ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?
Tomorrow, bring it on! 422 87.92%
Too small, prefer the exisiting 990 and upcoming 1190. 26 5.42%
Too big, prefer a single. 26 5.42%
Not interested in a KTM. 6 1.25%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #211
hvralpha
Born2Ride

Oddometer: 9
Ideal Bike

I am for a 330 pound, 700-800 cc reliable twin that makes 100 -120 Hp on-road and 80-100 off-road. Now that would be fun and kill the existing middel class competition. It is the ideal go anywhere bike if it is fitted with the 1190 electronics and drive modes so one can choose.
Aprilia Tuono Twin 2009
Aprilia Caponord 2000
hvralpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #212
Hammerz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Has anyone thought of using a Triumph 675 street triple engine in a 690 chassis. Before I get lynched the power is excellent and the torque figures are excellent. With a bit of re-tuning, different cams and power curve etc the 105 bhp could be reduced and the torque bumped up from 68Nm. 68Nm is already not bad for a relatively small displacement motor. I can't find the actual weight of the engine but the whole bike only weighs in at 182kgs and the engine has won many awards and has been around since 2008 so a lot of the bugs have been ironed out. The street triple is a very compact bike and goes like stink. I had one for the day when my 1190R was being serviced and the engine is a peach.
Just a thought from out of left field and I'm waiting for the backlash
Hammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #213
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerz View Post
Has anyone thought of using a Triumph 675 street triple engine in a 690 chassis. Before I get lynched the power is excellent and the torque figures are excellent. With a bit of re-tuning, different cams and power curve etc the 105 bhp could be reduced and the torque bumped up from 68Nm. 68Nm is already not bad for a relatively small displacement motor. I can't find the actual weight of the engine but the whole bike only weighs in at 182kgs and the engine has won many awards and has been around since 2008 so a lot of the bugs have been ironed out. The street triple is a very compact bike and goes like stink. I had one for the day when my 1190R was being serviced and the engine is a peach.
One of the strengths of the V-2 powerplant is the nature of its power delivery. It just works very well for off-road riding. One of the key complaints I've read about the modern Triumph XC800 is that it is beautiful on the road but spins up too readily for off-road riding.

Anything is possible. But for me, man I love the sound of the KTM V-twin. It growls in such a unique way. It's all I want to ride.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #214
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerz View Post
+1

I think this combination would be great! From an adventure bike standpoint it would be fantastic. Makes for more "smooth" power and reduced vibration on sealed roads, yet is still an excellent machine off-road.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #215
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,480
I talked to [the western regional rep] with KTM during the demo ride for the 1190 and 1190 R here in Fresno.

Part of our conversation was why stop production of the 950/990? His answer was that KTM's current focus is expanding their street bike market and that the 1190 is a push in that direction.

If the 700/800 twin is a push in that direction I would think it logical that they'd be headed there, especially if it fills a void in their new, street line-up.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #216
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a 800cc twin adventure bike. I'd much rather get a 690 and put a RR fairing, aftermarket seat, and gas tank on it to make it a 690 adventure. Lighter, and still plenty of power for interstate.

My old 650 v-strom had less power than a 690 (63hp vs 66), and weighed about 120 lbs more stock and handled long distances without an issue.

If KTM made a 690 Adventure I'd be the first in line. I also don't need gobs of power like some people do, not that that's a bad thing.
Yep. If you're really doing so much slab that the 690 engine is intolerable, the extra weight and size of the 990 or 1190 seem like a good fit for you.

If you're really looking to get down under 400lb so you can crush some major dirt, I'd think a 690 Adventure with dakar-style fairing, wider seat, and big tank would get the job done beautifully.

Here's another way to think about it. If you are willing to make the sacrifice of running real knobbies on your trip, I'd think the vibes of a single will be negligible. If you're not running an agressive knobby, but more of a 50/50 tire... sounds like a 990 is your bike!
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #217
DRTII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I don't see KTM having any interest in that segment with the current push towards 90/10 street use. I WISH, but that wish would likely just be that. Think about the demographics of all of these so-called "adventure bikes", I see R1200GS ads constantly that state "never been off road"..whaaaAaa? However, they all have one thing in common, about $20,000 in expendable cash. Clearly, that demo backs out to profitability for BMW.

As for the dream of the perfect adventure bike, it's no longer about that, it's about selling the "thought" of adventure. Harley has been selling rich people dreams for years.

Besides, do you know how much business Starbucks would lose?
DRTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #218
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
A p-twin will always be lighter than a v-twin. A shared wall does 2 jobs for the weight of one.
Exception:How did Aprillia build that 450-550 V twin and get the whole bike so light? 230 lbs on the road?
Supposedly the honda vfr1200 V4 lump weighs A LOT, like 180-220 lbs or something.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #219
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 647
As much as I love 4 stroke. i would love to ride a 500 v twin (like Aprilia) 2 stroke Adventure bike.
Tons of power and light weight.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #220
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmoney View Post
A p-twin will always be lighter than a v-twin. A shared wall does 2 jobs for the weight of one.
Exception:How did Aprillia build that 450-550 V twin and get the whole bike so light? 230 lbs on the road?
Supposedly the honda vfr1200 V4 lump weighs A LOT, like 180-220 lbs or something.
I can vouch for the Aprilia V-twin 550 being light, when I had the engine out for a rebuild. Monster power from that little lump.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #221
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
Thumb

If KTM built an 800cc v-twin Adventure that was 20-25kg lighter than the 1190R I would have bought it. would probably still buy it.

Coming from an F800GS I reckon its the perfect capacity for me, but as KTM dont build an 800cc version of the 1190R, I bought an 1190R.

The 690R is a good jigger but way over-priced for what you get,and it costs a fortune to give it any real range!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #222
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
The question we should ask is are you willing to pay $16,000 for a KTM 750 Adventure? I would but I live in the sweet spot. 3-4 highway hours and I am in thousands of miles of trails in Northern WI and Upper MI. That bike would be perfect.

KTM 690 rally with an extra cylinder! Maybe Highland will offer this as an option...................
If they where $16000 in Australia, KTM would not be able to keep up with demand!

An 1190R Adventure is 23K on the road here and there is still a waiting list in some area's!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #223
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Now with Yamaha comming out with the mt7 and mt9 both of them very light for the price they`ll sell and the engines are very good candidates for an "adventure bike", Honda with the budget cb500, nc700, suzuki and kawasaki already having a bike in that displacement size, hopefully its only a short while till KTM comes out with something similar. It seems that manufacturers realized that people need a very light and enjoyable bike and not a techsheet winner.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...ry1|||nulltext this with just 10 kg-s lighter and with a bit more travel can`t be too hard...

Bubba Bauer screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 04:46 AM
Bubba Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #224
twobarb
n00b

Oddometer: 2
They should look back into the Highland engine project, nothing beats a pair of Husaberg jugs mated on a MX sized case. My neighbor has thee of the original prototypes and they have all the power of my 950 at half the weight.
http://www.ushighland.com/engines/
This motor is a bit different than the original that was being developed by Husa
twobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #225
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
ktm 990 with few upgrades/fixes that they all seem suffer and its perfect.

not sure what spooing 990 as its near on perfect

i know want try match rest big adv bike world but why bother as most pop bikes will be mid class 700-900cc

why else did bmw bring 650 single back it was so hugely popular