Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #61
gun 4 hire
FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer: 128
Casey .... Great report... Love the colorful writing u are doing.

You never found Clair's bear warning because I burned it in the fire straight away. It was unnecessary and only served to possibly scare people away from what was a drop dead gorgeous campsite.

It made some nice coals... Thx Claire !

All who wander sure as heck ain't lost
87 Honda Rebel 450 {soon to be ratted}
http://tat09.blogspot.com/
gun 4 hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #62
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun 4 hire View Post
You never found Clair's bear warning because I burned it in the fire straight away. It was unnecessary and only served to possibly scare people away from what was a drop dead gorgeous campsite.
I always did think Clair was a trouble maker

Good move though seriously, I would've been case & point for that one.

Just a random that has no place
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #63
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 311
Nice!

Just finished your report...very nice! Whether it is balls or ignorance, it takes a certain something to do a trip like this solo. Very nice photos and commentary. I'm hoping to retrace some of your steps next year, but not alone and not at night!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
Just finished your report...very nice! Whether it is balls or ignorance, it takes a certain something to do a trip like this solo. Very nice photos and commentary. I'm hoping to retrace some of your steps next year, but not alone and not at night!
You say that now, night comes on fast

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. Either you mentioned it in Tony's thread or someone else did, plan around the hunting season if you can. I was smack in it and alot of side trails that I would of hit up, I decided to pass on due to all the UTV's, horses and testosterone that was scattered throughout the mountains.

Also in late September you start to deal with campground closures. Late August into early Sept I think would be a great window, but it's a crapshoot regardless.

Loading up over 100GB's of footage has taken me a lot longer than anticipated. I've had to transcode the 1080p in order to even begin to look at it in my editing program. That in turn filled up my 750gb hard drive

On top of that, out of the 100 plus GB's - maybe 5gb are interesting I get bored of watching myself

That being said, I still want to wrap up this report. One of my favorite sections of the entire trip is up next.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #65
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
CaseyB makes a good point about campground closures (I don't usually use campgrounds, just primitive sites, so perhaps I haven't given enough consideration to that).

Primitive sites (no toilets, no potable water source, no permanent fire pit, no bear-proof food storage ...) are always open and abundant. But they aren't for everyone.

I would add to CaseyB's observation that in late September, campgrounds that are still open may no longer provide potable water. Water systems may be turned off for the cold season to avoid frozen pipes.

Hunter traffic can indeed be dangerous in some locales.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
CaseyB makes a good point about campground closures (I don't usually use campgrounds, just primitive sites, so perhaps I haven't given enough consideration to that).
And you Tony make even a better point . There are a ridiculous amount of primitive sites throughout the route. Some real nice ones are noted on the GPS file.

Echo Park was the only time I payed for a camping site. Man I loved that place.

Just avoid Jackson Hole for lodging. That may be why I said what I did in my last response. My brain was focused on were I was at that particular time in the ride report. Sites were closed in and around the Grand Tetons and the ones that were open, were booked solid

Primitive sites (no toilets, no potable water source, no permanent fire pit, no bear-proof food storage ...) are always open and abundant. But they aren't for everyone.

I would add to CaseyB's observation that in late September, campgrounds that are still open may no longer provide potable water. Water systems may be turned off for the cold season to avoid frozen pipes.

Hunter traffic can indeed be dangerous in some locales.
yeah, I gave every single blind corner extra consideration and made sure I wasn't spacing out. Lots of surprises around those tight corners

I think you've covered almost every aspect of this ride Tony. I'm actually going to hold off on giving advice, you really have got this route down pat. Both in terms of communication with a client and letting them know what to expect.

Unless of course someone needs advice on how to talk to random strangers at gas stations, then i'm your guy
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #67
CaseyB OP
Adventually

My roommate, Phil was up at the crack of dawn at our lovely hotel in Jackson Hole.

Phil, I need a pic of your setup for your clothes and personal accessories. I've never seen so many neat little matching bags.

While he and the rest of the crew hit the road, i got up and went for a nice morning jog

Yeah right. I slept in and loved it.

I hit the road bright and early at 10:30.

I had planned to take more pics of the Grand Tetons, I thought the night before had a ton of tourists. It wasn't even close to how many more people wanted a nice afternoon shot. So I just pushed on.

I now was doing the opposite of what I had done most of the trip. And that was very little stopping, very little picture taking, just staying on the throttle for hours and hours at a time. The weather had become cold, rainy and snow was inbound for the Jackson Hole area. I also was running out of time and low on money.

Which is ironic. I had broken off from the LC8 crew due to me wanting to go slower and stop more than them. Now reading their report and matching up the time frame. While they were enjoying a nice early stop at an incredible campsite, I was pressing, going into the early hours of nighttime to try and stay on a schedule that I hadn't realized I had. Go figure.

I made it to some town I can't recall, got a room and hit the hay. I knew I had around 200 miles the next day to make it close to the border of Wyoming and Colorado.

The next day came quick and it was just one of those days where you look out the window and say 'wow, this is going to suck'

Very high wind. One highway had 40 + mile wind gust warning sign blinking in my face.

Add in some rain for good measure and soon as you know it, your rolling into some cool mountain town like Atlantic City and you just keep going (

This was a cool stop though. It's looking into two directions, to my left and to my right

Parting of the ways was up next and man I loved it. Overgrown two track with a ton of historical significance. As I was riding it, my mind started spacing out to how it must have been to do this route with a horse drawn carriage while having the threat of Indian attacks, hunger, or even just the simple things like water. It really was a surreal riding experience.

Just as you are having these wonderful deep thoughts…BOOM, watch out for the front tire swallowing dingo holes. Man those suckers are dangerous

I felt like going right at the parting, just because I was suppose to go left

Made it to Rawlins. Cold, wet and tired. I swung through town to see my options for lodging. The clincher for the place I chose was it had a bar/restaurant inside, looked clean and I could park my bike in front of my room. I checked in, lady gave me my keys and told me my room was in the back. I rolled around back, got off my bike and out of the corner of my eye I saw some bikes 10 rooms down. Yup, LC8 dudes minus one.

I couldn't believe it, these guys move fast. I figured they had already made it back to Steamboat. We all met up at the bar(besides Anthony, who had broken off from the group to head home) and good conversation ensued.

I told Andrew that I would like to ride out in the morning with them. He said no problem.

Of course the next morning at 6am when my alarm went off, i said "f this"…called Andrew up and told him I was sleeping in and to head out without me.

………………….
The rest of my trip was more of the same. Cold, windy and crappy. I did get my only two wildlife shots:

I did get my first flat tire of the trip 17 miles outside of Steamboat, which was my last stop before the long paved road back. I've never swapped a tube before and I'm happy to say that I had it fixed in under 1/2 hr, but due to paranoia about the bead setting, I deflated and refilled it 3 times. So I was stopped for more like an hour, scratching my head.

My original plan brought me from Steamboat back to Boulder through national parks then up over that mountain pass that is the backdrop for boulder, seen here:

Unfortuanately due to the flooding that they experienced, I had to slab it all the way back.

That wasn't so bad until I hit 70. Climbing up those passes past the ski mountains it started to rain, then sleet, then snow. googles suck in the sleety, snowy, rain.

I had a death grip on my handlebars, I was going super slow and I couldn't help think about that tire I had fixed myself. Not to mention that I now had 4k miles on my pirelli MT-21's, those bitches were bald.

It was a crazy way to end my trip. I got off around Golden and stopped at the first Gas Station I saw. I got off the bike, take off my gloves, light up a cig in an attempt to steady myself. Out walks a police officer. He looks at me, looks at the bike and asks "you didn't just come over the pass did you?" I nodded my head. He then did a walk around my bike while shaking his head. At this point i'm saying to myself, mother f***er" i've done close to 4k miles, half of which without a license plate and now that i'm only 21 miles away from my sisters..i'm going to get a ticket.

He said NOTHING. Told me I should replace my rear tire, then opened up to me how he regretted selling his 640. Awesome. We actually high fived at the end of the conversation.

Got back to sis's, pulled my bike onto her balcony and literally bent down and kissed my bike. Yeah, I kissed it and thanked it for performing flawlessly. I didn't use tongue though

Thats it folks. I wish I had some whopper of an ending like: I found a stuck jeep with two distressed, good looking nympho maniac women, looking for my assistance. But no such luck

There is a highlight video that should be due out sometime in 2015 and maybe a gear wrap-up with some random thoughts by Jack Handy.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #68
byways
byways

It's not often that I'm on the edge of my seat, filled with anticipation one moment then laughing out loud the next all through a ride report. But CaseyB, this one did just that ... again and again. And such a happy ending!

Come West again soon, my friend.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #69
CaseyB OP
Adventually

I've had some free time to finish this up.

Put on headphones if you have them. Even the cheap ones that make your ears uncomfortable.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #70
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,427
Excellent video, nice use of color and B and W!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #71
byways
byways

OMG, CaseyB!! I can't imagine how much work went into that vid, but it was worth every bit.

An Oscar winner!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #72
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,049
Thank you, a lot.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #73
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Glad you guys enjoyed it. It was fun making it.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #74
byways
byways

CaseyB, is it correct that you didn't have any mechanical issues with your bike on this massive journey?

If so, what's your secret?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #75
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
CaseyB, is it correct that you didn't have any mechanical issues with your bike on this massive journey?

If so, what's your secret?
Lucky I guess.

If you consider i'm a horrible mechanic that is intimidated by the inner workings of engines and electronics, I was very fortunate.

I did go through the bike with inmate Dirtmongrol prior to the trip. Which in my opinion was huge. It shouldn't be overlooked that a ton of time was spent in his garage going over the bike, upgrading parts, replacing parts, etc..

Only problems I had:

Front flat at the very end of the trip (I stayed around 18psi on mt21's) Only used one set and they had 4k miles on them by the end.

Split in the fuel line that runs to the adapter from the Rally Raid tanks. Which happened due to the metal fuel barb thing being on too much of a downward angle. While the suspension was compressing in the rear, the fuel barb was pushing on the rubber fuel line. It was an easy fix.

My 690 treated me right and I didn't neglect to realize that during or after the trip. I'm also a ton more confidant in changing tubes now.