User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #2776
ragnok
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Margus

Your English is better than most. No need to make excuses.

Have you considered writing several books to cover different areas of the world? It seems that you just have too many fine pictures to get into one book.

Ron
ragnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #2777
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,986
Question

No matter which way you go I am glad you put it here and happy to be a part!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2778
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
maybe there are some ADV inmates with publishing experience that can help you out?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #2779
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
Yep, just a short holiday dash with the family. Involved some decent scootering so just posting some pics. Don't worry, I'll quit it soon since 2 weeks doesn't produce much photos.

Cheers, Ejigayehu Shibabaw is a stunning diva indeed. She's married to Bill Laswell - another one of my favourites - a great bassist, innovative electronic musician & producer. He records & produces most of Gigi's instrumental music so it's a good symbiosis. Also through Laswell Gigi has been cooperating with high profile artists such as Herbie Hancock etc that has made her quite famous in different World music settings:

Hopefully someday we'll pop into Rome - all roads lead to it

Thanks! Yeah, those old silly debates in the HU - thankfully it's now a distant past

Don't ever say that - if there's something I've learned in my blip of existance is that EVERYTHING in life is relative. Even a crappy snap is still a snap that brings smile into your face 10-20 years later looking at it. While many of my shots often remind me how much work I've done to get them, carrying the gear, framing, light measurement instead I should have looked it with my own eyes all this time wasted on photographing it - this moment always beats even the very best camera in the world.

I've always wanted to go to NZ, too! In fact we wated during our RTW but the cost on shipping first to NZ then to OZ put us off the big map and only to OZ. The stunning pics I've seen from the NZ, it looks like it's an OZ concentrated and amplifyed

Someday!!!
if you come to nz look me up. simonhantler@gmail.com plenty of room here on waiheke island.
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #2780
ANT1
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi Margus

Although i dont comment, I ve been following this epic trip since beginning.

I am also a film photographer, and i am very impressed by your IR pics, as well as interested in your use of drumscanning (my flatbed scanner is far from ideal)

But what impressed me most is that you carried a Pentax67 through the jungle. I have one and I know how much it weights!

Keep the good work coming!
Antoine
ANT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #2781
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Best. Ever!
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #2782
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonhantler View Post
if you come to nz look me up.
Hi Simon,

Will deffo let you know, NZ has been our long dream, in fact it was originally planned into our RTW route, but had to be cut out because of cost reasons. So it's a "missing link" for us and would love to do a separate trip there someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT1 View Post
Although i dont comment, I ve been following this epic trip since beginning.

I am also a film photographer, and i am very impressed by your IR pics, as well as interested in your use of drumscanning (my flatbed scanner is far from ideal)

But what impressed me most is that you carried a Pentax67 through the jungle. I have one and I know how much it weights!

Keep the good work coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdavidz View Post
Best. Ever!
Thanks guys & Happy holidays!

Margus & Kariina
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #2783
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Good to see you posting, merry xmas and happy travelling

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #2784
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
So a few updates from us us well. Time's been quite a hectic time recently, with me & Kariina having too much work. Often we ask from ourselves if we should have gone only to part time work and dedicate more of our time to writing the book. But now that it's been more than 2 years since we finished our maiden voyage and that the book is about to be ready, actually there's a sense in us that the excessive load of information has settled much better in us.

We both agree that it took us at least a year to settle back into normal life, to get the stress levels more or less stabilized, and another year to be able to finally start picking up the real bits and bobs, the concentrated tastes of information stored in our heads and most of all - to be able to navigate around our thoughts more clearly. If we'd written the book fresh minded shortly after finishing the trip it'd probably have been predominantly a rather chaotic dash of unfocused and raw thoughts without any real direction. Often a direction, or a pursuit, a process in itself working towards the goal is more important than the ultimate destination itself. Destination is final wherheas the travel in itself is not. There're so many levels and layers merged into complex melody we know as "travelling". Of course, ultimately a simplistic view starts to dominate over small details - yet we've tried to reproduce some of those small fruits, snippets, nuances that you'd normally miss. This is what we've tried to write about in the book as well.

Kariina's working on translation and I'm about to select the final images, so the print stage should be near.

This summer Kariina finally decided the get a moto licence, she learned everything quickly and got her own bike, a DRZ. Originally I thought of a proper air-cooled Honda XR400 for her since it's a much more complete overlanding package for my oldschool thinking, but there wasn't much available and it would have cost a bit too much with e-start mod. DRZ proved to be a decent choice for her as well and get her first experiences hitting the dirt and hopefully helping her to less painfully settle in the rhythm for our next expedition. Yes, we're still dreaming! Not sure if it'll become a reality, I guess time will tell...

Meawhile riding around Estonia with a film camera:

Gone swimming.

Within space - Baltic Sea.

Dash around centuries old Estonian (cart)roads that are largely abandoned.

An addition to the family - an older DRZ 400 for Kariina.

In the end Kariina seems to be happy with the DRZ.

On typical Estonian tertiary roads.

Twin Alien Towers.

Lake Võrtsjärv.

Northern Estonia, Toolse castle (German: Tolsburg) was a crusader castle belonging to the Teutonic Order. It was completed in 1471. At one point, it was the northernmost outpost of the Holy Roman Empire.

Floating on the way to Hiiumaa island.

Lost?

Old believers' church in Estonia.

Finnish Gulf.

Abandoned USSR architecture.

Estonian winter landscape.

Merry X-Mas & Happy Holidays to everybody!!!

Margus & Kariina
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #2785
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Fantastic photos as usual. I forgot how rich film is. Merry Christmas from Canada.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #2786
mrwwwhite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
You guys always amaze me (us) with every post. Such an inspiration always!
Congrats again to Kariina for starting to ride and I think the DRZ will suit her just fine.
You're so right about the time needed after such a trip to really express the real emotion you've been through. Looking forward for the book and will be an honor to have a signed copy.
Merry Christmas!
John and Ana
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #2787
LGT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
so the print stage should be near
Great

It's a good news to know that your book is almost ready.
Thank you.

PAolo
Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #2788
FargAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
As far as I'm concerned, this thread shall never die. It's one of the most inspiring, well done and documented threads I've had the pleasure to follow.

The book coming along slowly, isn't quite surprising. Your dedication to fine art photography is surely translating into the written word. That being said, when I go back to your first post, and compare it to your most recent ones, your use of English has become nearly indistinguishable from any American/UK rider posting here. (I'm from Austria, living in the US, understanding your discrepancy with it.)

If you're considering the self-publishing route, I would check out the Amazon options, and whether you can go straight to kindle. Also, Graham Field (Flid) who wrote "In search of greener grass" may be someone to talk to. I'm not sure if he self published, but he also did his first run of 90 days on a shoestring budget.

Either way, thanks for keeping this thread going, and continuing the post images and stories, even when you're not on a RTW.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to the both of you!

Mike (FargAT| Fargo - Austria (Vienna))
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #2789
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Your report was loaded with fabulous pix and incredible word smithing…I'll be first in line for your book when it is finally published.

All the best to you both.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #2790
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 611
Happy Holidays

M&K,

Wishing you a wonderfull New Year !!! Give your Mom a hug for me !!

Cheers, Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote