On close inspection, looking at both bikes side by side, the F800GS has all the structure points where the F800GSA screen and hardware will attaches to. Of course, you will need to get the mounting hardware to have it work. I would check with a BMW dealer first though.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
gspirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Saw this in another thread. Mounting hardware parts cross over as same part numbers for earlier models. It should swap right over. A gap around the fairing by the headlight may be the only issue, but that is not much of an issue.

Just need somebody with more money than me to try this first….

Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
Searching the Real oem part numbers I found that everything fits

2009-2012 FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988
ADV 2013- FRONT PANEL CARRIER Part# 46637694988

2009-2012 MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833
2013- MIDDLE WINDSHIELD Part# 71607713833

So all mounting parts are the same. The only issue can be differences on the fairing which must be minor.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...screen&page=80

2013 F800GS
gspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
gleyfman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Juts my .02$ here.
It looks like we are trying to compare apples to oranges here.
150$ Givi and some others are just not the same thing as 900$ TTD3 - period!
So before comparing these, I think it is important to understand what is the purpose of that new windshield?
Tour across US and beyond, half of it off road? - Go ahead get that TTD3!
Or commuting and occasional fun ride on a weekend? - Not worth 900$ investment, simple

- Also on that '14 adventure screen, before spending all that money to see if it fits, read other posts on the forum from '14 ADV owners, all complaining about buffeting and noise from that screen, so why would you want to install something like that on your 2013 GS?
gleyfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
20Fingers OP
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleyfman View Post
Juts my .02$ here.
So before comparing these, I think it is important to understand what is the purpose of that new windshield?
Or commuting and occasional fun ride on a weekend? - Not worth 900$ investment, simple

- Also on that '14 adventure screen, before spending all that money to see if it fits, read other posts on the forum from '14 ADV owners, all complaining about buffeting and noise from that screen, so why would you want to install something like that on your 2013 GS?

This is good common sense! It is unreasonable to believe that any fixed-position screens will perform for everyone the same. Since we are all different, one's torso being taller-shorter than the next, adjustable heights or a spoiler that adjusts is a must! Those lucky enough to fit behind a factory screen, like the new one seen on the 2014 F800GSA, will LOVE it, those experiencing buffeting, won't...pretty simple. Experimentation is expensive, knowledge is priceless. Best way to find "your screen" is to find other bikes, friendly riders, and attempt to get some time behind the screen! I got to ride behind a GIVI I was contemplating, I HATED it at highway speeds, buddy loves it. For a minimal amount of expense, I corrected the airflow on my stock screen with the addition of a spoiler, Wunderlich worked best. Ultimately, finding a screen with the most adjustable height would have been the best, but then again, economics weighs in. Currently, I am looking into the Britannia Mirage2 because it offer me two very specific additions to my bike; First, I can *tune in the height and drop it down when off-road-ing my 13 F800GS. Second, I will be able to mount my GPS in the line of sight which reduces risk by keeping my head up! A side benefit, the Mirage2 add something different and a place to hang more obnoxious stickers from my adventures!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
gleyfman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
This is good common sense! It is unreasonable to believe that any fixed-position screens will perform for everyone the same. Since we are all different, one's torso being taller-shorter than the next, adjustable heights or a spoiler that adjusts is a must! Those lucky enough to fit behind a factory screen, like the new one seen on the 2014 F800GSA, will LOVE it, those experiencing buffeting, won't...pretty simple. Experimentation is expensive, knowledge is priceless. Best way to find "your screen" is to find other bikes, friendly riders, and attempt to get some time behind the screen! I got to ride behind a GIVI I was contemplating, I HATED it at highway speeds, buddy loves it. For a minimal amount of expense, I corrected the airflow on my stock screen with the addition of a spoiler, Wunderlich worked best. Ultimately, finding a screen with the most adjustable height would have been the best, but then again, economics weighs in. Currently, I am looking into the Britannia Mirage2 because it offer me two very specific additions to my bike; First, I can *tune in the height and drop it down when off-road-ing my 13 F800GS. Second, I will be able to mount my GPS in the line of sight which reduces risk by keeping my head up! A side benefit, the Mirage2 add something different and a place to hang more obnoxious stickers from my adventures!
And on the subject of trying - you can't beat that!
It would be very expensive though. One solution I found:
Z-Technic offers "Try Before you Buy" program. If you are lucky enough to have a participating dealer nearby - contact them and go for a ride!
I was able to find a dealer about 100 miles from me and they have been kind enough to let me try 2 Z-Technic screens and 2 from other manufactures, I ended up buying Givi from them, as it worked best for me.
Also to consider:
- MadStad offers 100% satisfaction guarantee - if you don't like it send it back!
- CeeBailey accepts returns with 20% re-stocking or something like that…
So it is possible to test some options without breaking the bank!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Juts my .02$ here.

Good points.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
chriselgui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Im between two screens:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...50gs-2008-2013

or

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...w-f650gsf800gs

anyone have and experience with either?
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
gleyfman
Adventurer

I tried Moose.

Was worse than a stock for me. Cheap though

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriselgui View Post
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
chriselgui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
I tried Moose.

Was worse than a stock for me. Cheap though
so the moose one sucks then.....
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
The mirage is a big upgrade from stock. At 6'3" I get a bit of a tap on top of helmet in high winds, but nothing serious. The wind does come around the sides and buffet the shoulders a little, but it is nothing serious. All of the pressure is relieved from the chest and head, but you will get a bit of buffeting on the shoulders.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 120
I have a Brit. Comp. Mirage II. It was easy to mount and works good with Bark Buster storm hand guards,the bike still turns lock to lock.Good wind coverage but cuts side winds too.Well thought out product!
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
intr1gue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Mine just arrived...

will likely install over the coming Turkannakah break; I'll post an update then.

Before this I tried the Laminar Lip and despite wild success on previous bikes it buffet city, as was the Touratech Touring screen (standard height). I'm 5'7", 30in inseam with a standard height seat and an Arai XD3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanac rider View Post
I have a Brit. Comp. Mirage II. It was easy to mount and works good with Bark Buster storm hand guards,the bike still turns lock to lock.Good wind coverage but cuts side winds too.Well thought out product!
intr1gue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Got a quote for upgrading the windscreen for my '13 to the GSA style. $684 (give or take) from A&S.

I think I'll be looking closer at the Madstad.

Suggestions on color/tint for a Kalamata? Mine is pretty much always covered with dust and bugs...
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote