Oddometer: 2,455
Now we're talking!!!
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #137
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Awesome report and pics Michnus.

I'm originally from Joburgh, but live in the US now. I used to do safari trips throughout Southern Africa in my Mitsubishi Pajero, but nothing as daunting as you okes are doing.
I have a 2007 Dakar. I'm planning a ride around the US next year. It will be mostly off road, and yes, off road here is nothing like off road Africa style

I know that your bikes must be taking an absolute pounding on your trip. Do you think that the Dakars are holding up relatively well, or do you think they should be holding up better?
You seem to be doing a lot of repairs, or is it a reasonable amount based on the punishment the bikes are taking?

Thanks again for an amazing RR.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #138
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,094
Dakarguy, I have this love hate relationship with the Dakars. They are actually good bikes. Yes I had enough shit from them but in hindsight was avoidable.

The issues I had was the water pump gears and I did not knew they were prone to self destruct at 50000km on the dot. If I knew that I would have replaced them before we have set off.
The second failure was in Sudan but that was the pin of the new waterpump shaft that self destruct and I would write that off as an act of god or something.
Then the fuel pump wires on all of them are too short and with the vibrations the one broke off. I fixed it but then the fuel in Ethiopia is better described as Camel piss and it killed the one pump.

What need attention on the Dakars are the steering head bearing. It must be adjusted properly and then checked again after a 1000km.
The Cush rubbers, replace them after 50 000km or so. They WILL damage the carrier housing if worn. And make sure your swing-arm bearings and housing is in good condition.
Get a proper rear shock that can carry your weight and luggage as well as front weighted oil.

Also the handle bars I replaced works well and if you have time and money do that if you can. It makes riding the bike a lot better.

The carrier rack under the rear lockable lid will crack so reinforce it even before you leave. I will post a pic for you.

My bike has a stalling issues, but has not left me stranded. It can not be something serious.

For the amount of abuse we gave them I am amazed they are still running at all. We are currently busy with another 6000km trip in Europe and they, touch wood, haven't missed a beat.

Another thing is, if you go at a decent speed I doubt any other 650 can come close to fuel consumption of the Dakars. They really are light on fuel when you need to do distance with limited fuel stops on the route.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #139
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Yeah, she's a bit of a winger that one. Needs to be shown you care. :)
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #140
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

And the times she is suppose to perform she does.

Never let us down at crucial times.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #141
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,577
+1 on the most fuel efficient six-fidy on the planet

I add the stupid F650 theromostat to the list I melted down in Southern Venezuela, at least the waterpump gears and shaft are fairly easy field fix.

And some people go around saying there are no more of these big fuel-less routes in the world, hog wash, they haven't been to the dark heart of Africa First place I want to get to after South America, way more wild than anything left on the planet besides the poles that are kinda off limits

Looking forward to these next bits. Thanks for sharing what most don't do! 5 stars to me
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #142
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just started to read and its awesome but this BMW . So many problems... japanese rules
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #143
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
Great RR - I'm looking forward to see the rest of it.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #144
BSK
Ohhh mist! Die Bullen!!!!

Oddometer: 349
thanks for sharing
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #145
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
+1 on the most fuel efficient six-fidy on the planet

I add the stupid F650 theromostat to the list I melted down in Southern Venezuela, at least the waterpump gears and shaft are fairly easy field fix.

And some people go around saying there are no more of these big fuel-less routes in the world, hog wash, they haven't been to the dark heart of Africa First place I want to get to after South America, way more wild than anything left on the planet besides the poles that are kinda off limits

Looking forward to these next bits. Thanks for sharing what most don't do! 5 stars to me
We are currently in Europe. Yes, I know I am bit late on update but will soon. :)

There is just something special about travelling Africa and South America and such countries. Fuel is all about planning and it is not on every corner and town. Food is not in MassMart or Lidl's every 20km.
Open spaces and salt of the earth people. I really miss travelling there. Do 500km a day and see no people. Europe is nice but for kick-ass fun Africa and South America must rate as the best imho.
Thanks for following will update as soon as we are back home;)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #146
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks for the reply Michnus. I only got to see it now.

What did you do to the handlebars?

I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to give my Dakar the pounding you have given yours. Firstly because I'm not as mechanical as you obviously are. Secondly because I don't think I will ever traverse Africa or South America on a motorbike.

I look forward to your next update.

Lekker bly.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #147
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Hello Dakarguy

Apologies for the late reply. The one Dakar I did a normal ProTaper conversion and on the other a Magura conversion. The Magura is a rubbish way as the SWMotech clamps does not work that well. The Protaper one works well.

You are in Geneva?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #148
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Forgotten one-donkey town in the middle of nowhere. Stopped for some bread and canned food, this would be last big town we would see for a while.

We decided when back in Kenya from Uganda to look for some overlanders to team up with when back at JJ’s. One couple with two friendly blond haired girls were planning to go that way but did not had space for our stuff in their car, and they in the end also did not do the route as the risk of car trouble and two kids were too great.

No name, just a few shacks and a dust road going through it. The place looked like a typical western spot.

We had a few evenings with people at JJ's discussing whether we must go alone or not. We could argue all the way that a person must rather do such trips closer to home than in the middle of nowhere. But this is why we ride bike after all is it not? I had trepidations about this and did not want to end out trip with one of us getting hurt. But I owe it to her, and she owe it to herself.

Kenya sure is a beautiful country

Eventually we decided to buy some extra fuel cans and water cans and go at it on our own. There’s sure to be places for us to get water and petrol. We do not need to convince a local to give us 70L or 100L of fuel as with 4×4’s and so drain their only source. They would sure be able to spare us 10L or 20L.

Wildlife is on the iffy side.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #149
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,577
Keep it coming man, I was missing this one
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #150
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

There were two or three routes to Loiyangalani, unfortunate for us we had to take the one from Isiolo to Malaret to fill our bikes, extra fuel cans and get water. This was the last town we were able to get fuel and water. The people do not see bikers often and we were surrounded by eager eyes from the locals. We set out late afternoon on very heavily laden bikes on route to Baragoi and South Horr.

The bikes had food for a few days, 15liters extra fuel each and 10 liters of water each.

Not 5km out of town and the road turned to slow, 4×4, technical rock climbing all the way up the escarpment. We only managed 25km for the rest of the afternoon and were looking for a camp spot when we got to this campsite.

With the heavy bikes the going was slow. We had to go slow and be as easy on the bikes as possible.

Amazing as we stop for a rest we see this small cottage just off the road on the escarpment. On enquiry it was less to rent it for the night than we normally paid for camping! The friendly staff helped us unpack, got us some beers, and due to the altitude and the cold at night they made us a Cedar wood fire in the cottage. It is the first time we smelled Cedar wood in a fireplace and it gave off a very nice pleasant sweet smell.

Freaky, that in the middle of nowhere this place pops up and it's as cheap as dirt. The owner is a Belgium wanting to make some business here. I think he is not going to be busy this road has not been used for quite some time.

We knew the next days riding would be hard on us and the bikes, it was nice to have a bit off unexpected luxury before the work start.