User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #226
george248
runwhatUbrung

Oddometer: 16
different strokes...different folks

I have been keeping up with another ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...787153&page=11
written by an ADVer who is very well traveled. I thought it was interesting to hear his thoughts on Bolivia, compared with other countries he has visited. Have posted a few of his comments from page 11 of his RR below (hope this is not inappropriate or bad etiquette).

I am glad BigAl had a different experience and I thoroughly enjoyed his ride report (look forward to another!)

I also enjoy reading about the experiences of other travelers.

Enjoying your ride report... good luck with the remainder of your trip!

"La Paz and Bolivia in general feel a bit odd to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, whether it's the fact you need to pay three times the local price for gas as a foreigner, or the general attitude that foreigners are "targets". If you don't ask and agree on a price beforehand, it is always a bad surprise"

"People are not very warm compared to other South American countries and are borderline unfriendly."

"Before I cleared the border, I had to pay a two dollar bribe at the police station before I got my exit stamp. I asked for a receipt first and the only answer I got was that everyone paid it. I am done with Bolivia and its people. On to Chile."

"Bolivia wasn't too friendly. Chile is a lot better."
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #227
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Oddometer: 93
Question Where is he?

I've been following this RR and wonder what happened?

Did SA swallow him up?
Tracks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #228
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.E View Post
I'm always the nutcase just because I'm not riding a BMW or a KLR and the funny things is that I love breakdowns. I never get in a bad mood because something breaks, keeping this bike running is the real adventure for me....
Hi T.H.E
You got my respect man. I like the idea of making do with what you got. To think you need such and such a bike to do a particular trip is just plain wrong. I remember reading a book about an Argentinian riding a Honda Goldwing 500,000 miles RTW several times, including the Brazilian jungle from Manaus to Venezuela back in 1984.
And thanks for telling us your experiences in Bolivia. You done me a favour.
Regards,
Mark

PS. Last night I went to the local library and got that book out again. It's 'The Longest Ride' written by Emilio Scotto. It's well worth another read, just to remind me that when things get half hard, it's nothing compared to what Emilio endured and conquered.

TassieMark screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 09:24 PM
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote