Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #91
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Ol' Sweetwater has lost high pitch hearing and has intermittent tinnitus (not too bad). Took me a long time and a good friend to point out ear plugs and riding go together rather well.

Years of shooting haven't helped either, but we were in habit of wearing 'muffs long before due to range rules et cetera.

I now use SureFire Sonic Defenders all the time when riding. Highly recommended.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equ...rotection.html

I've been using the EP3 model for several years now and they work well for me. The EP5 would be quieter.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #92
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,002
Tinnitus

Came on some research on tinnitus while researching a DMD MD.
He wrote a paper which says, tinnitus is like a phantom pain. Like someone who feels pain in a limb after amputation, our ear hears ringing from hairs that are no longer functioning.

He suggests that contracting neck muscles can lesson the ringing, only temporarily. You need to pay ten bucks to read the whole article, I didn't.
Contracting your neck muscles is free, try it. See what happens.
Here it is.

Met the guy today. He is going to put a titanium post in my jaw to support a new molar.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #93
locomacdaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
He suggests that contracting neck muscles can lesson the ringing, only temporarily.
Great information and thanks for passing it on, but actually the abstract mentions just the opposite...that forceful contraction can cause a tinnitus-like perception. Here's the direct quotes from the abstract.

Quote:
Over half of those with no tinnitus at the time of testing could elicit a tinnitus-like auditory perception with head and neck contractions.
Quote:
The finding that forceful head and neck contractions, as well as loud sound exposure, were significantly more likely to modulate ongoing auditory perception in people with tinnitus than in those without tinnitus supports the concept of a neural threshold for tinnitus.
I've suffered with Tinnitus for years now, and I'm in my mid-forties. Been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which effects the fluids in the inner ear. I have to watch sodium intake and make other lifestyle changes. Bottom line, be sure to check with a physician to properly diagnose your Tinnitus.
locomacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #94
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomacdaddy View Post
Great information and thanks for passing it on, but actually the abstract mentions just the opposite...that forceful contraction can cause a tinnitus-like perception. Here's the direct quotes from the abstract.

I've suffered with Tinnitus for years now, and I'm in my mid-forties. Been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which effects the fluids in the inner ear. I have to watch sodium intake and make other lifestyle changes. Bottom line, be sure to check with a physician to properly diagnose your Tinnitus.
While I did not read the entire article and spent the majority of my time with the doctor discussing the reason for the visit. He was surprised I had read his article and accepted my observation of a perceived modulation in tinnitus when tensing neck muscles. That is when he brought up the phantom pain.
Did you try the forceful contractions?
It is all about perception, depending on the amount of force, the ringing increases or decreases. YMMV.

OhBoy screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 07:34 AM
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #95
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Tinnitus

I definitely have it. Not severe, thank God. At the tender age of 26 mine was cause by gunfire and rock n roll.

Also minor hearing loss but I only really notice when there's a lot going on.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #96
locomacdaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You are correct.

OhBoy-

I apologize. After your comments, and reading the abstract again, I realized I was incorrect on my statement above. I did try the contractions but I haven't noticed any changes yet. My Tinnitus is so bad that I will continue to try this and see if any improvement can be seen.

Did he give you any details on what forceful contractions consists of? I would be willing to pay for the full article if it explains that. Thanks for the info.
locomacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #97
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I'm 51, and I have it pretty bad in my right ear, none in my left ear. I never really noticed it until last winter, when I got a rather bad ear infection in my right ear that pretty much made me deaf in that ear for about a month. When the infection cleared up and my hearing came back, the tinnitus came along with it.

I suspect it was there to some degree before that but I wasn't really paying attention. Probably the real cause was years of weekly usage of a very loud 2 stroke weed whacker on my 9 acres of property to keep the blackberry bushes at bay.

I now always wear hearing protection when weed whacking, but the damage has been done...
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #98
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
...tinnitus is like a phantom pain. Like someone who feels pain in a limb after amputation, our ear hears ringing from hairs that are no longer functioning.
That would have us experiencing the auditory sensations of tinnitus in frequencies we can no longer hear. That generally is not the case.

Speaking for myself, while I do have reduced and blurred hearing in the left ear, the tinnitus I experience almost continuously is equally balanced in both ears, and the sound is effectively located behind me, pretty much at the back of my head. This is not a case of a damaged cochlea sending false signals.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote