User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #151
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Great Trip!!!

Thanks for the trip. Great job on the write-up and photography. Got me fired-up!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #152
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Hey Randy! Nate told me about your RR over the weekend, and I got caught up today.

Great stuff, and thanks for the write up!!

It looks like we crossed some of the same ground. Did you get any more pics of the Gemini bridges? We rode that trail, and I didn't even see them!

BTW, the presoak at Hoffman's car wash in Fishkill works like magic on any grime. Even Moab mud. It would save you tons of time scrubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #153
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
Thanks for the trip. Great job on the write-up and photography. Got me fired-up!
Glad you enjoyed it

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #154
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Hey Randy! Nate told me about your RR over the weekend, and I got caught up today.

Great stuff, and thanks for the write up!!

It looks like we crossed some of the same ground. Did you get any more pics of the Gemini bridges? We rode that trail, and I didn't even see them!

BTW, the presoak at Hoffman's car wash in Fishkill works like magic on any grime. Even Moab mud. It would save you tons of time scrubbing.

Hey Fran thanks for checking out my ride! Its funny you say that you never saw the views on Gemini Bridges because I didn't see them either until I rode it the second time. You have to hike a few hundred yards from the trail to see anything, but there is indeed a view. I have lots more pics and I'll upload them here soon for you. Feel free to link to them or whatever.

I love hoffmans! I swear by the "salt away" stuff for getting the road salt off my pickup. Never tried the presoak. I just used elbow grease this time

Old 10-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #155
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Here are the rest of my Gemini Bridges pics

I think the best ones were in my RR but these aren't too shabby either. It's hard for pics to do this place justice as you know!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #156
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Scudrunner - enjoyed the report!

My 1st long trip covered much of the same territory in Moab and Utah including many of the roads you were on.

I started laughing about your sand experience and the river bed dropoff turnaround. My first experience with deep sand on a heavy GS with camping gear, was in Moab, solo, a long ways from nowhere, hot, not enough water and stuck deep after dropping it, making it worse when trying to turn it around. Took everything off the bike, dug around it, drug it, tried to ride it and it grabbed traction and launched off the road into even deeper sand.

Chuckled knowing exactly how you felt bro!

Thx for the Mitas tire report as well. I've been running Heidi K60's and like them very much as well as the longevity, but the Mitas look like a good alternative

Rock on!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #157
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Scudrunner - enjoyed the report!

My 1st long trip covered much of the same territory in Moab and Utah including many of the roads you were on.

I started laughing about your sand experience and the river bed dropoff turnaround. My first experience with deep sand on a heavy GS with camping gear, was in Moab, solo, a long ways from nowhere, hot, not enough water and stuck deep after dropping it, making it worse when trying to turn it around. Took everything off the bike, dug around it, drug it, tried to ride it and it grabbed traction and launched off the road into even deeper sand.

Chuckled knowing exactly how you felt bro!

Thx for the Mitas tire report as well. I've been running Heidi K60's and like them very much as well as the longevity, but the Mitas look like a good alternative

Rock on!

Thanks for reading! Isn't sand an riot on a 1200cc bike?? It definitely makes you pay close attention to what the heck you're doing. Much less forgiving than a dirt bike, The same principles apply though, gas is your friend!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #158
GoneBallistic
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I should add, through the entire trip so far,the only piece of gear that I've been disappointed with are my gloves. I have a light pair of triumph gloves which are great. But my 3 season waterproof ones are Revit Phantom gloves, which are supposedly waterproof. Well, they are not. They are okay in showers but after a few hours in the rain I might as well have socks on my hands. Huge letdown considering how expensive they were. If anyone has good waterproof glove suggestions I'm all ears.

these are the mitts you are looking for

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/ht-eskim...l?listingId=-1

they are made out of some sort of rubber/ashphalt feeling material, with a fleece'ish liner, and you can stick your hand i a bucket of ice water for a day and still stay warm. grippy as heck too.

Great report! I am loving reading it.
GoneBallistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #159
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thanks for the RR. Glad you enjoyed some of what we have to offer here out west. I know I take it for granted too often. Hopefully, someday I can throw a leg over an S10 and head out your way.

Bike clean yet?
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #160
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
Thanks for the RR. Glad you enjoyed some of what we have to offer here out west. I know I take it for granted too often. Hopefully, someday I can throw a leg over an S10 and head out your way.

Bike clean yet?

Yup she is all sparkly and napping in the garage. Enjoy the landscape out there. I take where I live for granted too sometimes, its like two different worlds!

Glad you liked my RR

Old 11-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #161
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBallistic View Post
these are the mitts you are looking for

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/ht-eskim...l?listingId=-1

they are made out of some sort of rubber/ashphalt feeling material, with a fleece'ish liner, and you can stick your hand i a bucket of ice water for a day and still stay warm. grippy as heck too.

Great report! I am loving reading it.
Thanks for reading!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #162
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,311
Hey Randy,How deeply do you think you explored Colorado? Just passed through or did you spend a few days there?

The latest issue of Motorcyclist has a short write up on the Colorado back country and an organization called Backcountry Discovery Routes.

I'm already planning a trip in my head and as of now it includes some exploration of the Colorado backcountry.

What say you?

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #163
Mustang28027
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great trip!

I just found your RR and must say I'm really impressed! I'm already planning a trip out west... but I have a Yamaha FZ1. Not quite a dual sport!
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #164
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang28027 View Post
I just found your RR and must say I'm really impressed! I'm already planning a trip out west... but I have a Yamaha FZ1. Not quite a dual sport!
Thanks for reading! Trust me it doesn't make a difference what kind of bike you plan on taking out west you will have a great time!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #165
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Hey Randy,How deeply do you think you explored Colorado? Just passed through or did you spend a few days there?

The latest issue of Motorcyclist has a short write up on the Colorado back country and an organization called Backcountry Discovery Routes.

I'm already planning a trip in my head and as of now it includes some exploration of the Colorado backcountry.

What say you?
Believe me I spend a large amount of time daydreaming about my next trip. There are a bunch of those BDRs all over the country and they all look amazing.

Due to the weather I had to cut my Colorado experience a bit short, but nonetheless had the most difficult day I ever had on two wheels in the Uncompahgre forest. I'd love to do the COBDR. I think with another person to back you up, it's doable on a big bike. Or even pack up the dirt bikes and do it at a bit higher pace.
That would be a great reason to head west again.