Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #1681
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I'll keep this short as I have to get caught up on the last season of Dexter, but I finally picked up my #150 Rapid Red FZ-09.

I haven't gotten to ride it much, just a hard 4 hours in the mountains of West Virgina, and Maryland, about 175 miles.

I love it. Power is fantastic, Std Mode is brutal, A mode is nice, just a little abrubt, and B mode is buttery smooth but does take away from the rowdy character. Exhaust has a nice howl.
Brakes are pretty good, suspension is a little soft, but worked fine for me. But then again I am not an expert rider either. But after the super taut suspension of my Griso, I didn't really mind it. It was never wallowly enough to get upset in hard cornering, but the pavement I was on was very nice.

Took it down one gravel road and it did fine, it rides more like a motard than a sport bike for sure.

I find the bike extremely comfortable. The seat is firm, but doesn't hurt my ass, and the straight up ergos feel refreshing. I have plenty of room on this small bike. I am a fit 185 lbs, and 5'11, and after 4 hours I felt fine and didn't notice any fatigue from the wind. But keep in mind I ride, and prefer, naked bikes. Although I would consider a flyscreen on this bike simply for cosmetic reasons.

I hadn't even seen one of these in person before I picked it up, and I feel it looks great in person, finishes are nice, and I love the little dash screen other than the LCD tach. There is alot of info available on the tiny thing. And of course the rear fender and hyooge scoolbus blinkers have to go.

My only real issue with the bike is the straight cut gear noise. 3rd gear is mildly annoying, and the other gears are slient. That is, til you get to 6th. That sonofabitch wails from 4000-5500 rpm. Right at cruising speed.
It is so loud, that I preferred to scream along in 5 th unless I was above the 5500ish rpm wail point
I thought it might be messed up until I found online others saying it is normal.

Even so, I love the bike and have earplugs so I can deal.

Bottom line is, I feel like bike was screaming bargain for the $7266 I paid for it OTD before tax, which is a whopping $180 here. So yeah, I am pleased.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #1682
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I'm 6' (also 34 inseam) and I have found if I keep the speed below 90mph it's actually more comfortable than most bikes with a screen. You're sitting in clean air and far less turbulence but apart from that it's no real hardship.

Once velocity gets above that it's a different story
+1

That's why I got a naked bike.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #1683
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
Shame that we didn't get the rumoured TDM replacement with the new motor. Still - there's always next year..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1684
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,475
Just took a test ride on one. Wow! Most effortless power wheelies ever in 1-2-3. Fun bike. Not sure my license would survive longer than a week.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #1685
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,058
I went to the dealer who called me to come test out the FZ, today. Wandered all over the floor, but no FZ's. I was told that the first ones were already gone and the next shipment was already asked for, sight unseen.

I guess it was both good and bad for me, today. It kept me from committing to one, when my money supply is currently slim, but, damn, I did want to ride one, so I could throw caution to the wind and take one home with me. Maybe 2014 will be the right year to have one in the garage. tomp dd50
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1686
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
Bottom line is, I feel like bike was screaming bargain for the $7266 I paid for it OTD before tax, which is a whopping $180 here. So yeah, I am pleased.
If I could find one at $7266 I would buy one today. Great price!
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #1687
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
If I could find one at $7266 I would buy one today. Great price!
I was going to use this post to work the deal on an FZ, but since they didn't have any, it was just wishful thinking. That IS a GREAT PRICE... tomp dd50
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #1688
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
I'll keep this short as I have to get caught up on the last season of Dexter, but I finally picked up my #150 Rapid Red FZ-09.

I haven't gotten to ride it much, just a hard 4 hours in the mountains of West Virgina, and Maryland, about 175 miles.

I love it. Power is fantastic, Std Mode is brutal, A mode is nice, just a little abrubt, and B mode is buttery smooth but does take away from the rowdy character. Exhaust has a nice howl.
Brakes are pretty good, suspension is a little soft, but worked fine for me. But then again I am not an expert rider either. But after the super taut suspension of my Griso, I didn't really mind it. It was never wallowly enough to get upset in hard cornering, but the pavement I was on was very nice.

Took it down one gravel road and it did fine, it rides more like a motard than a sport bike for sure.

I find the bike extremely comfortable. The seat is firm, but doesn't hurt my ass, and the straight up ergos feel refreshing. I have plenty of room on this small bike. I am a fit 185 lbs, and 5'11, and after 4 hours I felt fine and didn't notice any fatigue from the wind. But keep in mind I ride, and prefer, naked bikes. Although I would consider a flyscreen on this bike simply for cosmetic reasons.

I hadn't even seen one of these in person before I picked it up, and I feel it looks great in person, finishes are nice, and I love the little dash screen other than the LCD tach. There is alot of info available on the tiny thing. And of course the rear fender and hyooge scoolbus blinkers have to go.

My only real issue with the bike is the straight cut gear noise. 3rd gear is mildly annoying, and the other gears are slient. That is, til you get to 6th. That sonofabitch wails from 4000-5500 rpm. Right at cruising speed.
It is so loud, that I preferred to scream along in 5 th unless I was above the 5500ish rpm wail point
I thought it might be messed up until I found online others saying it is normal.

Welcome to the club. I have over 1,200 miles on mine now and the gear whine has mostly quieted entirely. Although there is still a fair amount of whine in sixth, which I'm pretty sure is due to the unequal length intake runners.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #1689
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Yamaha hit a bullseye here. My guess is they will address some peoples want of a better suspension with a "R" model, much like Triumph does with their upscale Speed and Street triples. That would put the Yamaha's price in line with the BASE version of the Street R.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #1690
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
Yamaha hit a bullseye here. My guess is they will address some peoples want of a better suspension with a "R" model, much like Triumph does with their upscale Speed and Street triples. That would put the Yamaha's price in line with the BASE version of the Street R.
I rode an FZ-09 that a buddy bought immediately when it arrived at the dealer. The suspension was the ONLY complaint I had.

It looks like guys are already working on it:

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/31-s...spy-shots.html

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #1691
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:

If a TV show is more important to you than motorcycles, why bother???

You guys out east are sooo lucky. Won't be anybody here in CO paying less than MSRP +1K in fees.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #1692
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Colorado, Why not just take a trip east and bring a new bike back to CO. You should have to pay taxes on it only once, but possibly registration in both states. A u-haul trailer shouldn't cost much for a one way trip back home, and around $2 grand in purchase savings, too. Just a thought...tp
Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1693
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
If a TV show is more important to you than motorcycles, why bother???

You guys out east are sooo lucky. Won't be anybody here in CO paying less than MSRP +1K in fees.
We're lucky? Your riding is ten times better than mine.
And you have to travel to find a deal sometimes, I rode 14 hours to get mine and visted a friend so it served two purposes.

I guess next time I just won't bother at all, sorry.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #1694
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Bama, It was worth it. Great report. I guess you bought outside the state. Just wondering where great prices are happening... tp
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #1695
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...ry1|||nulltext

This thing is utterly awesome hopefully it will arrive to OZ soon