ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #91
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
Starting to realize to be a true ADV rider I really need my own GPS. Can someone give me example of good and cheap, excellent and can be affordable, and finally supreme and I'm dreamin'
I have a map60csx that I will sell to you. $250 complete with the maps so let me know. I even think I still have some of the mounting hardware for the bars if I can locate them. The unit is like new but the screen is too small and I can't see it without my glasses.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #92
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I have a map60csx that I will sell to you. $250 complete with the maps so let me know. I even think I still have some of the mounting hardware for the bars if I can locate them. The unit is like new but the screen is too small and I can't see it without my glasses.
This is an excellent unit. I like it so much I bought a second one to keep for when my primary one dies. $250 is a good deal. I saw a new one on ebay for $650 recently.

-dod
Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #93
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,018
i got one a month ago, mounted it to the bike, been out a dozen times now and have yet to turn it on.

kinda funny
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #94
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
I've got a Montana and love it. Bought it with my REI bonus credits.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #95
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
if you bought a Montana with your rei credits, you shop at rei a LOT!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #96
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,641
A few from the night ride from the camera that has a flash.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #97
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I also have a 60Cx with TOPO map installed and it works very well for me. Yes there is that small screen issue, but I carry my "cheeters" in my possible bag.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #98
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Oddometer: 78
GPS's and such

Thanks for the info and the pictures of your set up! I think I am going to grab the one from Refokus.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #99
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
I also have a 60Cx with TOPO map installed and it works very well for me. Yes there is that small screen issue, but I carry my "cheeters" in my possible bag.
Mefadv,
You should carry your spot on your person so that in the instance of a seperation and you can not crawl to your bike, you can still reach your spot. I also thought there was some kind of electrical interference with the spots that suggested they not be placed in near proximity to GPS units?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #100
2 SPOT
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtklod View Post
you should carry your spot on your person so that in the instance of a seperation and you can not crawl to your bike, you can still reach your spot.
word
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #101
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Mefadv,
You should carry your spot on your person so that in the instance of a seperation and you can not crawl to your bike, you can still reach your spot. I also thought there was some kind of electrical interference with the spots that suggested they not be placed in near proximity to GPS units?
Thanks for your concern DirtKlod...
I have thought of pros/cons of this mounting for hours. Let me explain my thoughts. Keep in mind that the SPOT must have clear view of the sky to work. Not under me or lying on my side but straight up and must also be activated.
1. Main purpose of SPOT is to let my wife and others on well-being list is to "check in" every 30 minutes. I just push the checking in button and my location is sent to my list of receivers. My exact location shows up on their email. They have been instructed to be concerned if two 1/2 hour check in are missed. My Endurance has a clock and it is now a habit to check-in every hour & 1/2 hour.
2. If something happens and I'm down and can not reach the bike it is likely that I could not get the SPOT activated or facing upwards either, unconscious or whatever.
3. If I have made no contact within... say 2 hours. Assistance is sent to my last recorded location. Yes two hours would be a while to wait but it would likely be quicker assistance than most.
There were several other reasons but I'm tired of typing . This is the location I believe is of the most use to me. Read the SPOT thread as there are several reasons to have it on your person also. Just a personal preference I guess.
Yes I understand there has been some reports of electrical interference with GPS units. However, in the past two years and approximately 4000 miles of hard use. Also using three different GPS units and have never noticed any interference of sending "checking in" messages. I have been fortunate not to have needed any other SPOT signals.
I truly believe these are a great piece of equipment... as does my wife!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #102
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
word
This is my peace of mind link that is sent every 30 minutes...
See above post

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://fms.ws/EXrgh/33.99059N/112.86061W
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #103
2 SPOT
wannabe

well thats cool, at least you know the pros cons and have a system set up.

my wife wouldnt be concerned until the day after i was supposed to be back home, and that could leave me laying somewhere for a few days if i went down on the first. i keep telling myself to get a spot, must be the luddite in me, i only just recently got a GPS, but havent used it yet.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #104
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
. Just a personal preference I guess.
Just like Dirtklod mentioned earlier, the preferred place to be is on ur body somewhere where it can be reach by both hands. This tech has been for over 15 years taking from Dakar races or the like. They use beacon sensors activated via satellite where they can be monitored live all along the race. These beacon are designed to be inside the racers jacket. The spot is also critical for maritime activities. I usually keep it on my chest protector where left or right hand can reach it to press any button,
imho.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #105
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Just like Dirtklod mentioned earlier, the preferred place to be is on ur body somewhere where it can be reach by both hands. This tech has been for over 15 years taking from Dakar races or the like. They use beacon sensors activated via satellite where they can be monitored live all along the race. These beacon are designed to be inside the racers jacket. The spot is also critical for maritime activities. I usually keep it on my chest protector where left or right hand can reach it to press any button,
imho.
Don't tell my wife that I'm using it incorrectly... There will be HELL to pay!
I may never be allowed to ride off the property again. Just circling around our 5 acres, uphill & down over and over. Sounds like a trials set-up to me. Thanks Eddy I'll point out that you suggested I get a new Beta, just to be safe. You may be getting a call from her soon just to clarify your suggestion of the Trials bike, my buddy-pal.